Rear exit exhaust system and angle drive

• Hi everyone. I wanted to ask this question since i didn't see anything in the search. I have a 1320 rear exit side exhaust. My slingshot is currently in the shop because of what the dealer is saying was caused by exhaust heat. Anyone with a rear exit exhaust ever had this happen to you. They are telling me that the silicone grey seal on the side cover is melting where the exhaust runs next to it. And yes polaris denied my extended warranty claim.:(

• Hi everyone. I wanted to ask this question since i didn't see anything in the search. I have a 1320 rear exit side exhaust. My slingshot is currently in the shop because of what the dealer is saying was caused by exhaust heat. Anyone with a rear exit exhaust ever had this happen to you. They are telling me that the silicone grey seal on the side cover is melting where the exhaust runs next to it. And yes polaris denied my extended warranty claim.:(

Pictures???

Standard RTV has a max operating range up to 400 degrees, high temp 600, and ultra copper 700.

If no plastic is melted above or in the area of the angle drive side cover I would challenge them to prove that the angle drive side cover exceeds 400 degrees after a drive.

........ nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• hey guys sorry just getting a chance to get back to see anyone's response. Thanks to all you have given input so far. Ej i didn't get any pictures because the service guys told me "it's probably nothing serious" 🙄🙄. And since i had the extended warranty i wasn't to concerned. I went to talk with the g.m. after they took my slingshot apart and came to me with this "heat issue." Orangeman would you happen to know what is the rtv that polaris uses on the side cover of the angle drive? Macaws do you have the 1320 or something else that is side exit?

• 3gunsteve there is a silencer in that tip. There's a allen wrench screw in it that you can't see in the picture. It let's you take the silencer out I think it helps. But full disclosure. I have exhaust (40 series flowmasters on my car) on everything i drive so this is not too loud for me. Is your exhaust custom made?

• Montrese2006 - Not custom, it's the ZZP rear turbo exhaust with the drag tip vs pipe that comes up from there and splits to duals with resonator. Sounds awesome until you get to 4-5k and then it's too loud. I do like hearing all the turbo noises, but hearing the wife complain about it afterwards and the fumes isn't cutting it. I'm going to make some changes just not sure what or how to do it yet. Appreciate the info, that looks interesting for sure!

• Montrese2006 - Not custom, it's the ZZP rear turbo exhaust with the drag tip vs pipe that comes up from there and splits to duals with resonator. Sounds awesome until you get to 4-5k and then it's too loud. I do like hearing all the turbo noises, but hearing the wife complain about it afterwards and the fumes isn't cutting it. I'm going to make some changes just not sure what or how to do it yet. Appreciate the info, that looks interesting for sure!

That is why I went with a side exhaust after my wife turns blue and falls asleep from the fumes the ride get so much quieter!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Final decision will be with dealer...

Heat issue worst case would be direct contact between exhaust and angle drive, angle drive acting as a heat sync.

Most likely cause of side cover leakage is poor quality control during assembly. Poor application of sealant and/or improper torque and sequence of bolts.

Been more than some of us finding loose bolts on the side cover. Others removing the side cover due to fluid leakage from the bolt holes and finding the sealant run exterior edge of case (read as exterior of bolt holes) which does nothing to prevent fluid seepage.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• i have the 1320 rear exit exhaust, it is a little loud at times, but i prefer that over the smell i was getting from the stock muffler. but i have never had any leaking issues. sorry to hear that your having trouble.

• airoutlaw I was leaning towards that same answer myself. I read a few threads where a few owners were saying that the covers weren't sealed correctly. I've talked to 1320 and the said "we have never heard of this before" we would have addressed the issue already. I've never heard of anyone with a welter rear exit exhaust have this issue either. Thanks for the information.

• nneves57. Thank you. Do you have any heat wrap or anything on your exhaust towards the end near the angle drive? Im going to put some on mine when i finally get it back. Do you have your silencer in the megaphone tip?

When you are talking to someone... @ gets their attention, Montrese2006 NNEVES57 as you type the name most times as your 1/2 way typed it will come up and you can 'click' and it will finish the type. Welcome to the 'World of Slingshot Insanity'

• So FunCycle what your saying is I'm not crazy 😂. This issue almost made me sell my slingshot. If it wasn't for a new set of seats that i just bought and I've been wanting every since i sat in a slr it would have been up for sale. You being one of the first to have the welter and so many miles if anything was happening you would have seen it long ago.

• So FunCycle what your saying is I'm not crazy 😂. This issue almost made me sell my slingshot. If it wasn't for a new set of seats that i just bought and I've been wanting every since i sat in a slr it would have been up for sale. You being one of the first to have the welter and so many miles if anything was happening you would have seen it long ago.

Montrese2006 I also enjoy the ride rather than look for nit picking problems like a lot of people. I am not picking on you, it is so true that there are so many people like that. The SlingShot "IS NOT" a car or a truck it is a three wheel motorcycle

• Montrese2006 ---- I've ridden with FunCycle since Apr 2015 ... Don't have quite as many miles as Gerald does but by the time I make it to Maggie Valley for SSITS 2021 in a few weeks I will have over a 100,000 miles. Remember it's a MOTORCYCLE and enjoy the ride and the new friends you make along the way.