Some info on the heat reduction kit offered by Polaris.

• I know this is old info but it was news to me. So here it is....

After almost having a heat stroke the last few days I decided to look at the heat reduction kit offered by Polaris. I have noticed there is a huge difference in price between the 2015 and the 1016 kit.

The 2015 kit is priced at close to 300 dollars and the 2016 kit is priced around 90 dollars. After some digging I have found out why.

The 2015 kit comes with a SMALLER battery and a new tray. They are supposed to take the existing battery out and replace it with a smaller style battery. I cant imagine anyone wanting a smaller battery.

The 2016 kit does not have the battery or tray because you would already have the small battery.

So if you want to order the kit I personally would make sure I ordered the kit for the 2016 even if I had the 2015. You may have to explain that to your dealer. Most dealers will just go off of your real year model and order the kit.

Just wanted to share this bit of knowledge. I have a heat kit coming and I will do the install with lots of picture. Its pretty much a pain to install because You will have to remove the hood and the front frame member. And I am fairly sure you have to disconnect the radiator hoses to install it.

But from what I have read it will cause the heat to be deflected downward and into the bottom wind stream. So that has to help 90.00 worth.... :D

And by the way..... The dealers has to charge to install this kit. Its not a recall or warranty. The only way that would happen is if the heat caused physical harm to the SS or the person. And it doesn't. Dealers probably get around 300 to install it I would guess.

Also I have noticed that a few of the vendors offer heat kits. And some of them have more coverage plates than the Polaris kit. Can't say if one is better than the others because I haven't installed any of them.

• the kit came on my 2016.5- after suffering thru last summer with my old SL- I cannot begin to describe what a wonderful change it makes. Last year- anything over about 97 was agony on the feet and lower legs- this year- been riding in 105 degrees- warm, but not on fire, and not bad enough to cut the ride short!

• Rab, absolutely correct in the 2015 vs 2016 kits. The reason stated by Polaris is the weight issue they're still trying to stay under (1750 pounds). To install the 2016 kit in a 2015, they felt it would be too close to the max weight so they opted to use this as a chance to reduce the weight via a cheaper, smaller battery. As for the radiator shroud, there have been a few who have installed it without removing the hood or sub frame. I'm going to be looking to do that kit as well once I finish the DEI kit if I need more reduction in heat

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• HUGE HUGE difference. I have a 2016 (not 2016.5), so I drove it for the first 500 miles without it, then had Cycle Springs add it when they did the 500 mile service. You won't believe the difference! I think most of the heat reduction comes from the Radiator shroud, at least for the driver. I literally never have hot feet (and I'm in Florida!). That's with socks and Sneakers on. And I haven't plugged any holes, etc. Still have the stock muffler too.

• Rab, absolutely correct in the 2015 vs 2016 kits. The reason stated by Polaris is the weight issue they're still trying to stay under (1750 pounds). To install the 2016 kit in a 2015, they felt it would be too close to the max weight so they opted to use this as a chance to reduce the weight via a cheaper, smaller battery. As for the radiator shroud, there have been a few who have installed it without removing the hood or sub frame. I'm going to be looking to do that kit as well once I finish the DEI kit if I need more reduction in heat

FITS,

I've got the DEI kit and it does help with the passenger heat and radiant heat at the transmission tunnel. But, it does nothing for the driver foot-well. The Polaris kit does the trick for that.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Definitely worth doing..It made a world of difference on the Maggie Valley trip. You don't have to remove any hoses other than intake hose along with air filter. Don't try it with the hood in place. Hood comes off very easily and does not need to be adjusted when bolting back on. Clip the ties holding the wire harnesses in place--you'll see which ones as you unbolt the front lower subframe. There's enough wire length to just let it drop to ground and then you'll have enough clearance to get the upper cross member off so you can set the shroud in place.

• It will be interesting to see the first turbo people install this "heat kit" radiator shroud. My guess is, that it will be a nightmare because of the additional turbo plumbing and intercooler.

I am guessing it will take some cutting and some additional curse words. Hopefully not though...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Do NOT remove the front frame section to install it. It will fit in there once the radiator and the fan is removed. Don't even have to remove the aluminum crossmember that the radiator mounts to. I did a write up on this already and posted some pics on here. I bought the shroud only since I had aftermarket exhaust. The shroud works great for reducing cabin heat, but will increase the opreating temp of the motor.

Stephen

• ........and if you have and Alpha skid plate you will have to cut a rectangular whole in it so the downward forced air can escape.

Alpha said that they were trying to find a workaround but that any cuts in the plate at this point would render the plate ineffective

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

• Do NOT remove the front frame section to install it. It will fit in there once the radiator and the fan is removed. Don't even have to remove the aluminum crossmember that the radiator mounts to. I did a write up on this already and posted some pics on here. I bought the shroud only since I had aftermarket exhaust. The shroud works great for reducing cabin heat, but will increase the opreating temp of the motor.

Stephen

It's only 4 bolts for the front subframe and a couple on the crossmember. Not sure I'd want to drain radiator and remove hoses, radiator and fan unless I was changing over to silicone hoses at same time.

• Alpha said that they were trying to find a workaround but that any cuts in the plate at this point would render the plate ineffective

True, unless you reinforce the area where the cuts are made. There are some attachment points where you can add brackets for that.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?