I don't want a roof, but.....

• I am only selecting the above picture to make a point, not to put down the top itself, and pointing out a "problem" of the majority of the tops designed for the Slingshot, where look at the sun shining on the seats? The time most of the tops are effective in protecting the rider(s) is only when it is directly overhead, otherwise, at least one of the riders is typically in the sun.

Bill

you will not get complete protection, even in a car unless you tint the windows. Is it much better protection from the sun than without the top? Absolutely!!

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• I know this won't currently help, as I don't think meansling is up and running again just yet, so for that I'm sorry. We went with the quickshade. Didn't want a roof but needed to get the wife out of the sun on the long rides. Installs in 5 minutes and then once done completely breaks down and stores behind the seat.

• I have researched this a little, but no one has asked quite this question. I don't like roofs- my ss replaced a bike. I like the occasional bug on my forehead and to be able to see 'everywhere'. However, I survived cancer and am now surviving 2 years of maintenance chemo. My oncologist says no bikes, or trikes, or convertible cars (no sun). So it's sell our beloved ss or buy a roof. We live in a small town, so I have never seen an ss with a roof, just pics. Question 1: any opinions on what roof is the 'least noticeable', or looks the most like it's 'factory'. Question 2: I have a stock windshield with Baker wings on the sides and top. Would you recommend a taller windshield with a roof? (We have a 2015.)

so, a question, is it not an option to cover with things like long sleeve moisture wicking shirts, hat/helmet and sunscreen?

I would think that these things would provide as much if not more protection than a top

I live in the So Cal desert and I have 5 long sleeve white moisture wicking shirts that I use on our 110-120 degree summer days - - had a top for the sling but never really used it, like you I want the open air as much as possible - the shirts and my helmet seem to give me much more protection than the top did - the top only helped if the sun was not coming in at an angle

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• so, a question, is it not an option to cover with things like long sleeve moisture wicking shirts, hat/helmet and sunscreen?

I would think that these things would provide as much if not more protection than a top

I live in the So Cal desert and I have 5 long sleeve white moisture wicking shirts that I use on our 110-220 degree summer days - - had a top for the sling but never really used it, like you I want the open air as much as possible - the shirts and my helmet seem to give me much more protection than the top did - the top only helped if the sun was not coming in at an angle

I don’t ride when it’s above 150

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I don’t ride when it’s above 150

110 - 120

typing never was my strong point cv argvV AXcv d

• so, a question, is it not an option to cover with things like long sleeve moisture wicking shirts, hat/helmet and sunscreen?

I live in the So Cal desert and I have 5 long sleeve white moisture wicking shirts that I use on our 110-120 degree summer days - - had a top for the sling but never really used it, like you I want the open air as much as possible - the shirts and my helmet seem to give me much more protection than the top did - the top only helped if the sun was not coming in at an angle

I can't speak for the OP but, my wife does all of this. Hat, uv blocking fishing shirts, and sunscreen on exposed skin. She likes to wear shorts or Capris in summer so she uses a light cover on her legs.

2016.5 Pearl White SL LE

• I know this won't currently help, as I don't think meansling is up and running again just yet, so for that I'm sorry. We went with the quickshade. Didn't want a roof but needed to get the wife out of the sun on the long rides. Installs in 5 minutes and then once done completely breaks down and stores behind the seat.

I have the quickshade too and love it, but don't think this is available anymore. Ruptured Duck isn't active right now with the job change.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• I am only selecting the above picture to make a point, not to put down the top itself, and pointing out a "problem" of the majority of the tops designed for the Slingshot, where look at the sun shining on the seats? The time most of the tops are effective in protecting the rider(s) is only when the sun is directly overhead, otherwise, at least one of the riders is typically in the sun

Bill

Added note: OP states, "My oncologist says no bikes, or trikes, or convertible cars (no sun). "

https://www.slingmods.com/pola…ustable-sun-visor-utv-tek

that’s the reason I made this visor.

the visor is 12” it added 10” more shade it over laps a little. Since it’s curved it really cuts down on sun coming into the cabin. It follows the curve of the down pipes.

• Boy I was wishing I had one today. To much Sun baking my brain and I didn't feel well when I got back from todays ride to the beach. Had my Polaris ball cap along but it just made it hotter. it is that mid day Sun that is over head that a top would shade you from. As it gets lower in the sky it is not so hot on the head even tho it is still hot out. I am still going to try to make it through the summer with out one.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Boy I was wishing I had one today. To much Sun baking my brain and I didn't feel well when I got back from todays ride to the beach. Had my Polaris ball cap along but it just made it hotter. it is that mid day Sun that is over head that a top would shade you from. As it gets lower in the sky it is not so hot on the head even tho it is still hot out. I am still going to try to make it through the summer with out one.

104 outside right now - but only 6% humidity

not even close to summer yet

little 1/2 helmet seems to keep the direct sun off the head as good as anything

• Thank you everyone! Can't believe the response I got. Between the stem cell xplant and the meds I am just too susceptible to the sun. My oncologist said no to a slinger roof cu z I could still get so much sun in from the side. Blue Cross has paid almost a million on me so far, guess I better do what the doc says. So the slinger is sold, he's picking it up this morning. We bought a Miata MX-5. Starting in 2019 they boosted the hp from 150 to 181, quite a jump. Some forums say "finally a fast Miata....". So the 19's and 20's hold their value so well that we went to Phoenix and put a lot down on a 21 and used the Mazda .9% financing for the rest. I will not insult anyone by saying the Miata is as fun as a slinger. Nothing is as fun as a slinger. But if you can't have a bike or trike, I think the MX-5 is about as close as you can get.

• Thank you everyone! Can't believe the response I got.

Nothing is as fun as a slinger. But if you can't have a bike or trike, I think the MX-5 is about as close as you can get.

Think your MX-5 just fell in love with an SL.

Gonna be some tears in the driveway tonight.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS: