How to add a switch to control your headlights.

• Just flip the fuse box over and find the black low amperage side of the relay that turns the headlight on and off. Clip the black wire and carry it to a switch. Then from the switch go back and feed the other side of the wire you cut. In the third picture im holding the yellow and small black wire from the correct relay. Just clip that small black wire so that you have enough slack to connect a wire to the ends of both sides of it.

Pretty simple. Just had to look at the fuse block and the schematic for a few minutes.

I better get a "like" or "informative" on this post. Lol

I wanted to add something to this. Don't let this confuse anyone::: All your doing is completing the ground to turn on that relay. Technically (and I don't know why this wouldn't work) you could just run the wire down from the side that feeds the relay to the switch. Then from the other side of the switch go to a chassis ground. Then when you flip the switch it just grounds the wire and the lights come on.

This is what I made up to do the job. I even threw in a spare yellow wire for the future.

P.S. Someone brought it to my attention that the NEW headlight recall was a bit different. From what I understand it uses two relays to run all the headlights. If that is true then all you have to do is break both ground to the relays. No biggie. You should be able to use the same wire that you ran to the switch and just connect it to both relays...

• Wow!! You must have picked up on my thought waves!!! I was just thinking last night, and this morning, about asking you to post your write-up regarding this very subject!!! Perfect timing!! Thanks @rabtech!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• So I was wiring up a few things and was like hmm I think Rabtech did this already.. So I flagged him down and he ported this post over from the place we do not speak of anymore :whistling:

I have the new fuse box update from the headlight recall so it is slightly different. The split the inner and outer headlights to two different relays to avoid them putting too much load on one. Once you find the thin black ground, count over and find the same one on the identical looking relay. I tied the two grounds together and brought it to a switch in the dash to cut off my headlights. Worked perfectly and they will still use the independent relays.

I also wired up the accessory fuse box so it is switched, tapped off the thicker power wires located under the Polaris fuse box. From looking at what the accessory fuse box can handle I mounted it with velcro in the front where most have mounted it, it is not really good for Stereo Amplifier current draw and should be run direct to the battery with a good fuse.

This is where I put my heated seat switch

• I am going to preface this question that I'm more or less a f&$%ing electrical retard, so be nice if this is stupid.

I want to split my headlights so I have the option of H3s on and H9s off, H9s on and H3s off, or all 4 on together.

The question is, is it possible to wire them to a (1) dual pole switch such that if the switch is in the middle (neutral), all four are on, and if the switch is either up or down, only one of the other set of lights is on and the other is extinguished?

• I am going to preface this question that I'm more or less a f&$%ing electrical retard, so be nice if this is stupid.

I want to split my headlights so I have the option of H3s on and H9s off, H9s on and H3s off, or all 4 on together.

The question is, is it possible to wire them to a (1) dual pole switch such that if the switch is in the middle (neutral), all four are on, and if the switch is either up or down, only one of the other set of lights is on and the other is extinguished?

The answer to your question is yes. But it would require several relays to be added. Relays would have to trigger a break in the headlights you don't want on. Think of it kinda backwards. A relay is a box that has a high amp side [the headlight] that is triggered by a low amp trigger [the switch]

The weird thing is if I'm not mistaken you would be breaking the ground and supplying ground with the relays. That way when the switch was in the off position the lights would be on. And when you triggered the switch either way the relays broke the ground to either set of lights.

• The answer to your question is yes. But it would require several relays to be added. Relays would have to trigger a break in the headlights you don't want on. Think of it kinda backwards. A relay is a box that has a high amp side [the headlight] that is triggered by a low amp trigger [the switch]

The weird thing is if I'm not mistaken you would be breaking the ground and supplying ground with the relays. That way when the switch was in the off position the lights would be on. And when you triggered the switch either way the relays broke the ground to either set of lights.

@V-SHOT, this is the thread I was talking about yesterday. Think between the two of us we could figure it out? (By "the two of us," I mean I'm just going to hand you parts to assemble and fetch you beer....)

• I'm wondering if this will allow for both lights to be controlled by a single switch. The more I look at it, I don't think this will work. I think we may need a dual pole switch. Let me do a little research.

• I'm wondering if this will allow for both lights to be controlled by a single switch. The more I look at it, I don't think this will work. I think we may need a dual pole switch. Let me do a little research.

The kit from SlingMods comes with a double throw switch, I think (and if not, you can buy it separately). The thing that I can't articulate is how to have all the lights on when the switch is in neutral/off, and then turn a set of lights off when you turn the switch on one way or another.

If @rabtech says relays, then I'm sure I need relays. Problem is, I was a machinist's mate, not an electrician's mate. It's been a decade since I practiced drawing electrical circuits, much less tried to put them together on a bench. I started doing the Google research today and then got sucked into some real work, so I'll get back to that.

I think I need to bite the bullet and upgrade the fuse block, too.

So how about the switch in the neutral position does nothing and all lights are on, switch up cuts out the H3s and down cuts out the H9s?

• Just flip the fuse box over and find the black low amperage side of the relay that turns the headlight on and off. Clip the black wire and carry it to a switch. Then from the switch go back and feed the other side of the wire you cut. In the third picture im holding the yellow and small black wire from the correct relay. Just clip that small black wire so that you have enough slack to connect a wire to the ends of both sides of it.

I wanted to add something to this. Don't let this confuse anyone::: All your doing is completing the ground to turn on that relay. Technically (and I don't know why this wouldn't work) you could just run the wire down from the side that feeds the relay to the switch. Then from the other side of the switch go to a chassis ground. Then when you flip the switch it just grounds the wire and the lights come on.

This is what I made up to do the job. I even threw in a spare yellow wire for the future.

@rabtech, we're going to try to figure this out, but I have a couple questions...

1. If we already have the rocker switch, what else do we need besides some random wire and a couple of connectors to connect the wires you cut?

2. Did you make or buy that wire harness in the picture? Is it needed?

3. What do you mean when you say "Then from the switch go back and feed the other side of the wire you cut?"

Sorry for the dumb questions. I just really want to be able to shut off my headlights and run halos alone. Thanks.

• I'd like a more detailed step by step too if possible . . . Would like to switch off headlights. . . Not as complex as what @KayTwo would like, I'm just on/off kind of guy. . .

Well, I'm looking for two separate things here, so don't cross the stream. All the way off, so I can run just halos. Or, alternate between the h3 and h9. Although, when we put in the canadians, not sure what I'll do with those...

• Not sure what yall are needing to know. Basically the headlights and the fog lights have a relay to provide the power to them. The relay is in the fusebox with along with the fuse for each one respectively...

The relay has to have a ground for it to "work" or "come on" . All your doing is breaking the ground to the relay by adding a switch...

I will say this (and I don't say this often)..... if this confuses you I highly recommend not doing this mod... if you get it wrong and grab the wrong ground or get on the wrong side of the load it could burn your SS to the ground. There has to be someone close by yall that has experience with relays and electrical. I like yall to much to go into any more detail and someone get confused and damage their SS or even worse...

If yall were closer I would wire it all up you for free....I enjoy all the electrical.

• Well....fuck. That's it, then. No burning the baby down to the tires for me.