Drive Belt Adjustment

    I am scheduling a server migration and upgrade for Tuesday Nov 13th at Approximately 4:00AM CST. The site will be down for several hours while the data and database are copied to our new dedicated private server.

    • Drive Belt Adjustment

      @samowens44 My question when doing this is at 195 torque when tightening how do you hold the back end of the Slingshot down. I feel that with that much torque and using a torque wrench that you can probably lift the back end up while trying to get to that torque. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please or someone tell me how they hold the Slingshot down then. I have seen Sam Owen's video and I know I can get this done but I just have this one concern. Also, the manual doesn't clearly show me where to place jack stands at so can someone tell me where to place the stands at properly and safely.
      Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless
    • You will be able to apply the proper torque and the back end will not come off the ground. Be sure to have wheel chokes at the front wheels, front and back of the wheel. This will ensure the Slingshot does not move forward or back as you apply high torque to these bolts.

      You can raise the back of the Slingshot at the back of the Swing Arm where the Big Rear pulley is located. I have a motorcycle jack that one rail will fit between the wheel and pulley Position Jack just far enough in to catch the back of the swing arm and you only have to lift just enough that you can spin the wheel around. 1/2 " or 3/4 " will do the job. Any small jack that you can fit in there will do the job. I like my motorcycle jack as the lift rails have rubber strips on top and will not mare the bottom of your swing arm.

      I am attaching a photo that will show the position of my Motorcycle Jack Rail under the swing arm. Hope this helps.

    • samowens44 wrote:

      You will be able to apply the proper torque and the back end will not come off the ground. Be sure to have wheel chokes at the front wheels, front and back of the wheel. This will ensure the Slingshot does not move forward or back as you apply high torque to these bolts.

      You can raise the back of the Slingshot at the back of the Swing Arm where the Big Rear pulley is located. I have a motorcycle jack that one rail will fit between the wheel and pulley Position Jack just far enough in to catch the back of the swing arm and you only have to lift just enough that you can spin the wheel around. 1/2 " or 3/4 " will do the job. Any small jack that you can fit in there will do the job. I like my motorcycle jack as the lift rails have rubber strips on top and will not mare the bottom of your swing arm.

      I am attaching a photo that will show the position of my Motorcycle Jack Rail under the swing arm. Hope this helps.


      So putting a jack or Jack stands under the swing arm will not affect the adjusting of the swing arm?????
      Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless
    • frehleycomet, what are you actually trying to do? Drive belt adjustment is far from being a precise operation, close enuff is good enuff. My suggestion would be to first check the belt taughtness while the SlingShot is just sitting there, belt needs to be "cold", (.63-1.0 inches between 60-80 degrees.) If that is OK, then leave everything else well enough alone unless you are having noise issues. If there are drive belt noise issues then just scrub the belt very well before attempting any adjusting. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)


      You may want to check out this thread: Drive Belt, FYI, What it should not do back there!

      Bill

      The post was edited 1 time, last by wjfyfe ().

    • frehleycomet wrote:

      So putting a jack or Jack stands under the swing arm will not affect the adjusting of the swing arm?????
      .

      As to your original question no you will not lift the rear of the slingshot when you torque everything down.

      The swing-arm is relatively thin hollow cast aluminum ... never place a jack or jack stand directly under any part of the swing-arm unless it is only to hold the weight of the swing-arm itself.

      When supporting the weight of the Slingshot support it only under the frame, and preferably at the corners where several frame tubes meet.

      To adjust the belt tension there is no need to jack up the rear of the SLingshot at all, it can be left completely on the ground.... if you want you can use a jack to lift the rear slightly for access and take some pressure off the swing-arm when you loosen and re-tighten the swing-arm pivot nut but even that is not necessary. The angle drive adjuster bolt is accessed through a hole behind the passenger seat. All adjustments need to be done with the slingshot completely settled on the ground as it would be in normal driving. Even better with someone sitting in the driver seat and some weight in the passenger seat if you normally ride with a passenger.

      Its a simple 10 minute procedure once you have your tools out, no need to complicate it with a bunch of extra steps/equipment, and IMO no need to even touch it unless its tighter than 3/4" or more than 1-1/2" slack. As always with the belt cold and dry.

      ..... nerd-squared

      .
      :REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......
    • Orangeman wrote:

      .The swing-arm is relatively thin hollow cast aluminum ... never place a jack or jack stand directly under any part of the swing-arm unless it is only to hold the weight of the swing-arm itself.
      Interesting, of course as you reinforced my previous statement, the SlingShot needn't to be raised to check belt tension. But, if adjusting belt location on the rear pulley, the swing arm holds the weight of the SlingShot just fine normally, a jack under the swing arm with a cradle or buffer, (2X4?) so you can rotate the tire while maintaining belt tension, should not create any excessive stress I would not think?

      Bill

      The post was edited 1 time, last by wjfyfe ().

    • wjfyfe wrote:

      Orangeman wrote:

      .The swing-arm is relatively thin hollow cast aluminum ... never place a jack or jack stand directly under any part of the swing-arm unless it is only to hold the weight of the swing-arm itself.
      Interesting, the swing arm holds the weight of the SlingShot just fine normally, a jack under the swing arm with a cradle or buffer, (2X4?), should not create any excessive stress I would not think?Bill



      Best practice is to avoid it altogether its not designed to carry weight in that manner.........

      ...... wink-squared

      .
      :REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......
    • wjfyfe wrote:

      frehleycomet, what are you actually trying to do? Drive belt adjustment is far from being a precise operation, close enuff is good enuff. My suggestion would be to first check the belt taughtness while the SlingShot is just sitting there, belt needs to be "cold", (.63-1.0 inches between 60-80 degrees.) If that is OK, then leave everything else well enough alone unless you are having noise issues. If there are drive belt noise issues then just scrub the belt very well before attempting any adjusting. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)


      You may want to check out this thread: Drive Belt, FYI, What it should not do back there!

      Bill

      I am trying to adjust the belt closer to the left side to see if the screeching sounds good away. I am not adjusting the belt tension
      Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless

    Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.