Anybody measured air temps Before and After the Intercooler?

• No great hurry and don't want you to feel pressured. I was just thinking about using an Infrared thermometer to just point at the entrance into the intercooler and then at the exit, or at least I would if I had a turbo'd Slinsgshot! I'm still trying to figure out if I can juggle the finances enough to get some form of forced induction.

• Basically what we need to see is what the temp is at the plenum vs the ambient air temp...

Rab,

I don't believe that is what he is looking for. I think he is trying to figure out the effective temperature drop across the inter-cooler to gauge if (in his mind and wallet) it is a necessity. For that he would need the intake charge temperature after the turbo, then again at the plenum.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Rab,
    I don't believe that is what he is looking for. I think he is trying to figure out the effective temperature drop across the inter-cooler to gauge if (in his mind and wallet) it is a necessity. For that he would need the intake charge temperature after the turbo, then again at the plenum.

That is closer to what I was wondering about. I understand that to run anything above 3-4 lbs Boost, the intercooler is necessary. I was just wondering how much it can actually cool any airflow during such a short exposure in the intercooler. Just curious. Inquiring mind wants to know. :)

• Imo, if your finances arre so tight that you can't pay the 600 extra for an intercooler, don't go turbo.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• If I choose to turbo, I'll be getting an intercooler. I just want to know how much a difference in temp the intercooler makes. I can see how compressing air will increase its temperature and just wanted to know how much cooling the intercooler provides. Like I posted earlier, the air doesn't take very long to move thru the intercooler and, since air doesn't radiate as efficiently as cooling liquid in a normal vehicle radiator, I was wondering just how much a temp drop can be achieved?
    Since intercoolers are so popular on street cars but seem to be missing from high HP dragsters, I assume the intercooler is effective on street vehicles but is not effective at the extremely high air flow rates involved in a top fuel dragster. Again, just curious.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• If I choose to turbo, I'll be getting an intercooler. I just want to know how much a difference in temp the intercooler makes. I can see how compressing air will increase its temperature and just wanted to know how much cooling the intercooler provides. Like I posted earlier, the air doesn't take very long to move thru the intercooler and, since air doesn't radiate as efficiently as cooling liquid in a normal vehicle radiator, I was wondering just how much a temp drop can be achieved?
    Since intercoolers are so popular on street cars but seem to be missing from high HP dragsters, I assume the intercooler is effective on street vehicles but is not effective at the extremely high air flow rates involved in a top fuel dragster. Again, just curious.

It's possible that they don't run them on dragsters because they only run the engine for a whopping 7-10 seconds. Most likely that would just be further restriction of air for zero benefit. When we run the slings hard for extended time in the mountains or a road course the inter cooler would be more useful.

• It's possible that they don't run them on dragsters because they only run the engine for a whopping 7-10 seconds. Most likely that would just be further restriction of air for zero benefit. When we run the slings hard for extended time in the mountains or a road course the inter cooler would be more useful.

The short run time is part of what I was getting at, plus the fact that blown drag motors are gulping incredible amounts of air, giving the intercooler little time to do anything. Obviously, intercoolers must make an appreciable difference in air temps and engine performance or they wouldn't be so popular. I'm just curious how much of a difference they make.