Better Battery...

• The Intimidator battery that @ericastar76 posted up is a DEKA battery, made in the USA and is as good a battery as you can get in my not-so-humble opinion. You get what you pay for and properly cared for, will last the warranty period, unlike many cheaper batteries. It took me a while to figure out that they overrate the discount batteries' warranty period by up to 100% so that you keep coming back to get the 50% discount on a replacement. In the end, you replace it more often than you would with a quality battery.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Edited 2 times, last by SlingLow ().

• The Intimidator battery that @ericastar76 posted up is a DEKA battery, made in the USA and is as good a battery as you can get in my not-so-humble opinion. You get what you pay for and properly cared for, will last the warranty period, unlike many cheaper batteries. It took me a while to figure out that they overrate the discount batteries' warranty period by up to 100% so that you keep coming back to get the 50% discount on a replacement. In the end, you replace it more often than you would with a quality battery.

I've used Interstate from Costco and when failing, get it replaced at no charge (as long as within the 2 years)... Which it usually is... :rolleyes: and they don't check it... :whistling:

• Are there any deals out there on the Optima batteries right now. My stock battery installed Dec.2014 is still going but riding season is here and I think it is time to replace it. The best I have found is Big Time Battery at $245.66 and Optima Direct at $248. Now I do have a very good question. Do you still get the corrosion with the Optima battery as you do with the lead acid battery on the positive post?

• Are there any deals out there on the Optima batteries right now. My stock battery installed Dec.2014 is still going but riding season is here and I think it is time to replace it. The best I have found is Big Time Battery at $245.66 and Optima Direct at $248. Now I do have a very good question. Do you still get the corrosion with the Optima battery as you do with the lead acid battery on the positive post?

I am NOT an expert on battery terminal corrosion, but a quick Google search found this link - Why Do Car Batteries Corrode? Ask Alex #3 which claims terminal corrosion is a result of "...caused by the hydrogen gas that acid releases when it reaches certain temperatures.
    It mixes with other components from the atmosphere and it attacks the metal terminals from the battery as they are exposed to air.

When does this happen?
    As a rule of thumb, you'll find corrosion on the negative terminal of the battery if this is under low charge and it will appear on the positive (red) terminal if the battery is being overcharged. We'll typically find corrosion on the negative terminal as batteries are usually being undercharged. Which by the way is a good way to spot a malfunctioning alternator's regulator (corrosion on the right terminal).

Negative effects of corroded terminals.
    Corroded materials do not have the same electrical properties as their non-corroded versions.
    A layer of corroded lead will have an impact on the amount of power that the battery can deliver as it encounters an initial resistance.
    This is typically one of the first things to check when the engine has cranking issues.

How to clean the terminals from corrosion.
    I have good news:
    It's very easy to clean the terminals and prevent further corrosion to happen.
    Here's what you have to do.

• Get some baking soda and dillute it on water.
    • Get a metal brush, a pair of gloves and make sure to wear eye protection of some kind.
    • Making sure that the key is off the ignition, take the negative terminal off first, then the positive one. (You may lose the radio channel presets on old models)
    • Thoroughly clean each terminal using the brush and soda solution.
    • Clean up the area of any remaining corrosion with water and a piece of cloth/paper. (This kind of corrosion may eat your car's paint so make sure to clean the rests!)
    • To prevent further corrosion from happening, give the terminals a coat of vaseline (or some spare wheel bearing grase you may have laying around)
    • Each six months get the hood up and check, as the grease may break down and corrosion could start building up again. Re-apply and you'll be fine!

Wrapping Up:
    So as you've seen, solving this corrosion issue is really easy.

However, I'm sure you noticed I said "SOME" batteries...
    AGM batteries and other kind of batteries don't suffer from this issue.
    Consider it when purchasing your next car battery!"

He was referring to flooded lead-acid batteries having this problem. AGM and other sealed batteries reabsorb any internally released gases, so they shouldn't experience corroded terminals from this cause.

More info here - LMGTFY

Edited once, last by BKL ().

The group 34 battery will not fit with the Welter Duals Exhaust, my SlingShot built Dec. 2014 has a group 26 battery in it and that is what I have to put back in it. I am just glad that I did not order the 34 battery off of the internet, so let this be a lesson to everyone to check how much room you have to be able to install a Group 34 battery. At least NAPA was good enough not to charge me for my mistake. THE GROUP 34 BATTERY WILL NOT FIT IN ALL SLINGSHOTS CHECK BEFORE ORDERING

• Not an Optima bettery, but Pep Boys currently has this Bosch battery on sale - Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size 34 | 838883 | Pep Boys. It looks identical to the RK battery discussed earlier in this thread.

Pretty strange the way 60.00 dollar batteries became 140.00 dollars almost overnight. I beat the parts store guy down 40.00 on my last battery buy there.

• Pretty strange the way 60.00 dollar batteries became 140.00 dollars almost overnight. I beat the parts store guy down 40.00 on my last battery buy there.

Go to costco and you can get for 87 what part stores charge 150+ and have a 4 year no questions asked warranty.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I wonder why the large deviance in prices across the board? Does it go along with a large delta in quality between these products?

Don't know about other places but costco just rocks they sell the Mt-7(top of the line interstate) for a total steal of $87 after core is returned which is less than 50% what any other place charges.

Here is the MSRP and stats on the group 34 Mt-7 that you can get at costco

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I wonder why the large deviance in prices across the board? Does it go along with a large delta in quality between these products?

I think it just works into the corporate policy of... for every sucker born. They will go to any length to keep from getting off their dead asses and earn their keep. <X

Generally speaking, when someone needs a battery, they NEED it right then. This usually means folks pay what the market will bear. Those of us who have the flexibility to wait and find the best price, usually get the better deals or at least hopefully a better deal.
    I should add that a year or so ago, while driving up to see our Son and Granddaughter in Northern Virginia, the battery in our 2013 Ford Edge died while we were parked at a hotel overnight. I was able to jump start it and then stopped by a couple auto parts stores to check on prices, but I probably paid more than if I had had more time to price shop.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Well battery + bulbs called and said the optima redtop I ordered would take 2 weeks. I canceled, they probably didn't want to give me the 15% discount.

For my 2016 I have picked up batteries for the Slingshot off the shelf from them...identical to the OEM for about $130.00

• [quote='EricRedSL','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/727-better-battery/&postID=350139#post350139']

Well battery + bulbs called and said the optima redtop I ordered would take 2 weeks. I canceled, they probably didn't want to give me the 15% discount.

[/quote]

I bought one off the shelf from Oreillys it has top and side terminals. Use the top just for the main cables and sides for all the add ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• rabtech