Alpha vs Hahn cold air intake

• You don't get max gain on a CAI or smoother flowing exhaust by themselves, you need both. Picture the engine as a large air pump. The easier the gasses can enter and exit, the better. If one side is restricted, you won't get max flow through the other....

IIRC, a CAI or exhaust system is supposed to add around 8-10 HP, but even though the two work best combined, the combined total HP is probably closer to around 16 HP or so. Based on early posts about both, mods like these just don't seem to be linearly additive.

• You don't get max gain on a CAI or smoother flowing exhaust by themselves, you need both. Picture the engine as a large air pump. The easier the gasses can enter and exit, the better. If one side is restricted, you won't get max flow through the other.As far as intakes...the stock one is awful, the rubber accordion is not smooth and has inconsistent flow. It is too soft. When pulling vacuum it can slightly collapse. I'm not so sure the 90 degree rubber connections on some CAI systems are the best way to go. I've seen some inflate like a balloon under boost. The have to bend a bit more than optimal due to the hood clearance. The Alpha moves the throttle body and uses a solid tube to connect to the intake manifold. Seems to be a system that would give more consistent airflow. I'm also curious if anyone dyno testing a CAI does it with the hood closed.

My welter duel exhaust is in a box in the Basement....waiting to get my SS back from the dealer....I’ll jack it up and do the transmission cover, shocks, exhaust and passenger insulation all at the same time.

• I would agree with you on 99% of vehicles on the road but the Slingshot is unique in that the rubber boot at the throttle body seems designed to restrict airflow. Not only does it neck down and has a flimsy 90 degree turn with convolutions causing turbulence at the throttle plate but you can watch it collapse when heavy throttle is applied.

I never expected a noticeable top end power increase with the Alpha intake alone (it was my first mod) but did expect better throttle response and drivability. It did not disappoint. As I suspect any that correct the airflow to the throttle body would.

Hahn's thick metal plenum design looked to me to be a sound, well-thought-out solution to getting a good seal and was a major factor in selecting the Hahn CAI and later the Hahn turbo. I must admit however, that I was also impressed with the DIY air intake I later saw on one of the forums that cost less than $150 with off-the-shelf parts and a cobra-head rubber boot for the transition from intake tube to the TB.

• I would agree with you on 99% of vehicles on the road but the Slingshot is unique in that the rubber boot at the throttle body seems designed to restrict airflow. Not only does it neck down and has a flimsy 90 degree turn with convolutions causing turbulence at the throttle plate but you can watch it collapse when heavy throttle is applied.

I never expected a noticeable top end power increase with the Alpha intake alone (it was my first mod) but did expect better throttle response and drivability. It did not disappoint. As I suspect any that correct the airflow to the throttle body would.

That's why you open the 90.