Mrs. Gibson's steering column heat fix

• All credit goes to my wife for this one. After throwing a LOT of money towards the passenger side heat issues, she noticed that the drIver's side also needed help. I showed her the holes around the pedals and steering shaft and explained that most seem to use tape and foam to plug the holes but there didn't seem to be a neat and easy fix around the steering shaft.

After poking around the shop for a few minutes this is what she came up with: Take a standard size foam paint roller cover and cut approximately 3 7/8" off the end. Then cut it once lengthways so that it can be slipped over the shaft just below the joint, pushing the other end through the firewall. Using 2 1.5-2.5" hose clamps moderately tighten down to hold the cover together. Don't tighten too much or you can deform the plastic liner. All you are trying to do is get it tight enough to be a solid tube again. The bonus is the worm gear mechanism will keep the tube from slipping too far forward.

Works great and has no binding against the steering!

• I actually took it out tonight to check it after putting 350 miles on it this weekend and there was no difference. It's ambient heat, not direct, and not as high temp as it would be on the passenger side. I see no reason why it should not work at least as well as the upholstery foam etc that most are cramming into the space. If I find out differently, I will make sure and share it with the forum.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke