Quad Gear Ratio

• For those of you running a quad setup I am needing some advice. I am planning on going with a quad kit from Trak Hamr. His quad axle is from a C4 Dana 36 and is running a 3.73 gear. This is the highest gear ratio you can run on a Dana 36. The default gear ratio for the Slingshot is a 3.67. What I am looking for is a combination of both drive ability as well as being able to hook up the rear tires for 1/4 mile.

I can upgrade the axle to a Dana 44 which will allow me a range of gear options from 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.55 etc. At present I am not worried about the gas mileage. I currently have a turbo on the Slingshot, and I am running around 360hp.

I am looking for any advice on selecting the best gear ratio and if anyone has run larger gears other than the 3.73 like the 3.90 or 4.10

• Hello,

On our 4 wheel conversions, typically with a turbo at that power level we go with the a 3.45 final drive. The 3.73 will work great though and basically feel pretty much like stock though, the shorter 3.90, 4.10, etc is going to keep you spinning the tires in most of the gears.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

Dave

• Thanks for the response Dave. I am planning on running M/T street radials 305/45/18 on the rear running at 20 psi. With the gear recommendation of 3:45 you are saying it would actually hook up better than a 3.73 or 3.90? I thought with the higher gears I would hook up better even though I would be shifting through the gears much faster. Or am I confused that the lower gears give you more hook up?

• Thanks for the response Dave. I am planning on running M/T street radials 305/45/18 on the rear running at 20 psi. With the gear recommendation of 3:45 you are saying it would actually hook up better than a 3.73 or 3.90? I thought with the higher gears I would hook up better even though I would be shifting through the gears much faster. Or am I confused that the lower gears give you more hook up?

The rear end ratio is the multiplier of the torque from the engine (actually from the transmission, since the gear ratio there also is a multiplier of engine torque), so a 3.91 multipliers the torque more than a 3.27 ratio. The 3.91 goes to a lower top speed in the same gear compared to a 3.27 and the 3.27 would have a lower RPM in the same gear compared to the 3.91. When you start adding power, you can go to a lower multiplier (gear ratio) because you have more power coming from the engine and the lower number final drives allows you to use the gears in the transmission instead of just blowing the tires off in the earlier gears.

• There is a lot more to hooking up besides the gear ratio. The slingshot is so light weight that it does not respond like a car does. Keeping all that in mind you are wanting to do two sides of the spectrum so best to stay in the middle. The 3.73 or 3.45 are fairly close and any more than that would be spinning your wheels without doing all the other things to increase traction. The stock sling can easily spin the tires, I am very happy with the 3.73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Ok, I am starting to see the bigger picture now! I guess I am thinking back to my younger days when I had my 70 Chevelle with a 396 and a 4:11 rear end. I didn't stop to think about the weight ratio with the SS.

• Slinging_in_TX here's a simple chart that will show you what happens to rpm at a given cruise speed with the different rear end ratios , Say you normally cruise at 70 mph , you can see a stock SLR slingshot (3:65) will cruise about 2300 RPM where as a 3;45 will be just below 2200 and the 3;27 just below 2100 rpm So really while not a lot of difference, the most popular (and economical) Plus 1 seller(3:27) will fetch the best gas mileage, and with a little added power you can blast up through those rpm ranges in a heart beat. but even without boost, gearing down will blast you through the 2100 t0 2300 rpm range in the blink of an eye.

I ran the Trak Hamr almost a year, before the Camaro based packages came out , though it is not charted here , the 3:73 would cruise at 70 mph at about 2340 rpm . I now run the 3;45 LSD In one of our new V2 Plus 1 kits. While the same Camaro based package, the new sleeker V2 chassis manufactured in house, allows us to control availability , currently 3 to 4 weeks

MiM

• I really love how tucked in those wheels are... 🤤

My opinion, but based on looks alone, best quad kit! Why do you tease me kev ???

Send me a demo to be your Southern advertising partner... 😆

Then you don't want me telling you about this one. Saw it at MV and it was BEE-YOU-TEA-FULL!! The white in the stock photos don't do it justice. It's a whole 'nuther level above the other quad kits out there. (And since Kevin sells it too, I don't mind pointing it out over his kit above.)

( kev - You actually should post those Quadzilla rear photos instead - it really was beautiful.)

• lol chavey2 if you are talking about that lime squeeze one with those monster mickey thompson's you're right its an absolute work of art . I would post one of the many pics I took of it here but they're still in my phone lost on the damn Rattler someplace . . and now I find out any pics you take while roaming on data don't sync until you get back home on wifi so I don't even have the cool pics DER took of me and my sexy quad kit , wait slash that , sexy and Kev don't belong in the same sentence lol

• I heard that he wouldn't tell anyone the price of those rims/tires while his wife was in ear-shot. Heck, you already spent 5 digits on the rear end. Can't get in more more trouble than that?

The calculator in my head was ringing it all up. Without looking under the hood I could see mods that cost more than I paid for my sling.

• AND YOU WANT TO KNOW SOEMTHING ELSE COOL ABOUT TIMS QUAD? the next time you see one of the coolest Slingshots, He'll be sporting one of the coolest windshields lol ,

Thanks for the Nascar recommendations from Nascar owners at Maggie, Tim said he talked to a couple there and got good reviews, so thanks who ever you were !

• lol chavey2 if you are talking about that lime squeeze one with those monster mickey thompson's you're right its an absolute work of art . I would post one of the many pics I took of it here but they're still in my phone lost on the damn Rattler someplace . . and now I find out any pics you take while roaming on data don't sync until you get back home on wifi so I don't even have the cool pics DER took of me and my sexy quad kit , wait slash that , sexy and Kev don't belong in the same sentence lol

Kev, there was a FB post from Jared Henderson "Polaris Slingshot Owners" group from June 5th that someone found your phone. Posted to ask anyone that knew you there to tell you to get a hold of your daughter since the guy that found it called her. I assumed that they had linked up with you in Maggie Valley before you headed back. Hope you can get your phone back.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)