This passes inspection?

• My brother sent me this pic. I was shocked to think someone is driving this around. It looks like a solid axle from a quad. Still, I can't see driving the vehicle at highway speeds. I don't have Instagram so I can't see all the available pics and vids.

• That pic looks like they mounted a second wheel to the pulley as it certainly looks like the stock swing-arm is in front of the closer wheel in the pic. I wonder if/how they managed to center both wheels on the rear if they used that approach. At one time I had wondered about something like that, but getting both rear wheels centered on the rear was my main concern and I lack the detailed fabrication skills to attempt something like that anyway. Hard-mounting a wheel to the pulley would mean that the lack of a differential would cause one of the rear wheels to lose traction during turns.

I'd love to see more links showing/discussing what they did!

• If that's in fact a real set up and not simply something cute someone staged for a photo op, I suspect it will collapse under its own weight very soon, if it hasn't already, or, at the very least, come apart at the seams when one of those wheels encounters less resistance than the other and decides it wants to go faster. Look what happened to SoCal and all he did was put his wheel up against the curb. I hope the individual that's nuts enough to drive that thing realizes it's an accident just waiting to happen. 😒

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• The link worked for me and I don't have an account. Unfortunately, the posted video walk-around shows virtually nothing about the 4-wheel conversion. You can see the swing-arm and belt, but that's about all. Rigid axles w/o a differential were used on some early cars, but eventually abandoned. @Tripod's capture shows an axle moving the the normal driven wheel to the left and you can see where the new wheel has been positioned to the right, presumably centering the two wheels. I'd still like to see more to see how they handled the equivalent of a differential.

• I still want to know how they modded the swing-arm if for no other reason than simple curiosity.

Looking again at the pic Tripod posted, I wonder if they have some type of free-wheeling mechanism on each wheel that allows it to freely spin whenever the other wheel has traction. This has my inner would-be engineer's interest.

• A quick Google search for differential alternaives found this -

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MGR-MS75-28/reviews. Based on the reviews, it sounds like it might work if the swing-arm could be modded to accept a 2-piece axle that joined by the Mini-Spool.

An article of mini-spools -

https://www.hemmings.com/stori…le/spools-and-mini-spools.

It's funny though that the pic looks like the Slingshot still has the stock swing-arm, yet a spool would typically install in a standard differential. Just makes me wish I knew more.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• it would be more practical and more likely that the left wheel only receives power. The other wheel could be free spinning at all times. This would allow for the different speeds In turning.

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• it would be more practical and more likely that the left wheel only receives power. The other wheel could be free spinning at all times. This would allow for the different speeds In turning.

I was also thinking about that possibility, but I can't tell from the pic I've seen.:/ It's really tough having to deal with first world problems.:D

• Hell, I wouldn't drive ANY 4 wheeled vehicle that has 3 WHEEL BRAKES

looking at the closer view that Tripod posted I am not sure that thing has any brakes in the back - - its pretty clear that neither wheel has a disk in the normal location so unless they moved to something mounted inboard - - - - - - ?????

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Like driving a 4X4 with a locker in the rear that you can't get to unlock. They make a kit for Harleys to convert them to three trikes in a half ass way. They are still driven by the original wheel only. To me it would be like adding a training wheel.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• looking at the closer view that Tripod posted I am not sure that thing has any brakes in the back - - its pretty clear that neither wheel has a disk in the normal location so unless they moved to something mounted inboard - - - - - - ?????

To me, the area I circled looks like the disc brake…

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• if you make changes like this to a vehicle you assume legal responsibility should there be a wreck. Usually they want to sue the manufacturer for negligence. The manufacturer is going to throw you under the bus. Especially if you did all the modifications yourself...think about all the people that want to jack up frames and put on oversized wheels and tires... you completely changed all of the handling characteristics built in by the vehicle designers. Giant wheels and tires change the braking capabilities. The changes made to this SS looks like tinker toy parts. How much of the braking power has been removed by adding the extra wheel?

• This person seems to be in the takeover clique that rides quads and dirt bikes in downtown Philly (area code 215). I am sure this thing is all show, and is just driven on city streets. If you look at a quad solid rear axle, this is mechanically possible to create. I just don't think it's safe. The bearings are probably bad as we speak.

The white band would be LED's but I do believe Tripod is correct .....

With the hollow factory axle it would be fairly straightforward to run through a solid axle with a flange to the original wheel/caliper mount. Should make turning quite the adventure and the owner proficient at bearing replacements but judging by the posters online activity doing things "right" doesn't seem high on their priority list.

.......wacky-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......