A Quiet Exhaust

• I added a 1320 exhaust system when I installed my supercharger. I thought it was loud at first, but got used to it because I wanted to drive. It is too loud, so now I am making my own exhaust. I know that my system may end up being loud, but it will be different.

I am using a Borla muffler, and resonator, along with a high flow cat. I really only added the cat in hopes it will also act as a muffler. So, it will be 2.5 inches throughout, but it starts with a 3 inch flex coupler and the cat is actually 4 inches. The cat is rated for engines up to 500hp. I am also making this side exit. It is really tight in the engine compartment, and I started by cutting down the inlets and outlets of the muffler and resonator to shorten everything.

Along with this, I bought a tig welder and am going to do this myself. I talked to a professional welder, who will step in if I need help.

• I would think it was fairly quiet with turbo. My 2.4 isn’t loud with its turbo and running mufflers. My 6.2 dumps out after the turbo without mufflers and isn’t what I call loud, actually sounds damm good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Yep I'm waiting for a 2.5 muffler that is quiet but wakes up when putting the peddle to the metal. It must also be hidden. Funny thing is, if I like it it doesn't it matter what the wife thinks. She wears a helmet and doesn't wear her cochlear implant while riding. So she is deaf while riding in the sling. I will not get any complaints about how loud the muffler is.

• I also had the 1320 header & exhaust in combination with a supercharger. A bit to loud for the wife and myself. I thought I could idle out of the neighborhood but the sound resonates and bounces of the houses. Using the stock set up now while looking for a set up that is a little quieter low end and wakes up upper end.

• I still say the stock exhaust system with the cat delete is the best sounding exhaust. If you also rmrmber that I bypassed the internal cat in the stock muffler. This is what I am running on Sling II, I do not know that I will install the Welter Duals on Sling II at this time. I removed the Welter from Sling I and it is totally back to the stock exhaust

• I have tried the stock exhaust, with and without the cat. It is too restrictive for the direction I am taking my build. I have seen the threads of the mods done to the stock exhaust. I planned on kicking things up a notch, so those options were just short term compromises to me. I skipped that step.

I have also tried the first natural aspiration exhaust system from ZZP, with the chambered muffler. What I noticed about that setup was the header made for a "sloppy" sounding exhaust lope, which I really liked. However, the chambered muffler was too loud. If the header would work with my supercharger, I would build my exhaust off that starting point. I have heard their rear exit exhaust, but I want front exit.

I bought the 1320 system to work with my supercharger. I wrapped the entire exhaust hoping that it would suppress the sound a little, but it is a barely noticeable difference.

Here is a 3D model of the layout of my exhaust. What is missing is an elbow coming off the exit of the muffler, and then from that elbow it will continue thru the inner fender, etc.

• Impressive, you should move to my neighborhood! :grinning_face:

• I really like the look of that can!

• Oomp ,Did you fabricate the heat shield against the firewall? If not where did you get it? If/when I replace the stock exhaust I want to modify or replace the stock shield.

125952-zzp-exhaust-wide-shot-jpg

• If the header would work with my supercharger, I would build my exhaust off that starting point. I have heard their rear exit exhaust, but I want front exit.

Just for my own knowledge, when did you get your supercharger kit? I was told by another person about 4 months ago that our header did clear the Supercharger kit. Wondering if DDM made changes to it recently.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Let us know how it works. I also am looking for a quieter exhaust for the DDM Turbo.

chavey2 Are you still on 3 wheels? I have a welter rear exit made for a bullet speed quad kit that will fit the DDM turbo setup. I would think it would also fit other quad kits out there. DDM modified the exhaust to fit but we made the down pipe for it. Customer was running their 6758 kit at the time.

• Kyle, I installed my supercharger last summer. I installed the 1320 exhaust two weeks before my supercharger arrived, and I didn't remove the 1320 header to be able to confirm the ZZP would fit. So, I could be wrong and I hope I am. Again, I like the sound.

Before I installed the 1320 header, I did a visual comparison and took some measurements on both headers. After my supercharger install was done, seeing how close the silicone tube was to runner #1 it seemed I made the right choice. I still have everything and will probably physically check the fitment this winter.

• chavey2 Are you still on 3 wheels? I have a welter rear exit made for a bullet speed quad kit that will fit the DDM turbo setup. I would think it would also fit other quad kits out there. DDM modified the exhaust to fit but we made the down pipe for it. Customer was running their 6758 kit at the time.

Still on 3 wheels. (Have absolutely NO desire to go to 4.)

I was looking at your turbo rear exhaust, reading about the drag vs street mode and wondering if there was something I could do to modify that. Heck, if all else fails, can I buy just your transmission mount so that I can get a local guy to fab something?

• I still have everything and will probably physically check the fitment this winter.

If/when you do check, if you remember please reach out and let me know. My direct email is kyle@zzperformance.com If it doesn't, I'm wondering if something can be modified either on the design of the header or a different coupler or intake tube on the SC kit.

• Still on 3 wheels. (Have absolutely NO desire to go to 4.)

I was looking at your turbo rear exhaust, reading about the drag vs street mode and wondering if there was something I could do to modify that. Heck, if all else fails, can I buy just your transmission mount so that I can get a local guy to fab something?

I recently sold one to a guy running a DDM turbo kit, He told me our down pipe is about 3" higher than it needs to be for the DDM turbo kit. He said he had an exhaust shop modify the down pipe and it fits now.

• Welllllll, vendor says beginning of the year or spring for new 2.5 exhaust system. Guess it's allot harder to design something than I imagined.

Thanks I'm liking the DDM Supercharger with stock exhaust for now. Have no problem waiting. But if and when a suitable balance between performance and sound arrives I'll hop on it faster than a smoking rear tire! Keep us posted!