Master Cylinder Brace and USPS

• During a recent discussion about master cylinder braces on the other forum, curiosity finally got the better of me and I ordered one, (the jury is still out if it proves to be a worthwhile purchase or not.) Following tracking, the brace shipped on March 29th by USPS. It went through several different distribution facilities and then:

March 30, 2021,11:04 pm, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility EUGENE OR DISTRIBUTION CENTER, (120 miles from us)

"Your item departed our USPS facility in EUGENE OR DISTRIBUTION CENTER on April 2, 2021 at 2:29AM. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Then this follow up notice:

"Your item departed our USPS facility in EUGENE OR DISTRIBUTION CENTER on April 2, 2021 at 9:30 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

I wonder if after spending three days in Eugene if it has actually left yet?

Bill

• USPS tracking sucks. I have many tracking stories as my shipments have went back a forth across the country. Or just sit at the same place for days. A lot of times the tracking is not right. I will receive a package then the tracking says it will be here tomorrow. Often it says it was delivered at 10 AM and my postal lady doesn't even get here till 3 PM.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• The brace finally arrived here mid-afternoon and I went right to work installing it. Easy Peasy! I then eagerly went out to give it a try where at first I did not engage the brace and then going out about five miles on a two lane country road I frequent. I tried normal braking and then some panic stops. At the end of the five miles I pulled off, engaged the brace, and came back the same road. After trying some normal braking, and then some panic stops, I pulled over and disengaged the brace once again. I apologize folks, and please, I do not mean any disrespect, but during this short experiment with our SlingShot I can feel no discernible difference. The brace so far gives me no extra warm and fuzzy confidence. Maybe after spending a lil more time......................

Bill

• Bill thanks for the informative update. I’ve been pondering the purchase of the brace after reading previous articles but I have never had any trouble on my 2015 sling’s breaks. They are solid and not springy whatsoever. I was wondering if I would even notice a difference.. i’m probably going to hold off on buying, thank you

• Bill thanks for the informative update. I’ve been pondering the purchase of the brace after reading previous articles but I have never had any trouble on my 2015 sling’s breaks. They are solid and not springy whatsoever. I was wondering if I would even notice a difference.. i’m probably going to hold off on buying, thank you!

You are welcome, Instalerrob, one thing that I can say for certain is that with our 2015 we most definitely do not get the excessive flex as shown in videos promoting the master cylinder brace, where it really makes me wonder just how much pressure they are actually applying?

Bill

• Hey Bill:

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the brace - - If it does not work for you, or if you do not think it is worth the money then if I were you I would take it back off, box it up and return it

perhaps you just got a slingshot that doesn't benefit

either way no reason to keep something you are not happy with and taking it off should be easy

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Thanks Edward Neal, but Slingmod's policy specifically states:

3. No credit will be given if we find that the product has been used, installed, or unboxed / without box, unless otherwise specified.

I was aware of that before I purchased it.

Over all I am relieved in confirming that we indeed have not been riding our SlingShot with "defective" brakes all of these years and that my gut instincts have been right all along where I did not believe that our SlingShot would benefit from adding a brace.

Bill

• n thinking about this some more, you and we both have a 2015, is the 2015's firewall possibly more ridged than later models?

My '15's firewall flexed like a mo-fo ....... an earlier other vendor version fixed it right up.

Some are just more sensitive to it than others or have different performance requirements/sensitivities.

..... :thumbsup:

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Some people just need no mods, they do not drive fast enough. I remember years ago listening to a conversation between two part time Harley riders, they had been on a group ride that sounded like with a lot of low speed riding. They were bragging about riding around in fourth gear at 30 or 40 MPH. We just walked of laughing

• I didn’t want to get sucked back into this thread it’s feeling A bit passive aggressive? I do get on it within reason and safety! I put 12,000 miles on my first year, it’s a daily driver. Short of the Pedal Commander, 1320 V2 exhaust, silicone hoses, aluminum expansion tank and short shifter ( One of the best mods in my opinion) all the rest of my mods are for looks. And reiterate I have absolutely no problems with my brakes. My Slingshot breaks as good if not better than my C5, I must be lucky with my production model, because I’ve had zero problems with it. Just changing the fluids and tires.

• I didn’t want to get sucked back into this thread it’s feeling A bit passive aggressive? I do get on it within reason and safety! I put 12,000 miles on my first year, it’s a daily driver. Short of the Pedal Commander, 1320 V2 exhaust, silicone hoses, aluminum expansion tank and short shifter ( One of the best mods in my opinion) all the rest of my mods are for looks. And reiterate I have absolutely no problems with my brakes. My Slingshot breaks as good if not better than my C5, I must be lucky with my production model, because I’ve had zero problems with it. Just changing the fluids and tires.

Lucky you! Unfortunately this is basically the main complaint i have of the sling and one of the reasons i havent gone boosted as well. I have simply no confidence in the brakes even after upgrsding to hawk pads. OP if you want to psrt with the master cylinder let me know. Ill probably buy it.

• Our brakes have always felt as solid, if not better, than any of our other vehicles, never spongy, we have never had to double pump them, and the brace did not improve them. Rather than condemning those of us who have shared having the same experience, I believe that I would be much more interested in finding out why?

Bill

• Our brakes have always felt as solid, if not better, than any of our other vehicles, never spongy, we have never had to double pump them, and the brace did not improve them. Rather than condemning those of us who have shared having the same experience, I believe that I would be much more interested in finding out why?

Bill

With all due respect if the manual brakes on your SLingshot with the soft pads Polaris installs are better than any of your other vehicles you need to get your others checked. With no brake booster manual brakes will always require more pedal pressure. The physics are what they are anything else is hyperbole.

That question has been asked and answered. It came down to improper bleeding at the factory and was only fixed once Polaris gave their dealers the ability to properly bleed the abs block using the Digital Wrench software. This took way too many years. Until then it was hit and miss with most having air in the system from the factory that normal bleeding procedure could not remedy. Your experience is the minority. If you have a braking problem first thing now is a trip to the dealer and hopefully a "tech" who knows how to bleed the system properly.

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• With all due respect if the manual brakes on your SLingshot with the soft pads Polaris installs are better than any of your other vehicles you need to get your others checked. With no brake booster manual brakes will always require more pedal pressure. The physics are what they are anything else is hyperbole.

This is exactly what I have been referencing all along, Orangeman, I am wondering if many folks are comparing the manual brakes of their SlingShot to the power assisted brakes that they typically are more accustomed to. In my recent post I was comparing the brakes on our SlingShot apples to apples to the other two vehicles that we own with manual brakes.

Bill

• It's not worth arguing, Orangeman. I shared my experience with installing the master cylinder brace on our SlingShot thinking some may be interested, where I believe that some folks out there are trying to make their SlingShot feel the same as power assisted brakes, or, more worriedly, are using the brace to compensate for other issues that they are having with their brakes. I am sorry now that I even brought it up.

Bill