Rear Fender Advice

• Hi All,

I've searched the forums and visited the usual mod vendors and frankly, I'm having trouble picking a rear fender.

Aside from prices in the $400 to $700, which is the best fender taking into account that I don't want to remove the rear tire and prefer (if at all possible) not relocating the license plate. One last thing, do I really have to drill my own mounting holes as I've read in some posts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ride safe
    Barry

• I’m actually considering the Polaris rear fender. I had the original Stealth fender on my 15 and loved it. I have Stickerdick’s on the front of my 17 and he makes a nice rear fender but I actually like the shape of the Polaris one. My wife wants for hers also.

• I've had the Stealth fender in mine for three years. No issues at all. The newer model is easier to install.

I agree.......With one nitpick ,Lining up the 3 bolts on the back [bottom] is a little tricky...But that said i also got the led strip and the air foil....And I'm glad i did it rounds out the whole fender.....I got the fender for two reasons....One was button up all the empty space between the tire and the body...And two is that i ride on dirt/mud roads and it was a mess under there, But now the fender keeps the mud off of the back.
    In my opinion that alone was worth the price... :):thumbup: ..
    P/S The tire does Not have to be removed to install it...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• I’ve had issues with my fender choice from not moving my license plate bracket. you can see the paint damage.
    It was mounted like this

Now it’s mounted like this.

The exhaust pipe runs up the middle and over top of he fender.

• I'm a function over form person. Some folks don't like this fender, but it was the cheapest available when I bought it and now it's only $50! Polaris Slingshot Rear Fender - RIVCO
    It keeps most of any rooster-tail from getting back up on the rear deck, but it does require drilling a couple small holes. Pretty easy install and you can find the instructions on their website before ordering. Also includes swing-arm mud flap!

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I'm a function over form person. Some folks don't like this fender, but it was the cheapest available when I bought it and now it's only $50! Polaris Slingshot Rear Fender - RIVCO
    It keeps most of any rooster-tail from getting back up on the rear deck, but it does require drilling a couple small holes. Pretty easy install and you can find the instructions on their website before ordering. Also includes swing-arm mud flap!

That's not a bad looking fender, all aluminum.... and you can't beat the price! It looks a bit clunky off the bike, but looks pretty good on it! I would buy if I were looking, but I have first generation Stealth on mine already and I'm pleased with it.

• I put a Paramount 1.5 on my previous 16.5 and was running JR1 soft touring shocks. After running across a rough bump, the rear wheel shock compressed enough that the wheel whacked the license plate and I found it hanging by one screw. I like the Paramount products and am thinking of putting one on my current SS. If I do, i will somehow mount the license plate on top where it is now. Seems to me it might just need some longer bolts, or perhaps angled out a bit.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

I like both the Revco and Stealth fenders so much I got both.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• A primary purpose for our installing a rear fender was to help keep the rear "tub" area cleaner, in which we have since figured out is probably impossible due to the aerodynamics of that area "sucking" in all of that road spray. But the fender does help keep the larger debris from beating that area up plus gives the rear a more finished look so it does still serve a purpose. We have given thought to adding the extra splash guard to the rear of the fender, but Justina thinks that that rooster tail being thrown up is too cool looking! :)

Bill

• A primary purpose for our installing a rear fender was to help keep the rear "tub" area cleaner, in which we have since figured out is probably impossible due to the aerodynamics of that area "sucking" in all of that road spray. But the fender does help keep the larger debris from beating that area up plus gives the rear a more finished look so it does still serve a purpose. We have given thought to adding the extra splash guard to the rear of the fender, but Justina thinks that that rooster tail being thrown up is too cool looking! :)

Bill

Most states have rules about vehicles with uncovered tires. In PA car tires are not allowed to stick out past the fenders. Spraying water back toward other vehicles isn’t safe. I like how a rear fender completes the look.

• Most states have rules about vehicles with uncovered tires. In PA car tires are not allowed to stick out past the fenders. Spraying water back toward other vehicles isn’t safe. I like how a rear fender completes the look.

So, are you saying that SlingShot is illegal right off the showroom floor? Really? Then you would be correct, at least where Oregon legislation is concerned, where each tire is required to have a fender. Though, with that being said, how many motorcycles actually do come from the manufacturer with a full wrap around rear fender? I may be mistaken, but I do not believe that the fender on your SlingShot is fully wrap around, is it Bigdog?

Bill

• So, are you saying that SlingShot is illegal right off the showroom floor? Really? Then you would be correct, at least where Oregon legislation is concerned, where each tire is required to have a fender. Though, with that being said, how many motorcycles actually do come from the manufacturer with a full wrap around rear fender? I may be mistaken, but I do not believe that the fender on your SlingShot is fully wrap around, is it Bigdog?
    Bill

If you look at my posted pictures when I redesigned my rear fender bracket and mounting I turned the fender as far down as I could and still look pleasing. I hate it when I drive behind people without rear mudflaps. So I tried to be conscious of how much crap I was containing.

I see many motorcycles without front fender...to me that’s a disaster waiting to happen if you get caught in the rain. Or driving on gravel. Just look at how much crap is thrown under your SS hood from the front wheels with fenders.

Almost every time I follow a dump truck I end up with a rock hitting my windshield which has resulted in many broken windshield repairs or replacements.

I’m sure your SS front end and other vehicles have paint chips from rocks....mine does....so where did they come from....the vehicle in front of you throwing them back. They were not stopped by the fender or mud flap.

Personally I never liked the uncovered SS rear wheel. Ascetically, the naked rear end wasn’t proportioned right....to my eye. Adding the fender and duel exhaust took care of that problem. Same with the front end gap openings....now that mine are covered I like the look a whole lot more. I hated seeing the shocks and arms and other crap.