An interesting look at Starlink's Internet performance

• I'm in the zone! I'm looking into this right now. We're using Hughes Net for internet and it's slooooooow. Thanks again BKL . You're a rock star!

Edit: 2 minutes after i posted my wife figured out that they are at capacity in our area through 2021. Possible availability in late 2022. $99/month and $500 for equipment. We can pay $99 now to sign up for 16-18 months out. No bueno.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I'm in the zone! I'm looking into this right now. We're using Hughes Net for internet and it's slooooooow. Thanks again BKL . You're a rock star!

Edit: 2 minutes after i posted my wife figured out that they are at capacity in our area through 2021. Possible availability in late 2022. $99/month and $500 for equipment. We can pay $99 now to sign up for 16-18 months out. No bueno.

We dumped Hughes Net about 6 months ago. Switched to Viastat - tremendous difference. Hughes net was = to AOL Dial up - they lie about speeds.

Viastat we average 40-50 down and sometimes higher. Local electric company took over running fiber. I called and asked when we could expect it in the area.

The answer was "Sir you were the last folks to get electric"

Fiber is wonderful I have it at my cabin and we average 80+ up and down.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I have had ViaSat for about 18 months. Service is much faster than anything else available in the "boondocks" where we live.

Speeds avg 50-60 mbs down compared to AT&T wireless @ 8mbs. Love the service HATE the price $$$$$$.

• So, just out of curiosity what do my friends here consider to be fast download and upload speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• So, just out of curiosity what do my friends here consider to be fast download and upload speeds?

Just tested mine with 2 different apps & it’s running over 300 Mbps (Xfinity cable)

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Okay so what are the minimums you would consider fast?

• I had Hughes DirecPC back in the 90s, with dial-up uplink to a local ISP and then connecting to DirecPC for the downlink. We sometimes had as many as 4-5 PCs online at the same time and I don't really remember that much competition for bandwidth. Of course, websites seemed to require far less bandwidth than modern websites seem to use. My Daughter used to do custom web design and a lot of her work was refining websites that used stock templates so that they ran faster. It seems that a lot of modern websites seem to use programming languages with the processing needs for high-level code vs machine code.

Overall, I have some big problems with Starlink's approach since Musk basically wants to setup a satellite network that has more satellites than have been orbited sine the start of the Space Age. There's a picture of the Starlink satellites interrupting astronomical observations and I feel that it shouldn't have been approved for that reason alone. The prospects of satellite collisions raised in the article are another reason I have concerns. Musk seems to be doing the same thing with Starlink he did with Tesla - selling untested tech to customers and worrying about fixing it later. He claimed they'd prevent interference by painting the satellites black, yet he already has enough satellites in orbit to cause problems.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I am a gamer and have been for 45 years. I still play online with my son and his friends. Gaming was the only think that kept me going when my wife of 40 years dies of cancer. A satellite connection does not work for gaming to much lag in the game while data goes up and and back. You end up shooting and something you see that is really not even there anymore. I have ATT fiber and it is great. Hate AT&T but they beat Comcast which I had for many years.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

It really depends on how you want to use your connection to the internet.

If you want OTT services plus HSD - then 25-50MB is recommended.

It also has a lot to do with what technology can reach your place.

From DSL, Bonded DSL, Vectored DSL, DOCSIS, PON, or symmetrical PON (1 Gig down and up), etc.

I work for a Telco/MSO so I have worked with everyone of these, plus many more.

We are currently installing XGSPON now in some of our areas (10 Gig symmetrical), but not to homes directly.

Nothing will beat fiber (PON), especially symmetrical, but no one really need this kind of speed at their house.

You cannot download any faster, that the server uploading the data to you.... not to mention the backhaul limitations or core network issues. I am of the opinion that having 200MB down and 50MB up is more than enough for most folks.

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.

• wish I understood some of that it sounds interesting

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• On Spectrum at my home I get around 480 down & 23 up