Job Recruiter Scam

• I know many of you are retired, but maybe this will help someone in your family. I got this warning from work today and it apparently happened to a local company. Never even thought about this being something they would do. I can't imagine the person that thinks they just got a great new job only to find out it was all fake and on top of that they have probably stolen their ID and made their personal finances a mess.

The most interesting new method of attacking people takes advantage of the fact that virtual jobs are starting to become widely available. Take the below scenario.

Attacker – cyber attacker

Recruiter – company’s legitimate HR Recruiter

Victim – unfortunate victim of the attack

The Recruiter posts a job req for a new software engineer. The attacker then copies that posting and goes to a site that the recruiter doesn’t use, such as Monster or Hot Jobs and reposts the job, but with their own contact information. The Victim is out searching for a job and stumbles upon the posting on Monster, and decides its worth a shot. The Victim then reaches out to the contact info on the job posting, and gets the attacker instead of the Recruiter. The Attackers have then gone on to conduct multiple interviews and asking all sorts of experience related questions, making it really hard to tell it’s a fake. The Attacker then sends the Victim a job offer and new hire paperwork. The paperwork is usually very generic and designed to look like standard IRS forms. Once the Victim has accepted the job, the Attacker then uses this same information to target the Victim with other attacks before anyone is the wiser. The job offers usually have a starting date of 3 to 4 weeks out, so the Attacker has time to exploit what they got before the Victim would expect to start working.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• So I won't be working for Amazon?!?

And who knew Jeff's cousin was a Nigerian prince needing bitcoins...

• I'm guessing ID theft?

I was targeted with something somewhat similar. A slight variation on the traditional craigslist scam.

Mine was a remote graphic design company for a local magazine. Interview, offer letter the whole 9 yards.

A few things made me suspicious.

Everything was virtual. To me it didn't make sense that a local company hiring a local employee not do at least an in person interview...

Next was the scam itself. The sender sent me a "check" for about $3k, so I could purchase my equipment from their "authorized vendor".

What they wanted to happen was:

1. I deposit the check

2. Order from their "vendor"

If I did this, the "check" would have bounced in a few days and I would have been out $3k.

What I actually did was contact the magazine itself and law enforcement. The magazine did verify my suspicions, but law enforcement didn't care. Told me that the scammer would be gone by the time they got there.

• Yep, I got a call from HR a few weeks ago and someone had applied for unemployment using my name and SSN. Of course HR knew that I was still with the company and notified the state to deny the claim. HR calls me and links me to the state website so I can send them my statement that I hadn't applied for unemployment. The state site gives a list of other things to do (review credit reports, credit freeze, police report, etc). So I call the PD and they send an officer out to the house. I'm thinking I need to give a statement and he says nope and hands me a idenitytheft.gov business card and says to go to their website. We chat about dogs, weather, etc for a bit and then he leaves. No plan to investigate.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• Yep, I got a call from HR a few weeks ago and someone had applied for unemployment using my name and SSN. Of course HR knew that I was still with the company and notified the state to deny the claim. HR calls me and links me to the state website so I can send them my statement that I hadn't applied for unemployment. The state site gives a list of other things to do (review credit reports, credit freeze, police report, etc). So I call the PD and they send an officer out to the house. I'm thinking I need to give a statement and he says nope and hands me a idenitytheft.gov business card and says to go to their website. We chat about dogs, weather, etc for a bit and then he leaves. No plan to investigate.

Same happened to me and the wife in CO. Got notified by HR, had to go through states fraud website they set up specifically for this as it's so rampant.... They never got a US Bank (who issues the cards for CO anyway) card on me, but they did on my wife. Police reports filed and got notices they were "worked" no idea what that means though. We did sign up for Identity Guard though for the family as feel like this scam stuff is only going to get worse as economy tries to recover.

• This scam stuff is rapid now days. My girlfriend keeps getting calls that says she bought something like a Apple computer from Amazon and the charge didn't go through and to call them back to straighten it out. i tell her look at her Amazon account and see if it was ordered and of course it wasn't. I has gotten to the point I don't even trust the ones that are good.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• This scam stuff is quick now days. My better half continues to get calls that says she purchased something like an Apple PC from Amazon and the charge didn't go through and to get back to them to fix it. I tell her glance at her Amazon record and check whether it was requested and obviously it wasn't. I has cut to the chase I don't confide in the ones that are acceptable.

• I instantly delete anything that doesn’t look familiar. Especially from retail sites. Unless I have dealt with them before and if it’s saying anything about a purchase I know I didn’t make it’s an instant delete. My girlfriend wants to click on everything… 🤦‍♂️

• Susan gets the same calls. Last week she is sitting at her PC and having a break down. Asked her what was wrong and she said she got a email that she bought someone a $5200 gaming computer on Amazon and the charge didn't go through and needed fixing. Call this number. Told her to check her Amazon orders and her bank card. No such order as I expected. If I was married to her I would remove her from my network. She clicks on everything she sees.

• not a job scam, but lately I have been receiving text messages saying they are from UPS and that they have a package for me that they can not deliver due to missing information. there is then a link they want me to click on to fix the problem so that my package can be delivered. I have received this 2 times now and both times I knew I was not expecting any packages and when I did a little google research it seems this is a known scam and that clicking on the link will install malware and let them steal your personal information.

anyway just a heads up, if you receive any e-mail or texts telling you there is a package the cant deliver - - this is a known scam, delete the message and whatever you do do not click on the link or copy and paste the address

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Susan and I have received several of these. Also your Norton (various program) has expired. I don't know if it is a scam but neither of us use anything Norton.

• I guess I should update... Turned out to be a scam posing as a legitimate company. There were ALOT of red flags. The biggest was being sent a "check" to "cash" so I can use the "funds" on their "authorized seller" to purchase equipment. The check would have bounced, and the bank would have docked my account.

Before that point I had reached out to the legitimate company and they told me it was a scam. I decided to play along to get the check that way I would have a return address and finger prints.

Once the check arrived, I contacted law enforcement; they didn't care.

• Susan and I have received several of these. Also your Norton (various program) has expired. I don't know if it is a scam but neither of us use anything Norton.

yep I get those as well, but I am running an iMac and have never had Norton or any other virus program on it.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies