Holster choices! What do you use and why?

• That is something that will probably start a new collection for that person. I have a drawer full of holsters. First it depends on the gun as most holsters are made to fit a brand and model. Then you got to know if you want to carry inside the waist band or outside the waist band. How you dress can make a big difference how you carry. Then if the weapon is small enough you might want to pocket carry and there are some soft holsters that have a outer surface that sticks to the pocket so just the gun comes out when you draw. Then do you want a leather one or plastic one. I have a couple leather OWB from Wright Leather Works I really like. If you wear IWB do you want a padding between your skin and the hoister. Do you want a thumb strap or not to secure the weapon better. As you see it is not easy to just pick one and get it right the first time.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

Would need more information. For starters...

weapon choice

draw preference

type of apparel

climate

occasional or full time carry

I/we have several options that we rotate to cover a range of situations .....

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Everything DJohnson said plus the advice, DO NOT buy a cheap holster. Retention is the number one issue for me. I'm normally active, getting in/out of vehicles and on/off equipment, and I don't want my weapon leaving the holster. It is common for an EDC guy to have a box full of holsters that just didn't quite work out or that you improved on.

I use the Clinger holster now and love it. It can be configured for IWB, OWB, appendix or deep carry. What makes it unique is a leather tab on one end making the attachment to your belt flexible on IWB and OWB carry (I do both depending on clothing), allowing it to suck up next to your torso. It also has a velcro attached cushion to soften the contact with your body. They are model specific and have retention adjustment screws. They're not cheap at about $75 but are well made in the USA and are worth it in my opinion.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I'm a huge fan of the Stealth Gear holsters. They're super comfortable, they don't stick to your skin, and you can wash them. They are also modular so you can get different "shells" for different guns for the same holster. For concealed I like their Ventcore IWB Mini. The also make a Ventcore appendix carry that I also like. For hip carry OWB or under a sweatshirt I like Flex. I also have a Safariland OWB paddle holster that is super comfortable. During the fall and winter months I usually run a shoulder holster. Galco makes one called the Miami Classic which is super comfortable. The down side it is also pretty expensive. A good alternative would be from either Stoner Holsters or Alien Gear as they are extremely similar. During the summer in shorts and a T I generally have an Uncle Mike's "neoprene" holster that I appendix carry. That is a nice one as it does not print and it is washable. It was also like $12. Stealth Gear ships pretty fast. I ordered an appendix carry from them a few months ago and lead time on the site was 4-6 weeks. It arrived in 2 weeks. They also sell replacement parts for their holsters which is nice.

Unfortunately what works well for one person may not for others. the holster game sucks because it is all about trial and error. I would wager that most of us that carry have a drawer with at least $500 full of holsters collecting dust for one reason or another.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I do not recommend appendix carry I just don't like where the muzzle is pointed. I don't plan on shooting myself but if someone grabs my weapon and the trigger then the boys could be in trouble.

• I do not recommend appendix carry I just don't like where the muzzle is pointed. I don't plan on shooting myself but if someone grabs my weapon and the trigger then the boys could be in trouble.

Appendix carry looks effective for concealment with smaller pistols if you are standing up ALL the time. How does it feel when sitting or getting into your vehicle? Do you have to remove it from the holster? Anyone? I know this is gaining in popularity.

If someone grabs my weapon down there they might just find a hair trigger. 8|

• Appendix carry looks effective for concealment with smaller pistols if you are standing up ALL the time. How does it feel when sitting or getting into your vehicle? Do you have to remove it from the holster?

I like it. I was on the fence at first. One with the comfort level and also with the barrel so close to the twig and berries. 8o But if you're training regularly and are comfortable with that position, you should be fine. Your finger shouldn't be near the bang stick when drawing and your holster should cover it anyway. In a scenario where one is right handed carrying on their strong side and a would be attacker approaching from the front, it would be pretty hard for an attacker to draw your firearm from the appendix position quickly and effectively to turn on you.

With appendix it's all about finding the "right" holster that fits you. With my Uncle Mike's neoprene holster, I can walk, run, sit, drive, whatever. Never any issues. The stealth gear is also fine while sitting and driving for me but that would be the largest one before it will start getting uncomfortable. I really like the alien gear holsters as far as modularity but they have a massive foot print and would be really uncomfortable in the appendix position. For me, the trick with appendix carry was to find a holster that has the barrel kind of rest in the crease between your groin and thigh when you sit to get the most comfort and mobility out of it. Now, where all of this goes into the toilet, is if someone has a belly that would hang over or rest on the firearm while holstered. I cannot see this being remotely comfortable and pretty much any other carry option would be better in that scenario.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• My friend uses a holster that looks like you are carrying a cell phone and fits his S&W 9mm Shield. no worries about concealment as the gun does not show. I would not be my choise as I would hate to see his draw time. But then I doth he has had the gun out of the holster since he bought it over 4 years ago.

• My state of Washington was considering legislation to make it a felony if you accidentally showed your weapon while carrying concealed. I believe it died, but if it passed I was going to try to start a statewide practice of carrying an empty holster in partial view to burn out law enforcement on trying to enforce it. You could still carry in another location on your body of course.

• Unfortunately what works well for one person may not for others. the holster game sucks because it is all about trial and error. I would wager that most of us that carry have a drawer with at least $500 full of holsters collecting dust for one reason or another.

You are absolutely correct about holster choice being like playing roulette.

You would lose your bet with me. I own exactly one unused holster: a Bianchi leather holster with a metal belt clip. It was plenty comfortable, but I stopped using it because the metal clip was scratching up my car seats.

Personally, I carry a Taurus PT-709 and a Springfield XD-S 3.3 w/ laser and carry each IWB in the small of my back (one at a time) very comfortably.

The Taurus is in a We The People Kydex holster. I absolutely love the Kydex, as it is custom fit to the Taurus. Retention is no issue, as there are retention adjustment screws.

My Springfield is also in a Kydex holster, but this one is from Theis Holsters. The only reason I didn't go with We The People is that they don't make an IWB holster for my Springfield with laser. They make one for the gun without a trigger-mounted laser, but not one with.