Yes, ANOTHER Tire Thread - but this one is slightly different. Truck Tires on the SS?

• Okay, I know. I've searched. And I've read. And I can't find this answer.

So, looking to replace the Nitto 555 G2 rear tire on the SS - on a Twist Dynamics 22" rim. Beyond the traction issues, I've always felt the tire was never wide enough. It's a 295/30R22 on an 11" wide rim. Which makes the tire profile look like this: /~~~\ - that is - the wheel is wider than the tire and it doesn't protect the rim. I'ld prefer something like this: |~~~| or this: \~~~~/

So I was looking for 315 or 335 width tires in that same 22" diameter. And of course Nitto doesn't make a wider tire for the 22" rim. You really come down to about 4 real choices:

• Michelin Pilots - at $650+/tire
    • Pirelli P-Zeros - at $550+/tire
    • Toyo Proxes STIII - at ~$200/tire
    • Lexani 30's - ~$300/tire
    • Then a couple no-names in the $200-300 range (Atturo, Lion-Heart, etc)

Here's the question: The Toyo are actually a Sport Truck/SUV-performance tire, even though they are in that very low profile range. I'm not worried about load (SS is very light) or speed ratings (I'll never get to 150+ MPH even with the turbo). Would there be any problem running the STIII on the SS?

What other things should I worry about? Edu-mi-cate me.

• Looks like the beginning of one of the most visited threads on Gold Wing forums . . . "can you or can't you run a car tire on the back of a Gold Wing"?

Thousands of riders have ridden millions of miles with a car tire on a bike. I see no reason not to put one on a Sling.

• Seen the same when I was on the Victory forums - lots of converting to Cooper car tires.

I was just wondering if there were other considerations I should think about? Rubber Hardness? Sidewall Design? Maybe too stiff for being set up for a heavier load? Tread pattern on these is directional, but don't know if that hurts or helps. Looking for some tire experts out there.

• Looks like the beginning of one of the most visited threads on Gold Wing forums . . . "can you or can't you run a car tire on the back of a Gold Wing"?

Thousands of riders have ridden millions of miles with a car tire on a bike. I see no reason not to put one on a Sling.

Like this one:

That was 2008.......... angel-squared

As far as an ST tire on the Slingshot .... probably just be mindful of the tire weight. A truck tire could be much heavier effecting acceleration, braking, and suspension feel.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Since truck tires are generally focused on durability, my main concern would be how hard the tread is. IF you can find a truck tire that is carries a rating similar to the performance tires you'd otherwise run, then you're probably OK. As an example, the Nitto 555 G2 has a treadwear rating of 200. The Slingshot's stock Kendas are around 300, IIRC.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Well, maybe I should have looked at the hardness specs - these are 500.

But oh well, bought now and installed. And considering it was less than 1/2 the cost of the Michelins or Pirelli's, if all else fails, I can change it soon enough (<10K miles).

Here's side by side and mounted.

It's only about 1/2" more in total diameter, but over 1-1/2" wider - 11.6" vs 13.2". I think I may have screwed up though because in that 335 width, it's supposed to have 11"+ wheels - which I thought the TDs were. Turns out they are 22x10.5, so the guys had a little bit of a problem getting them to seal and take air. But a little more elbow grease (and tire grease), they they got it done. (Brand name shops wouldn't do it. I went down to the local guys who don't say much in English and tipped them a little when it was done.) I didn't expect those Yellow/Blue/Red strips tho' = they look like they go all the way through the tread.

• Nice lookin’ tire. With the 500 hardness they should spin up right smartly. Will also wear much longer than the 555s. Watch yourself in the corners, they might be a little less sticky than you are use to.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Nice lookin’ tire. With the 500 hardness they should spin up right smartly. Will also wear much longer than the 555s. Watch yourself in the corners, they might be a little less sticky than you are use to.

actually I am not so sure about the lasting longer - I had the nitto motivo on the back with a 560 treadwear rating and it didnt last well at all - yes its harder, but as you point out it also spun up real easy and I think that was like spinning it on sand paper - the Nitto 555g2 which is only 320 seems to be holding up much better

I am sure that a harder compound should last longer under normal driving conditions than a softer tire, but I think the spinning causes more wear that shortens the life more than the harder compound extends it

of course this could just be a case of my heavy foot being the problem and not the tire :/

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Yeah, I'll watch that. With the Nitto 555G2s, I could pretty much spin whenever I wanted while they were cold (into 4th gear), but I did notice that as they got hotter, and the temp got hotter, they stuck a lot better. That's why they might be so good for you Edward Neal - that nice "cool" Palm Springs weather is suited for those tires. But cold or wet, those 555s were scary. We'll see how they hold up to Texas weather (where you have to use the heater in the morning and the AC in the afternoon). I took them for just a 5 mile drive, not pushing them, and they seemed fine.

• Thought I'ld give an update after having this tire for about a month now.

Dry traction is pretty good, better than the Nitto 555G2. Took a corner probably a little harder than I should have last night and the tire squealed like a stuck pig, but I never lost rear traction. Pretty impressed.

Also pretty decent in the rain. Not that I wanted to drive it in the rain, but I've been caught 3x in the last month and the rear handled fine. The SS is still too light and I floated a couple times, but I never lost full control.

And the Red/Yellow/Blue lines do not go all the away thru the tire. They are worn off the thread, but still in all the grooves.

• Nannies OFF on wet roads....