Both Lowes I visited this weekend had memorial Day displays in one of their veterans parking spots

• Went to Lowes to buy a new refrigerator when mine went belly up. Well they told me I had to register online to get the discount. I went to Home Depot first and all they require is for you to show your Military ID but they have changed it so that only the first $500 is covered under the discount. That is why I went to Lowes. Well I had to go to Home Depot anyway as it is hard to do with out a refrigerator. I have since signed up on line with Lowes.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Years ago Home Depot (at least my local store) only offered a discount on Veterans day. At that time I registered at Lowes for a year round discount. Now Home Depot offers a discount year round with no registration. I believe the founders of Home Depot are very pro military and have good values.

Today I think it's easier to just show ID as at Home Depot. For me Lowes is about five miles closer so it's my first go-to simply because it's closer.

• From - https://members.veteransadvantage.com/offers/home-depot-10

home depot logo

Home Depot - 10% OFF

Home Depot offers a 10% OFF military discount on regularly priced merchandise for in-store purchases for active duty, retired military, and reservists at participating locations. Customers are required to show a valid government-issued military ID card to redeem this offer.

The Home Depot does not post an official military discount policy online, or in their stores, and it may be unevenly handled at checkout.

Here is what we understand to be the general restrictions on the Home Depot 10% OFF military discount:

1. It is only available in participating stores and not online.

2. You’re restricted to a maximum order size of $500, so the most you can save on any single purchase is $50.

3. Family members, spouses, and dependents can't get the discount on their own.

4. There are exclusions on full-priced merchandise which include Home Depot installation services, special-purpose appliances, and all gift cards.

Three days a year as a holiday promotion, Home Depot offers U.S. veterans 10% OFF regularly priced items for in-store purchases. You must show a military ID that Home Depot finds acceptable at their discretion for veterans at checkout. This offer is promoted at participating locations in the U.S and is valid on the following holidays:

• Memorial Day
    • 4th of July
    • Veterans Day

Details of the Offer

• You need to show a military ID or other proof of military service at checkout.
    • The company's military discount varies by store location.
    • This military offer is not affiliated with or supported by our Veterans Advantage Partner Coalition.
    • In some locations, your VetRewards Card from Veterans Advantage may qualify as a valid military ID card for the Home Depot holiday promotions. Simply ask.

I prefer Lowe's since they offer their Veteran's discount everyday and, AFAIK, do not place a maximum sales amount. Generally speaking, it seems that Home Depot's pricing is usually cheaper than Lowe's, often close to Lowe's pricing with discount or a little more.

• I don't carry my govt, issue military ID card but i do have my veteran status on my drivers license -- trouble is Home Depot does not recognize this form of ID -- come on Home Depot, you have to submit a copy of your DD214 to the state before they will put your veteran status on the license -- mean while I do all my shopping at Lowes --- Home Depot has lost a lot of my money over the last 10 years

• I am proud to carry my military ID all the time and if asked anywhere for ID it is the first thing I show them. I spent 21.5 years to get that card and I am going to use it.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Some states, like Texas, will place a VETERAN designation on your driver's license and require you to submit proof of service. In my case, I did 11.5 years AD, and got out as a SFC who never spent a full night in the field, including Bivouac in Basic Training. I really enjoyed my assignments, but our Assignment Manager was determined to start rotating everyone into tactical assignments and not track some to strategic assignments and others to tactical assignments as had been done in the past and it was too late to turn me back into a conventional soldier.* I then did another 24+ years as a DA Civilian, so I use the VETERANs designation on my DL.

* While I was going thru my Advanced Individual Training as a Voice Intercept Operator, I remember seeing SSGs with 9+ years of service choosing to get out rather than facing a tactical assignment and it wasn't until years later that I found myself facing the same decision after having held strategic and Instructor assignments for 11.5 years. I made SFC in 9.5 years, but the system the Army used offered some of us some very good assignments, it also meant that a soldier could become a Senior NCO w/o receiving the proper exposure that would allow full development that should accompany the rank. My NCO training courses concentrated on MOS_specific training and did not address the administrative needs of getting a platoon or larger force grouping out in the field with proper support and other deployment issues such as defensive perimeters, etc.

The VA also issues an ID card to show you are a Veteran and the card is supposed to be accepted by businesses. See - https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/.