Angle Drive oil?

• I recently asked that same question. Someone said Polaris now prints the users manuals with 85W-250, but rabtech said similar weights and viscosities work just fine. I'm using 75W because it was all I could find at the auto parts store.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I agree where 75W-140 apparently has been doing it's job without complaint in our angle drive, but still am curious why Polaris has apparently changed to using 85W-250, GL-5 fluid? I have noted that finding 85W-250 from other vendors outside of Polaris is pretty difficult?

Bill

• At around 22K miles, I replaced the stock lube in my 2015 Slingshot with Redline Heavy Shockproof which is supposed to function as a multi-viscosity lube equivalent to a 75-250W lube. It's very popular with the HD folks for quieting the transmission and is not recommend for wet clutch use common to a lot of motorcycles. After changing the lube at around 58K miles, I evidently didn't get the Angle Drive fully refilled and it started making very loud noises. I ordered a replacement Angle Drive from http://www.ronniesmailorder.com, but when it was delivered, I found that the shipper must have had the package on its side as lube had leaked all over the place from the top-mounted vent. The lube was very thin and more like pneumatic tool oil. Before I actually swap the new Angle Drive in for the old one, I plan on draining and refilling the new Angle Drive with more Redline Heavy Shockproof.

• BKL Thanks for the line on Ronnie's website and the link. Great source for parts.

I try to check as many sites as possible since the same site will not always necessarily be the lowest price for all parts. Ronnie's was definitely the lowest price for the Angle Drive.

Here's the sites I usually check -

Cheap Cycle Parts

Part Shark

Ronnie's Mail Order Parts

CyclePartsNation Polaris Parts Nation

Powersports Warehouse

PowerPartsPlus

TMSPARTS.com

You'll notice several sites use the same basic formatting.

• Another oil thread! :huh::huh::huh: :D

Like BKL , I'm a fan of the Redline Heavy Shockproof. It's pricey, about $65 a gallon from Amazon if I recall correctly. In my first SS, I used the factory's oil, then tried Mobile 1, followed by Royal Purple, then went to the Redline. The angle drive was quieter and stayed that way until it was getting up around 90 degrees or hotter. I've used it since and been very pleased.

• I switched to Royal purple about 5000 miles ago, I was getting a terrible wine after traveling at highway speed‘s, and intermittently around town. I read several post saying the royal purple will help, after about 100 miles the wine disappeared 100%. Super happy I switched to Royal purple.

• I switched to Royal purple about 5000 miles ago, I was getting a terrible wine after traveling at highway speed‘s, and intermittently around town. I read several post saying the royal purple will help, after about 100 miles the wine disappeared 100%. Super happy I switched to Royal purple.

OK, a bit of fun here where for a while both the tranny and the angle drive were "optimized" to purple inside, but the result was that nothing actually changed from the original. :( Today the tranny is still purple, but the angle drive has been Lucas'd, mostly just to satisfy curiosity, and guess what? Yep, you got it, nothing changed! :evil:

But there has been something that has positively reduced the whine over the years and adding miles, and what has that been? Very simply, the adding miles, where the more the SlingShot is ridden, the quieter it continues to become! :thumbsup:

Bill

But there has been something that has positively reduced the whine over the years and adding miles, and what has that been? Very simply, the adding miles, where the more the SlingShot is ridden, the quieter it continues to become! :thumbsup:

Bill

This is true. Polaris only "roughly" machines the gears. It relies upon them actually running against each other to do the "final" machining to get them nice and smooth. That's all those particles you get from the first oil change. My first one at 1500 miles shown up almost iridescent due to all the metal particles. The 2nd oil change (5K miles) they were barely noticeable. By the 10K oil change, they were gone. So Drive, and Change Oil at the beginning.

• I am getting ready to change my angle drive oil for the second time and I have a question. I have owned a lot of outboard motors and when I changed the foot oil, I would fill the foot from the bottom drain plug. This pushes all the air out and when the oil would start running out of the top plug I replaced the top plug then the bottom plug. (You loose very little oil doing this) Then I would remove the top plug and add oil if needed to top it off. Has anyone tried this on the angle drive? Or do I need to just fill from the top hole. Inquiring minds want to know. :/

• I am getting ready to change my angle drive oil for the second time and I have a question. I have owned a lot of outboard motors and when I changed the foot oil, I would fill the foot from the bottom drain plug. This pushes all the air out and when the oil would start running out of the top plug I replaced the top plug then the bottom plug. (You loose very little oil doing this) Then I would remove the top plug and add oil if needed to top it off. Has anyone tried this on the angle drive? Or do I need to just fill from the top hole. Inquiring minds want to know. :/

I wondered the same thing as I was doing the lower unit on my boat last year. Easy to find the right fittings for a boat lower unit, but not sure how to modify that kit to use on angle drive.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)