Trailer Strapping

• I have been strapping the Sling on my trailer with soft straps on the wheels. I had a new trailer cover made and it comes down pretty far along with I just got my wheels dipped and don't want to mess them up. Is there anywhere else I can strap to on the front and is it OK to strap on the swing arm in the back. Any help would be appreciated.

Spud

• I use 24" axle straps around the lower control arm in the front as suggested in the owners manual.
    When I had the stock wheels I strapped through the rear wheel with a shirt wrapped around the strap to protect the rear wheel.
    Now that I have custom painted wheels and I have two alternatives on the rear since I don't want to go through the wheel. First I ordered 42" axle straps and will use one around the lower clevis mount on the rear shock. It will reach far enough to get the metal hoops past the rear tire in the back. I will then put my ratchet strap through the metal rings and then to two tie down points in the floor. This should pull the axle strap straight back and keep it off the wheel and tire.
    Other option is pull the tag end out of the ratchet part of the strap and feed it up from the bottom on the belt side between the swing arm and angle drive. When it comes out the top, feed it back behind the tire on the left side and put it back in the ratchet. I'll know for sure which works better for me this coming Thursday or Friday evening when I load for Maggie Valley.
    The pic is how I did it with stock wheels.

Stephen.

• We had a nut back off the ball that was attached to the receiver. We were lucky we had made it home when we found it was backed off. It would not have made it many more miles before we would have lost the car we were towing. With that being said, that is something else that you need to check.

• [quote='Spudinator','http://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/757-trailer-strapping/&postID=16361#post16361']OK plenty of ideas. I've decided from the comments I can't screw much up. Thanks for the input everyone. See you in Maggie Valley if it doesn't fall off the trailer.

[b][font='Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif'][size=12][color=#B22222]Spud, Check the straps every time you stop for gas. I have had back come lose

Thanks I have a habit of checking every time plus I have my rear camera on when I'm pulling anything with the MH.

• I have quite a collection of straps hanging on my wall in the pool house. I have tried just about everyone on the market. And one of the most gimmicky straps that I NEVER though I would own turned out to the be best straps I have owned.

Now before I let the cat out of the bag. Let me explain that these are for strapping cars and bikes. Im not proclaiming these will hold a bundle of treated 2x12x20 lumber. I have straps up to 4" wide that I use on semi trailers for that job.

About 4 years ago I was in Panama City at bike week and LoadAll strap company had a place there. Being a bit weird about straps I had to check them out. They were offering 4 ratchet straps for $80.00. They did feel as good or better than some of the best I have used. So I bought 4 of them. Over the next year I used them every other weekend. They were flawless. I couldn't jam them. I couldn't bend the mechanism in them. They just worked...

I guess it was two years later and I went back to the same booth and was bragging that the straps did perform just like they said. And while I was there I figured I would buy 4 more. The sales guy said if you like those you will love these self retracting straps. The first thing I thought about was some that I had bought at Walmart or auto zone that looked similar. They lasted about 1 trip. They bent up inside and we're absolutely terrible. So I explained to the salesman my concern and he said that his were as tough as the ratchet straps I had been using. And we're fully warranted. So I agreed to buy 2 of the smaller straps and 2 of the bigger straps. The bigger straps have a 3500 pound working load limit. The smaller ones are rated at 1100 pound I think.

All I can say is WOW.. They work perfect everytime. They are a bit expensive but they are worth every penny. It will be the last straps you have to buy. The larger size has a hole on one side of it that can take a regular S hook or a E track attachment or a floor bolt kit. You will most likely just want the S hook kit. That makes them a regular strap with a hook on each end.

I'm telling you that if you hate messing with straps that won't open up and spool and that make you feel nervous when you use them then these will make you happy.

Here is a link to the straps. You will see that in this bundle they have the S hook added and some strap loops. I have never used the strap loops so I can't review them. But this is a good price for 4 of the wide straps.

By the way these straps will not loosen up. The will self ratchet tighther and catch the next cog if they get slack for any reason.

https://loadall.com/collection…3-cargobuckle-bundle-pack

https://loadall.com/collections/accessories

Here is a video of the wide straps that are bolted to a trailer.

• Very similar. Comes on The Ultimate Trailer. I need to compare the difference.