How to add a switch to control your headlights.

• I have a question/problem. I have a '17 SLR and was putting in this switch for my headlights. I had already installed the fog lamp kit from slingmods and installed some led's on that circuit. When I cut the black wire for the headlight relay, and installed the switch, it also controls the led's on the fog light circuit. How is that so? I'm trying to trace the wiring diagram in the service manual, but I'm hoping that someone already knows this answer. HELP!!!!!

:SLRSS:

S O G Member

Oklahoma

Slingshot

Riders

• I have a question/problem. I have a '17 SLR and was putting in this switch for my headlights. I had already installed the fog lamp kit from slingmods and installed some led's on that circuit. When I cut the black wire for the headlight relay, and installed the switch, it also controls the led's on the fog light circuit. How is that so? I'm trying to trace the wiring diagram in the service manual, but I'm hoping that someone already knows this answer. HELP!!!!!

If you go back in this thread I think that @rabtech tells you which wires to use for the headlight circuit.

• I have read the thread. All the prior discussion involved only the inner and outer headlights. My problem is the ground wire for the inner headlights relay is also controlling the aftermarket fog lamp relay. The ground wire for the inner headlight relay is the wire rabtech explained. However, this ground wire is also operating a completely separate relay. That's what I can't understand. I just didn't know if anyone else has had this problem that has also installed the fog lamp circuit. As far as the inner and outer headlights, I have no problem. I can already operate the outer headlights from a switch. These two are completely separate circuits. I have rigged one spst switch for the outer headlights, and another spst switch for the inner headlights.

S O G Member

Oklahoma

Slingshot

Riders

• Alright...in case anyone is interested.....the primary relay does in fact control the fog light relay. (This is on a 2017 SLR so I'm not sure about newer models) You cannot add a switch to the center headlights without also turning off whatever you have wired to the fog light circuit. From what I can see on the schematic, even if you get the headlight switch mod that plugs in the fuse box in place of the fuse it will control the fog light circuit. I ended up taking the schematic to a print shop guy and he enlarged it to 400% and printed it off for me so I could see everything and trace the wires. (guess i'm getting old!) Anyway, it's back to the drawing board for me. Going to have to rewire my led's. Ah the life of a "do it your selfer". ;(

S O G Member

Oklahoma

Slingshot

Riders

• Was thinking they changed the fuse box layout for the 2017 but could not find a reference. Fewer fuses...

And thanks for bringing back that info. Some other unfortunate soul is gonna need it.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• @rabtech Ok folks help me out here. I want to do this but how do I know which wire is the black low amperage? Is there more than one for that fuse? One other post shows a whole bunch of other items being removed while this post shows only the fuse box, Why? If I remove the fuse box and turn it over how do I know which fuse controls the lights? Also, isn't there only 2 wires from the fuse that I shouldn't have to worry about which is the black low amperage (1 or the other ) color coded? I also have the 2018 SL. Will this be different on this year too. Anyone and everyone please share what you know. I know I'm capable of doing this I just need questions answered and or pictures. Thank you all so much. Also what size wire would I use to run to the switch and back?

Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless

Edited once, last by frehleycomet ().

• On the inside of the fuse block's cover, it shows what fuse is what and what relay is what. You will want to insert the switch in series with the black wire of the primary light relay. I think I used 14 gauge wire or pretty close to that. (It's whatever I had in the shop) Just know that if you do this mod, that relay also controls the fog light circuit if you have that mod installed.

S O G Member

Oklahoma

Slingshot

Riders

• The fog light kit is purchased separately, so I'll say you don't have it installed. Easy to tell though, if you see a blank spot for a relay on the second row, then you'll know for sure. With the mod stated above, the center headlights will be controlled with the switch. If you want to turn off the outer lights as well, I believe you will have to install another switch for that circuit. Just going by memory here, but I think that fuse is on the bottom row in the first column, you can insert a switch in series with either lead from that fuse. Be sure to check the inside of the fuse box lid to ensure you are on the right circuit.

S O G Member

Oklahoma

Slingshot

Riders

• @Cowboy So you are telling me that the two outer lights and the two center lights have different fuses? Could I remove the fuses so I can see which one controls which lights just for me to verify. Also, if more than one fuse do they all have the black wire for me to cut and run to the switch? Is there any specific switch I should get and do you think I can find one at Lowe's or Home depot? I hate ordering stuff since I want to get things done right away lol. Oh and another question. When I cut the black wire which end goes to which prong on the switch or does that not matter? Thanks

Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless

• Yes, the outer two lights run and the center lights are on separate fuses. See pic below....

The black wire we keep talking about is the ground wire for the relay that operates the center lights. You will need to take everything in that area (ecm, fuse box and the mount for both) loose so you can flip the fuse box to get to the wiring. Find the relay for the primary lights and there should be a yellow wire and a black wire on the bottom side of that relay. Cut the black wire and insert your switch in series with that wire. This just turns the relay on and off. You can find the 30A primary light fuse and do the same thing there, but it is easier to get to the relay and not deal with the spider web of wires.

The outer lights didn't have a relay so I simply inserted my switch from the 20A fuse. That fuse is on the edge of the fuse box, so those wires are easy to get to.

Will you be in Eureka Springs at the rally? If so, I'd be happy to show you in person.

S O G Member

Oklahoma

Slingshot

Riders

• Have a question about this. Can you cut both center and outside lights and put them on one switch? I would think you could if you want all lights off and one at same time.

Thanks

It's not the cheapest option but the Slingmods headlight switch does exactly that for $100. Damn, I think I paid $80 for it. Not sure why it went up $20.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Perhaps I am strange, but one of the many things I have always loved about my Slingshot is the lack of a switch for the lights.

I like that they are just on and I never have to think about them.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Perhaps I am strange, but one of the many things I have always loved about my Slingshot is the lack of a switch for the lights.

I like that they are just on and I never have to think about them.

Understood. If you want to run with halos only or use the demon eyes you need the switch. I also shut mine off when I park in the garage so they're not on at start up (I have the munchkin battery) or when working on it. You do have to remember to turn them on though.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• It's not the cheapest option but the Slingmods headlight switch does exactly that for $100. Damn, I think I paid $80 for it. Not sure why it went up $20.

I have seen that, but I already have the switch and have all of the wire in my shop, so a lot cheaper to just clip the wire. I have also heard that the kit from Slingmods does not fit in the fuse box the best.