Wrecking Crew / DMV owners roll call

• I went without a helmet (weather permitting) for almost a year, up here in MD. It all ended in a beautiful day this past spring when a LEO pulled me over, knowing a helmet was required. He didn't know how much the fine would be and when he found out it was going to $110 he had mercy on me and let me off with a warning. Having my half shell sitting in the passenger seat may have helped too. Personally, my wallet isn't deep enough to pay for that kind of personal freedom. Been wearing a helmet ever since, except on the rare occasion that I'm in a helmet liberal state. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• I keep helmets behind the seat, but I am sticking with the law as it is written stating non-removable roof. Being bolted on I personally will consider that non-removable and also that I am not able to ride it out to a location, take the roof off and store it anywhere, that will be my argument lol. but if they get persistent, then I have the helmet with me and will put it on. Highway speeds though I prefer to have it on. Just feel safer.

• ... I asked the judge about adding a roof and he said that any roof would be removable unless it was welded on to the structure. Even then you would still get ticketed and have to prove that it is a structural component. He was pretty savvy on the Slingshots and knew that the tops bolt to the roll hoops which are also removable. ...

Good point about structural (welded) vs removable (bolted). Since most removeable roofs use the mirror mounting holes, it's pretty obvoius that the roof is not intended to handle high impact or roll-over stress. Under those stresses, those bolts would probably snap like twigs and it's anybody's guess what happens after that.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• I get the welded VS bolted explanation, but, in my minds eye I keep coming back to a removable situation is as if you were rolling out to the beach or strip and decided to remove the top. Not that I would have the choice of removing it before I leave the house and putting it back on when I get home. But I clearly see the point. I am not looking for a freebie or handout or an exception to policy. Just clarification and opinion. I actually have the question emailed to the local law enforcement and they are attempting to get me a better answer. Thanks for helping out with points of view gentlemen.

• anyone have any riding events coming up? or wrench time? Really don't have any mods to do minus the 5 minute hood vent swap happening this evening lol. Trying to get the wife to commit to a ride out somewhere. I'm not sure if its going to work or if I will get the go ahead either lol. Just thought I would live vicariously through you guys lol.

• anyone have any riding events coming up? or wrench time? Really don't have any mods to do minus the 5 minute hood vent swap happening this evening lol. Trying to get the wife to commit to a ride out somewhere. I'm not sure if its going to work or if I will get the go ahead either lol. Just thought I would live vicariously through you guys lol.

Booze & Blues is coming up at the beginning of October. It's a weekend event in Clarksville, VA and guaranteed to be a good time with a great group of folks. You don't have to stay for the whole weekend but, from the DC Metro area, it's might be a long drive for a one-day visit. Whether one day or more, it's best to roll in the night before and stay at the Magnuson on the Lake (ride start/end location) so you're rested, refueled (gas station up the street), and ready for the following day's group ride(s).

― Douglas Adams

• Booze & Blues is coming up at the beginning of October. It's a weekend event in Clarksville, VA and guaranteed to be a good time with a great group of folks. You don't have to stay for the whole weekend but, from the DC Metro area, it's might be a long drive for a one-day visit. Whether one day or more, it's best to roll in the night before and stay at the Magnuson on the Lake (ride start/end location) so you're rested, refueled (gas station up the street), and ready for the following day's group ride(s).

Thanks for the plug!
    Are you joining us

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Thanks for the plug!Are you joining us

We would love to come, just as we did for the uncorked, but we are prepping that weekend for our up and coming trip to LONDON. We are flying over to watch the Seahawks and spend the week touring some of the old stomping grounds from years past. Take a lot of pics and videos, we will be looking for those.

• I Normally ware a light half helmet ...But today because it was raining i took my full face modular [For the first time in the S/S] that i use riding my bikes.....After a 180 mile ride it just wore me out...On my bike i can at least turn my head, and move around a little, But in a seat no way....For now on its the half helmet , Rain or not..

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• I'm located in College Park, MD so, if we have enough people to go, then we can all vote for a central location to meet up.

We had a meet up in Charlottesville once that worked out pretty well it was 2.5 to 3 hours average for most but I am sure there are some better places

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• thinking of doing a meet and greet around here in DMV before winter comes. Who's up for this?

Since May of 2015 I have had a hand in organizing several get togethers... Best advice I can give you for a simple 'meet and greet' (ride and lunch). YOU pick a day and time centrally located and put the word out. Do a good job putting the word out and "they" will come. Trying to put it up to a vote and it just won't happen. Make a decision and 'Do It' ….

• Since May of 2015 I have had a hand in organizing several get togethers... Best advice I can give you for a simple 'meet and greet' (ride and lunch). YOU pick a day and time centrally located and put the word out. Do a good job putting the word out and "they" will come. Trying to put it up to a vote and it just won't happen. Make a decision and 'Do It' ….

This wise young man is 100% correct - you can not get 3 people to agree on anything.
    Just pick a town and a meeting place - restaurant or existing event and tell everyone meet here!
    When we did the Charlottesville meet up we just named the restaurant and time 10 slings showed up

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• This wise young man is 100% correct - you can not get 3 people to agree on anything.Just pick a town and a meeting place - restaurant or existing event and tell everyone meet here!
    When we did the Charlottesville meet up we just named the restaurant and time 10 slings showed up

Mitch some people are easily fooled.... YOUNG ??? wise////

• Mitch some people are easily fooled.... YOUNG ??? wise////

Young enough and wise enough to earn the full respect of this entire community my friend.
    I wish you were closer since I have not had the pleasure of riding with you.
    But we have shared morning coffee!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!