2018 Christmas Assistance Opportunity

• Okay all, here we are. There is a gentleman that Harvey knows who needs a good bit of help. This is what he initially posted:

There is a man that has been a very special person in my life. He was a Catholic Brother at the middle school I attended. He took me under his care when I really needed someone and molded me into the man I am today. He eventually left the brotherhood and went to work at Ivy Tech counseling young adults. He also helped a friend raise his two abused grandchildren. He has always been there for everyone else. Giving freely his time, love and money. We have stayed close to him and have helped him all we can for years. But now he is retired and quite frankly his Social Security earnings are not enough for him to pay his rent, buy food and pay for the $200 a week he needs for his insulin. He often doesn't take enough because he can't afford it. I realize this isn't a family but this is a person who has spent his entire life giving to others who now finds him self in need. Any help he was given would be greatly appreciated if you choose to help him.

I had reached out to Harvey to finish up some details, and found out this gentleman had a stroke. The docs think they have determined the cause of the stroke, and it is fixable (stroke was caused by a low red blood cell count that can be corrected with diet changes). In the meantime, he has been partially paralyzed on one side, and will be starting rehab in about a week. We have an opportunity here to completely change a person's quality of life - someone who has made a huge impact on the community in which he lives, and on the lives of at least a couple of our members.

If you are interested in contributing, I will be collecting via paypal - heather.twiggs@gmail.com . Once we have all of our donations, I will work with Harvey to put the money towards insulin and other assistance as needed. If you have any questions, please contact me!!!! <3<3<3<3

• I keep meaning to do this, but I always get sidetracked. I have a few minutes now, so I wanted to throw in my $.02 on this particular Christmas event.

Two things that make a difference to me on this one:

First, for those of you who know Harvey ( @Bu11sh1t ), you know he rarely asks for help. He likes to be the guy who is helping others. I didn't get to know him so well until this past summer, when @Ross, @exharleyrider, @SlingLow, @BryanL, and a few others from the U.S. ran up to Canada for a couple days to be with @SundreSlingQueen and @Slingshot Garage and thevrest od our Northern family. I got to see him in action there, and hear some stories on the side. His generosity and kindness to others is truly inspirational. Guys like @V-SHOT, @av8ingtom, @MACAWS, and others who have known him longer could probably tell you much the same, with more stories than I can. But it matters to me that this man who never asks for anything, but would rather just take care of things, is now volunteering that there is something and someone who needs help beyond what he can give.

The second thing that hits home for me is that in one of my discussions with Harvey, I asked him if his friend was a veteran. He told me no, that this man chose to serve in the army of God instead. It was in that capacity, that sort of spirit, that he reached Harvey as a younger man. The quote that I remember from Harvey is, "If it wasn't for him, I would probably be in jail." I know how that feels. A lot of us probably do. There are certain people in our lives, or certain institutions in my case, that made a difference and probably saved us to a lesser or greater degree. How nice is it to be able to repay some of that life-changing kindness? I know I never can. You can't really pay an institution back, and a couple of individuals that I would reach out to are long dead. This is an opportunity to pay it back - not for my instance, but in honor of a friend and brother.

Every little bit helps. If everyone on the Forum were able to give just a couple dollars, we could make a large difference in this gentleman's medical needs. In the end, we will do what we do with whatever is gifted, but if it is in your heart to give....it is greatly appreciated.

• Well, I have some sad news. Harvey's friend passed away today. Harvey is scrambling to get the funeral planned. I will let you know more when I know anything.

I wanted to reach out to those who donated to ask if you would like to use your funds to offset the cost of the funeral that Harvey will likely be shouldering, or if you would like me to return your funds until we find a new individual or family to assist.

• I will see Harvey next weekend, and will give my donation to him in person this time. However, if we decide to help someone else out also, just let me know. I planned to send you funds this weekend, I just haven't been to the bank my PayPal is attached to for awhile.

• Well, I have some sad news. Harvey's friend passed away today. Harvey is scrambling to get the funeral planned. I will let you know more when I know anything.

I wanted to reach out to those who donated to ask if you would like to use your funds to offset the cost of the funeral that Harvey will likely be shouldering, or if you would like me to return your funds until we find a new individual or family to assist.

To the funeral expenses.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter