Original front speakers

• ;(My right speaker crackled for a long time then quit working altogether. I took it apart to see if it was blown or what I can’t tell. couldn’t get the wires off to take it out to go compare at Walmart for another speaker. When I touch the wires together on the yellow side it blew out(no sound) the other speaker. Heard a pop. Now the left one is not working I need suggestions of what happened what I can do to fix it. And how I can keep my wife from being ticked off at me. Need help in Indiana. PS leaving for Gatlinburg Tennessee on Sunday

• ;(My right speaker crackled for a long time then quit working altogether. I took it apart to see if it was blown or what I can’t tell. couldn’t get the wires off to take it out to go compare at Walmart for another speaker. When I touch the wires together on the yellow side it blew out(no sound) the other speaker. Heard a pop. Now the left one is not working I need suggestions of what happened what I can do to fix it. And how I can keep my wife from being ticked off at me. Need help in Indiana. PS leaving for Gatlinburg Tennessee on Sunday

I hope this plays out well and you find an easy fix, but in the end, if it doesn't work out, I removed the stock speaker pods from mine with the 8" Rockford Fosgate speakers still in them. Let me know if you want them and we'll work something out.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Sounds like both speakers are blown and must be replaced...

I just read the original post from Mailman more carefully and I can only speculate that when the two yellow wires were touched together, which I assume carried the line-out speaker signal from the amp, it may have fried the amp, hence why the audible "pop" was the last thing he heard. The only way to know for sure is to connect the speakers to another audio source and see if they work at all. Given the age of the sling, I wouldn't rule out a cracked magnet, at least in the right speaker, hence why it sounded so bad before it died. If I'm correct about the fried amp, there's a good chance the left speaker still works, but if you replace one of them, you might as well replace them both and you'll likely need a new amp, too. By the same token, if you connect a multimeter to those yellow wires, you should see a DC signal of about 4 to 8 volts, if the amp is still working. If you don't see any volts at all, then the amp has given up the ghost. Hope all this helps.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I am with Roadhawg on this one. If you had the amp powered on when you touched those speaker wires you probably blew the output power circuit in the amp. I do repair on guitar amps and that is what would have happened to a guitar amp. If you have a multimeter you can check those speakers with the meter set to ohms. It will not read exactly 4 or 8 ohms as the 4 or 8 is impedance not resistance. Impedance is ac resistance is dc. Speaker voice coils do open as the wire they are wound with is very small and if by chance you over power the speaker you can damage the voice coil.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Thanks for all the responses. I will test with multimeter tonight. I hope amp isn’t fried. I’ve got to speakers being overnighted to me. So hopefully that’s all I’ll need. I’ll let ya know on here how it all worked out

• Being a old guy I much prefer to work on tube amps then solid state. Yes let us know I am interested in what you find. I might be interested in your old amp if it is blown I would be interested to see what the damage and the price is right. Lets hope it is just the speaker. Any chance it is still under warranty? They don't need to know how it got fried.

If the music is to loud you are to old.