New Slingshot Member needs advice on windshield.

• Hello all,

I have been lurking the forums for about a month. Since I just bought a 2016.5 base Slingshot today I couldn't wait to become a member.

First of all I want the thank Rab and the members of this community for you have saved my thousands. I probably would have bought a SL before learning that the radio is junk and at 6' 4" the windscreen would be too short. I can live with the smaller rims and in fact prefer the look of them over the SL ones. Plus, I like the fact that it is all black and not two tone.

That leads me to my first mod, the Windshield. I test drove the red sl and found that the wind hits me right at the eye brows. After watching SlingKing's review of the F4 custom windscreens I agree that the tallest ones take away from the look. I am on the fence between the F4 plus 3 or the Madstads 11" adjustable. The F4 has a cleaner look but requires me to purchase additional mounting hardward. I think that the Madstads dark grey tint would look best on an all black ss but I am concerned about night driving. Will it be too dark?

What are your thoughts?

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I bought a base about a month ago too. I put on quite a few miles without the shield and it is a much better and safer ride with it. I'm 6' and I went with the 9" madstad. I like that fact that it adjusts 2"s up or down with thumb screws. So far I am very happy with it. I went with Lt grey tint because I was more concerned with being able to see at night then the dark tint look. That being said I have heard you can buy just the shield from them for around $130 so when the boss allows I might pick up a dark tint 7" for blasting around on hot summer day trips.

• I have the 9" Madstad with the extra dark tint and have zero issues with night driving. I'm 5'10" and look over the shield not through it.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Welcome Blaze, I have been running with the F4 Custom 5= tinted with added Baker 'Air Wings'. On my Gold Wings over the last 20 yrs I always had a Tulsa
    shield. Larger and tinted than OEM. I have over 25,000+ miles on the shield,
    look thru and love it in all kinds of conditions.

Lots of good choices out there, mostly what are you use to.

• Welcome. I am also 6'4" and disliked how the stock blade pushed the wind directly in my face. I went with the Madstad 11" light grey and never looked back. No problems at night. My 5'7" wife likes it also. I have to raise my hand over my head to feel the wind. I can still see over the shield. The next best part was being able to hear the radio. Yes, radio sucks but using the Bluetooth from the phone sounds much better with the Madstad shield. Now just need the Madstad Stinger top to ship. Ordered it 29 April. I have fingers crossed it will ship today

• I have the madstad 9" extra dark and have it adjusted to look just over the windshield and it's perfect but I am 6' even. Pushes the wind over and I still feel the wind. I have adjusted it all the way up so you have to look through it and it allows a lot of wind under but you can still drive just fine looking though the shield.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• You'll be very happy with the Madstad 11". At 6'4" you'll have no problem seeing over the windshield even with it raised an inch or so for summer riding. I'm 5'10" with a long torso and have both the 9" and 11". I can still see over the top of thee 11" when it's in the down position (great to keep the rain and cold out), but use the 9" when the weather is warmer so I can raise it up for the breeze.

• I've tried nothing, stock blade, dbl bubble, F4 and 2 sizes on Madstadt..the F4 is good but you'll need tall and clear and there are some distorted spots on the wraparound. My suggestion is get the 9" Madstadt in your flavor of tint.. You can crank it up in daytime to look through and crank it down at night to look over. ALSO, the Madstadt does a great job of eliminating turbulence while still allowing for some air

• Thanks for all the helpful input. I just placed the order with Slingmods. I decided to go with the Madstad 9" in dark grey.

Then be Batman!

• Well my thoughts were that I can raise it during the day and lower it at night. Raising it would make it 11". The 11" screen is 7" above the dash. Sitting in the ss 7" is right at my line of site. My inseam is 36" I think most of my height come from my legs. If it doesn't work out I can always exchange it.

Then be Batman!

• I have a base model and have a new F4 +5 and love it. The clarity is amazing! I do a lot of night driving and went with the clear. I'm 5' 7 and like all of the touring bikes i have owned, I wanted one that I look through. I don't wear a helmet and don't like the little things that can get you with windshields you look over so this one is perfect for me. I'll get a picture of it with me in it and post if I can find someone to take the pic. IMO, it looks good on the Sling.

• I have a base model and have a new F4 +5 and love it. The clarity is amazing! I do a lot of night driving and went with the clear. I'm 5' 7 and like all of the touring bikes i have owned, I wanted one that I look through. I don't wear a helmet and don't like the little things that can get you with windshields you look over so this one is perfect for me. I'll get a picture of it with me in it and post if I can find someone to take the pic. IMO, it looks good on the Sling.

I have the F4 5+ tinted and love it...one of the things you will want as the weather warms up is some air movement in the cockpit. Since Feb 2015 25,500+ miles on
    mine.....and you will need some cool air. I have the Baker 'Air Wings' attach to the windshield.

If you decide to add Baker 'Air Wings' send me a note
    for info on a 'brace' --- reduces the vibration at high speeds.

• I doubt I will have a need to add the wings to the windshield where I live. I do very little driving under 40mph and the F4 has the right amount of air for that. Not to much, not to little. It does do a good job of keeping the rain out above 40 or so and it rolls off in little beads. Most I've had gotten wet so far is a little on my shoulder while driving. Stopped, or slow, well i get a free shower. I got turned off on the Madstad when I saw the little windshields behind the bigger one. Looked cluttered to me. I suppose you could just leave them off but I assumed they were there for a reason. Not bashing it as I have read some good reports on it. Just not the look I wanted.

Never kill a perfectly good liver with cheap liquor.