Alpha vs Hahn cold air intake

• Sorry guys, I'm not feeling like slinging right now. Spent the day at the docs office. Just want to spend some time with my family. Just have few things I want or need to finish on here first. I'll be around, just not posting much. Thank you everyone for your help with this stuff

• Sorry guys, I'm not feeling like slinging right now. Spent the day at the docs office. Just want to spend some time with my family. Just have few things I want or need to finish on here first. I'll be around, just not posting much. Thank you everyone for your help with this stuff

Hang in there Bro. We'll leave the light on for ya'...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I recently saw a cold air intake ad that claims it adds 11 horsepower. I can’t find that info now...does anyone know which brand that is?

I figure if this way...if I’m spending that kind of money I want the most HP I can get.

I’m not buying it for looks.

• I recently saw a cold air intake ad that claims it adds 11 horsepower. I can’t find that info now...does anyone know which brand that is?

I figure if this way...if I’m spending that kind of money I want the most HP I can get.

The graph is on this page:
    Alpha Powersport Cold Air Intake for Polaris Slingshot – Alpha Powersport Store

We did a lot of testing here on intakes this year after Maggie valley and tested all the intakes we had here - stock intake vs. SLR intake vs. DDMWorks intake vs. Alpha intake vs. HAHN intake, all on the same slingshot, all tested in about an hours time and based on that testing, I would highly doubt you will see anywhere close to 11 horsepower out of any intake. The best gains were exhaust (anything that gets rid of the catalytic converter) and the tune. The intakes are mainly for looks and sounds.

• Thanks Dave, that brings up the next question. Does any brand of air intake work better with different exhaust systems? I’m working toward something but can’t afford everything at once and still trying to decide which way to go....

Or am I doing it backwards....pick the exhaust system first and then pick the intake?

• Thanks Dave, that brings up the next question. Does any brand of air intake work better with different exhaust systems? I’m working toward something but can’t afford everything at once and still trying to decide which way to go....

Or am I doing it backwards....pick the exhaust system first and then pick the intake?

If Dave makes it.
    It is worth taking a look at. Those boys do some quality work at a good price.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Like I posted in the other thread, some CAIs use both the breather line for the valve cover to the air intake tube and the air temp sensor and other CAIs just use a small filter whre the breather tube normally connects to the valve cover. The DDMWorks and Injen CAIs, for example, both use both connections. The Hahn does not and, pics of the Alpha show a breather tube connected to the valve cover, but I haven't seen a pic of the air intake tube that actually shows both connections (air temp snesor and breather tube).

• There does not appear to be any significant performance differences between the different aftermarket CAIs. Here's a link to the old site, aka The Dark Side) for a DIY CAI for just over $100 - DIY: $115 Cold Air Intake | Polaris Slingshot Forum. It doesn't use any type of heat shield/air box, but with the addition of the cobra-head rubber boot to connect to the throttle body, it offers the same basic features as the commercial CAIs, just minus the air box/heat shield, which some folks don't feel is that important anyway.

You don't get max gain on a CAI or smoother flowing exhaust by themselves, you need both. Picture the engine as a large air pump. The easier the gasses can enter and exit, the better. If one side is restricted, you won't get max flow through the other.
    As far as intakes...the stock one is awful, the rubber accordion is not smooth and has inconsistent flow. It is too soft. When pulling vacuum it can slightly collapse. I'm not so sure the 90 degree rubber connections on some CAI systems are the best way to go. I've seen some inflate like a balloon under boost. They have to bend a bit more than optimal due to the hood clearance. The Alpha moves the throttle body and uses a solid tube to connect to the intake manifold. Seems to be a system that would give more consistent airflow. I'm also curious if anyone dyno testing a CAI does it with the hood closed.

• pics of the Alpha show a breather tube connected to the valve cover, but I haven't seen a pic of the air intake tube that actually shows both connections (air temp snesor and breather tube).

Yes ..... the Alpha accomodates both the IAT sensor and PCV vent lines .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Yes ..... the Alpha accomodates both the IAT sensor and PCV vent lines .....

Thanks, based on the pics I'd seen showing a breather line, I assumed it had both. It looks like the line feeds down under the air tube before the TB, just haven't seen a pic verifying this.
    To be completely honest, I think that while a CAI should offer slightly better air flow compared to the stock setup, I feel the main contribution of a CAI is the change in sound, adding more of a roar to the incoming air. I never had a modded exhaust (manifold, muffler or complete system) when I had my CAI.

• Thanks, based on the pics I'd seen showing a breather line, I assumed it had both.To be completely honest, I think that while a CAI should offer slightly better air flow compared to the stock setup, I feel the main contribution of a CAI is the change in sound, adding more of a roar to the incoming air. I never had a modded exhaust (manifold, muffler or complete system) when I had my CAI.

I would agree with you on 99% of vehicles on the road but the Slingshot is unique in that the rubber boot at the throttle body seems designed to restrict airflow. Not only does it neck down and has a flimsy 90 degree turn with convolutions causing turbulence at the throttle plate but you can watch it collapse when heavy throttle is applied.

I never expected a noticeable top end power increase with the Alpha intake alone (it was my first mod) but did expect better throttle response and drivability. It did not disappoint. As I suspect any that correct the airflow to the throttle body would.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......