Alignment shims

• I have been thinking of getting the front end aligned and contacted our nearest shop for getting this done, which happens to be approximately 150 miles one way. I recently contacted them and was told that they can indeed do the alignment, but would have to order shims from the dealer if needed, which would be an additional 75 miles. I figured that I would just purchase a couple of each size of shim to simply have on hand, but holy cow, $36 and $83 each if the thicker ones are required? Anyways, when some of you have had your front end aligned, how many and what size of shims have you had to add typically?

Thanks,

Bill

• The sad thing is MOST of the alignments done to the Slingshots only adjust the toe and not the camber or caster, The toe adjustments are a simple turning of the tie rod end into the sleeve and requires no parts to set it. I did have the camber on mine checked during the alignment and it was within spcs so no shims were required.

Hope that helps you. But to do a complete alignment properly, the camber should be tested and adjusted if it's off

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• The sad thing is MOST of the alignments done to the Slingshots only adjust the toe and not the camber or caster, The toe adjustments are a simple turning of the tie rod end into the sleeve and requires no parts to set it. I did have the camber on mine checked during the alignment and it was within spcs so no shims were required.

Hope that helps you. But to do a complete alignment properly, the camber should be tested and adjusted if it's off

Yeap, that has been our experience also. I have not seen anyone adjusting camber/caster on the front of the Slingshot. We did play with the camber on the front of the Slingshot though and did find that at -1.5 degree of camber you can get the front of the Slingshot to really hook well and get it to go on 2 wheels pretty easily. Pretty sure that is why Polaris ships them with 0 camber.

• I just do not want to ride that far just to be told the alignment cannot be completed due to the lack of shims, if needed.

Bill

Is this a Polaris dealer that does the laser alignment? Most dealers charge around $100.00 for the laser Alignment and don't need shims. almost 100,000 miles and laser alignments --- good wear and no shims. LASER ALIGNMENT.....

• Is this a Polaris dealer that does the laser alignment? Most dealers charge around $100.00 for the laser Alignment and don't need shims. almost 100,000 miles and laser alignments --- good wear and no shims. LASER ALIGNMENT.....

Neither of the two closest dealers to us do alignments. Are you saying that a complete alignment usually can be accomplished on the SlingShot without adjusting the shims?

Bill

• Neither of the two closest dealers to us do alignments. Are you saying that a complete alignment usually can be accomplished on the SlingShot without adjusting the shims?

Bill

Bill does the guy you are thinking about taking the Slingshot to DO laser alignments on Slingshots and follow Polaris Slingshot guide lines?

• Bill does the guy you are thinking about taking the Slingshot to DO laser alignments on Slingshots and follow Polaris Slingshot guide lines?

The dealer that repaired my Sling told me that he had done the alignment on my Sling. I knew he had not done it the minute I pulled away from his dealership but I had 4 hour ride to get home so I just had my dealer do the alignment later. The only way he got the repair job was he advertized custom bike builds, I figured he had his shit together. WRONG

• Bill does the guy you are thinking about taking the Slingshot to DO laser alignments on Slingshots and follow Polaris Slingshot guide lines?

When there was a local dealer, (where we purchased our SlingShot), before they discontinued the SlingShot, this was where they were sending folks to get alignments done. Currently it is our only option under 200 miles.

Bill

• Yeap, that has been our experience also. I have not seen anyone adjusting camber/caster on the front of the Slingshot. We did play with the camber on the front of the Slingshot though and did find that at -1.5 degree of camber you can get the front of the Slingshot to really hook well and get it to go on 2 wheels pretty easily. Pretty sure that is why Polaris ships them with 0 camber.

When Otter first posted about changing his front-end adjustments, the subject of why Polaris set it up the way they did came up and, IIRC, it was believed the Polaris settings were implemented after a Polaris executive managed to get into some trouble and the final settings were established to avoid problems. I think it was in this thread - https://www.slingshotforums.co…ond-mod.4881/#post-101810. The thread is a long read, though I believe it has some interesting content.

• Billl
    Go to this website and read or call and talk to mike. He is the original laser alignment designer. He has the credentials to prove he knows his stuff as well as reviews.
    http://www.truelasertrack.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And what should I be looking for, or asking, where the SlingShot is concerned?

I found this chart in the Service Manual in which I can take with me just to confirm that the shop has the proper Polaris specifications.

Bill

• Please make sure you have CURRENT Polaris spects... Not sure the Service Manual is up to date. When you were in for recalls why didn't you have an alignment done.