Riding daily

• Yep, SS #3 topped over 15K miles in Maggie Valley. Between SS#1 (~2.5K miles), SS#2 (11K miles) and SS#3, I'm at about 28K+ miles in 3 out of 5 years (2 yrs missing in the middle due to accident in SS#1), I too use it as a daily driver when it's not raining, but now with Working From Home, it doesn't get out much. Even my truck only had <5K miles on it in the past year until this week in Maggie Valley.

• I have just turned a little over a 100,000 miles on the 2015 & 2016 Slingshots --- 2016 has 85,000+ and going Strong. I thought I was doing well to almost keep up with a couple of friends who have 150,000 and 120,000 miles until I meet a 'good ol boy' from Texas who has put over 240,000 miles in the seat of a Slingshot. Got a ways to go to catch him.

• I got 2.7K but they don't add up every fast when a long round trip is 40 miles. I drive it nearly every day if it doesn't look like rain and Susan and I take a trip around the lakes in the evenings but those 5 miles trips don't even warm up the tires.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Hi all. Been looking at a Slingshot for many years and just might make it happen this year. It would have to become my daily driver if I do - but fortunately only 10 miles round trip to work. My question is this: is it really viable as a daily driver? Does the automatic vs manual help? And never having driven a motorcycle or anything open air, how does it feel to drive during 100+ days (central valley CA)?

Some different questions there, but all related to consideration of a daily driver replacement (in addition to road trips of course.)

Thanks in advance!

Mark

• You probably want to talk to Edward Neal since his is truly a daily driver in a warm/hot environment. I ride to work a few times a week, but end up taking longer to get there since my slingshot route to work isn't the same one that I use when driving my truck... Not to discourage you, but my experience has been that people that move from bikes to slingshots do a lot better than car people moving to slingshots. For me the sling came when I was deciding on whether to trade my HD Super Glide for a touring bike or a slingshot. Both offer similar benefits (tunes, GPS, storage, wind protection, comfortable seating, etc), but my wife definitely liked the Sling better and the fun factor was a lot higher for the Sling than the "old man bagger" I was considering at a similar price point. You will get rained on, you will be hot and sweaty, you will smell like the road but you will do it all with a big smile on your face as long as you accept what a slingshot is and what it isn't.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• Hi Mark

I live in Palm Springs CA and the day I brought my Slingshot home in 2017 I gave my car to my daughter. Since that time my Slingshot has been my daily driver I can probably count the times I have not driven the Slingshot to work and used my wife's car on one hand. Personally I wouldnt go back to driving everyday in a cage if you paid me, but I also know it is not for everyone in just the last two weeks I have ridden in 123 degree weather and I have also been caught in a cloud burst and been hit with rain that not only got me very wet, but at 55 to 60 mph it hurt (was actually concerned that it might turn into hail =O) I tried a roof on the slingshot, but didnt like it - sun, rain, wind - - - I love it all

As to stick or automatic - - I love having stick and banging through the gears so personally I would recommend going with the stick if possible

100 degree days - - I consider that fairly cool, but I will be the first to admit that I like the heat more than most - when I was younger I chose to go to college in Arizona and later I chose to move here - heck to me anything under 70 is downright cold

Anyway - I hope you find this information helpful and if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask

Ed

Oh - quick edit just to add I moved from a car/truck to the slingshot, I did ride and own motorcycles in my youth, but at the time I bought the Slingshot I hadn't ridden a motorcycle in well over 30 years - - - frankly it has been very enjoyable to go back to that feeling of being immersed in everything going on around me, being a part of it, like I did in my motorcycle days as apposed to looking at it out of a box with a window in it and feeling like a spectator

one more quick addition - it is 100 degrees outside right now and I will be heading home in my slingshot in about 50 minutes - - not bad today was 116 yesterday :thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Edward Neal Is probably the best to answer....He lives in southern CA.

The @ calls attention to that person. I live in Northern Indiana and bought in Feb of 2015 and have over 100,000+ miles in the seat. Love it. Not a 'daily' driver -- I'm a residential painting contractor so don't use during the day but do in the evening doing estimates and such.

• You say it would only be driven 10 miles a day... and you call that fortunate!? 😉

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Thanks all, especially Ed. Appreciate the info and essentially the confirmation I wouldn't be making a mistake.

The "fortunate" part of living only 10 miles from work is strictly from a mileage/fuel cost standpoint. I currently drive a 2018 Honda Civic SI and at 53, I have to say it has been my second-favorite vehicle ever (second to my beloved-but-long-gone Crossfire). Even with the short trips, I'm getting 35mpg. I fill up once every 2 to 3 weeks. At current prices, that's "fortunate". :)

I've received a quote on my build-out from a local dealer and still have some decisions to make. First is if I can sell my car back to my dealer for enough to pay it off plus money down for the Slingshot. Considering the Kelly on it plus the constant stream of "we want your car!" emails from my dealer, I think I have a good chance right now.

I really am torn about the auto vs manual. Mainly from a comfort standpoint. Being in a manual now, I love it - mainly because the SI doesn't come in an automatic, but also because I've always gravitated towards manuals - love the performance gain. Crossfire, Mustangs, etc. However, on my way home from a recent A's/Giants game in the bay area, I was stuck at 1am in construction traffic for over an hour. Nasty, move-an-inch stop-and-go that absolutely killed my legs. And my wife refuses to drive the car because, while she CAN drive a manual, prefers the auto she has for the same comfort reasons. I welcome any pros/cons from anyone with similar considerations. I've also read from multiple sources that the 2021 auto is much improved over the 2020, provided you pop it into "Slingshot" mode. Is this accurate?

Regardless, if I can make this work, I WILL be in a Slingshot soon. I've wanted one for too long and the wife is now fully onboard, even saying she'll shuttle me on rainy days if I want. She was initially worried about the safety, but I reminded her she drove a SMART car for 5 years so.... ;)

Thanks again all.

Mark

• The improvement is in the software I have that on my 2020. I was one of the owners with the 2020 autodrive that had it shifting into neutral while driving. I nearly got run over by a F350 that was tailgating me when it went in to neutral. Filed a report and got the DOT evolved so they had to fine the cause and it was software. The software also smoothed the shifting out. About half my cars and trucks and cycles since 1962 have been stick shifts but I just wanted a laid back and cruise vehicle when I bought the Slingshot. Heck it is hard to stay out of trouble with the auto with the sling I would probably get my first ticket since I started driving. BTW don't expect to get that 35 mpg.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• The improvement is in the software I have that on my 2020. I was one of the owners with the 2020 autodrive that had it shifting into neutral while driving. I nearly got run over by a F350 that was tailgating me when it went in to neutral. Filed a report and got the DOT evolved so they had to fine the cause and it was software. The software also smoothed the shifting out. About half my cars and trucks and cycles since 1962 have been stick shifts but I just wanted a laid back and cruise vehicle when I bought the Slingshot. Heck it is hard to stay out of trouble with the auto with the sling I would probably get my first ticket since I started driving. BTW don't expect to get that 35 mpg.