Wrecking Crew / DMV owners roll call

• I would love the ride that is for sure. but cant afford to take off work and make that kind of trip when I can find a local place to do it. You are correct in the fact it would be best to have the manufacturer install it. they built it, they would be the best to install it. I just cant take that kind of time. Plus I would have to ask . . . . . . . . . is this place the kind of vacation spot to take your family? Because I couldn't leave my SS there. I would have to wait for it to be installed and ride it back.

• I would love the ride that is for sure. but cant afford to take off work and make that kind of trip when I can find a local place to do it. You are correct in the fact it would be best to have the manufacturer install it. they built it, they would be the best to install it. I just cant take that kind of time. Plus I would have to ask . . . . . . . . . is this place the kind of vacation spot to take your family? Because I couldn't leave my SS there. I would have to wait for it to be installed and ride it back.

Install shouldn’t take that long... Sadly, Greenville ranks pretty low on my list of “cool” vacation spots ~> That said, there’s the Biltmore, Blue Ridge, and a zoo near by to help pass the time on your short stay.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• well there you go lol. that being said. I will have to pass on a 16 hour road trip and try to find a local installer. its going to be quite awhile before I go adding turbo to my SS anyway. I am just trying to plan ahead. I guess I always get my hopes up. :)

• Install shouldn’t take that long... Sadly, Greenville ranks pretty low on my list of “cool” vacation spots ~> That said, there’s the Biltmore, Blue Ridge, and a zoo near by to help pass the time on your short stay.

Shame on you - @KayTwo and @sideseatdriver live in the area making it one of the top vacation destinations in the country. :thumbsup::thumbsup::00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Install shouldn’t take that long... Sadly, Greenville ranks pretty low on my list of “cool” vacation spots ~> That said, there’s the Biltmore, Blue Ridge, and a zoo near by to help pass the time on your short stay.

I know that's bullshit, since you live only two hours away and seem to have no problem with just randomly showing up....

• I know that's bullshit, since you live only two hours away and seem to have no problem with just randomly showing up....

HAHA ~> visiting you and everyone else I love who lives in/near Greenville is the ONLY reason I ever head out that way... all the cool places to ride/see/visit are just North of y’all in the mountains! Sure I’m biased about it... but heck, if I could do my job in the Lake Lure area, I’d leave Charlotte and move there in a heartbeat!

*add in the fact that I85 is a NIGHTMARE any hour of the day... I will always say the mountains are WAY BETTER for vacationing!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• hey all, quick question........I was out yesterday in Lorton on Route 1 and 3 slings went by me, no tops on them and 2 were lit up. any clues to who might be in the area? I would assume they would be somewhat local because to get to Lorton or route 1 there are only 2 reasons to be there lol, one is local and the other is GAS lol. otherwise nobody stops here. Just trying to see if there are more people around or find out why nobody stopped by to say hello lol.

• Hi hernandeves5

There is a lot of slingshot in Woodbridge and this weekend was the SSTakeover DC 2018 weekend. It was a great turn out for the ride into DC. If you are on Facebook we have a page called Slingshot of Virginia. Here is my cell phone number 954-892-1916. I live in Gainesville Va so if it is not raining I will ride.

• general question,

Virginia state law says that if you have a "non-removable" roof, that you are not required to wear a helmet. The slingshade bolts on and is what I would consider non-removable because you cant just unlatch or unhook it and it comes off. There is a discussion on facebook reference this. Some Virginia police are stating due to them being bolted and not welded they are considered removable and not the reverse. So they are forcing people to wear helmets. Of course this is only a couple of officers and definitely NOT the norm. The majority do not understand them yet to even be stopping us except for regular violations such as speeding or running stop lights etc. . . . . . . .

thoughts?

• I was one of the persons in that debate and have tried to fight a ticket and lost. I asked the judge about adding a roof and he said that any roof would be removable unless it was welded on to the structure. Even then you would still get ticketed and have to prove that it is a structural component. He was pretty savvy on the Slingshots and knew that the tops bolt to the roll hoops which are also removable. On the highway in VA I always wear a Helmet, on the sides roads not always. The first time you are on the highway and a ricochet rock hits you, you will wish you had something protecting you.

It's kind of funny that people in the DC, MD, VA area want the abilities of motorcycles, but don't want to have to wear a helmet. You want to use HOV and Speed pass lanes for free, you want better parking, you want to skip out on emissions, but you don't want to strap on a helmet.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• makes sense to me. I have a tall windshield and on the highway I wear helmets. I sometimes wear my helmet in town. I wear sunglasses to protect my eyes but still prefer the helmet for higher speeds. I wont argue that one bit. Would definitely hate to hit the pavement without a helmet. Nothing good would come of it. I have stopped 2 different cops and both told me to call their precinct and that they had little knowledge of anything in depth. When I talked them I was mainly trying to discuss LED's and whether I was ok or not driving around all lit up. They just told me do not roll around with underglow and I wont get stopped.

• The first time you are on the highway and a ricochet rock hits you, you will wish you had something protecting you.

It's kind of funny that people in the DC, MD, VA area want the abilities of motorcycles, but don't want to have to wear a helmet. You want to use HOV and Speed pass lanes for free, you want better parking, you want to skip out on emissions, but you don't want to strap on a helmet.

@WraithSS, I get your perspective, but I have two additional thoughts to propose.

One is that, when belted in, if you stop abruptly, your spinal column takes the load of your head as your body whips forward against the seat belt. It's kind of designed to do that, to an extent. I don't really feel comfortable that the extra weight from the helmet, even my half helmet, would be supported by the spine in a severe enough stop.

The other thought has to do with personal freedom. I actually agree with helmet laws on motorcycles, because of the burden on the health system and the taxpayers when one of those helmetless idiots gets hurt and ends up in the medical system for the rest of his life. Now, if there were a way to prevent all lawsuits and such shenanigans from a rider if he wasn't wearing his helmet, that might be another story. But, aside from the helmets for the two-wheelers, I believe in a lot of personal freedom. I believe in choosing for myself. And, the vast majority of the time, I choose not to wear the helmet.

Actually, in my recent trip cross-country and back, I didn't wear a helmet at all. Well, aside from actually crossing the border into Canada. But, I wore a ball cap and a neck gaiter the vast majority of the time, which kept the bugs and grit, and yes even the rocks, from hurting me too badly. I consider that to be a pretty fair trade, actually. Just my personal feelings, of course.

I know this topic comes up pretty regularly, and there are people with significant and heavy feelings on the matter. Personally, I think that whatever is right for you, you should do. I don't believe in a lot of laws and rules from Big Brother. But, we know that not all areas of the country agree, so when in Rome, I guess you have to make your own decision whether you're going to take the hit to your personal freedom, or take the hit to your wallet.

• I just recently received a ticket because I wasn’t wearing a helmet on a hwy drive back from NC and SC. I had driven almost 165 miles in total last weekend without a helmet and was only 25 minutes away from my house when a female county police officer decided to blue light me and pull me over. It was a speed trap on HWY 365 cuz there were 5 police cars all waiting to hand out as many revenue collection slips as possible that afternoon.

The law in the state of Georgia just recently changed and you no longer have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your license along with no training or motorcycle course is needed to drive a Slingshot.
    If you don’t have to have a motorcycle license or training then why do you need to do anything else that pertains to a motorcycle. It no different that driving a convertible car.

Ok, I’m done ranting. But not done fighting this in court.

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

:SLRSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS: :00008862::00008698:

:00000436::00000436::00000436: