Madstad windshield differences

• We have an early model Madstad single windshield with the upper center cutout, which we see today has been eliminated. Has anybody had the opportunity to experience the windshield with and without this cutout, basically, has it made any difference? Maybe more specifically when used with a top?

Thanks,

Bill

• I highly doubt that little bit would make any difference in how much wind comes in the cockpit area. If that’s your concern. While the height of the windshield does play a significant role in that. I have a shorter straight windshield I cut down to 6” because I can’t look through plastic. And I have the double bubbles that I cut the driver side down to 6”. They both have a lot of wind coming in. The double bubbles let wind come in between each one. The straight one sends more up toward the roof but still I get a lot of wind in the cock pit. So my plan is to use the straight one for colder weather and the double bubbles for hot weather riding.

You could potentially eliminate almost all the wind coming in with a higher windshield.

• I highly doubt that little bit would make any difference in how much wind comes in the cockpit area. If that’s your concern. While the height of the windshield does play a significant role in that. I have a shorter straight windshield I cut down to 6” because I can’t look through plastic. And I have the double bubbles that I cut the driver side down to 6”. They both have a lot of wind coming in. The double bubbles let wind come in between each one. The straight one sends more up toward the roof but still I get a lot of wind in the cock pit. So my plan is to use the straight one for colder weather and the double bubbles for hot weather riding.

You could potentially eliminate almost all the wind coming in with a higher windshield.

I am not sure I know what the difference is...just the straight line across the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• from - Slingshot (2015 - Up) Single – MadStad Engineering -
    "NOTE: Our new model single/blade windshield DOES NOT have a center notch cut out of the top edge. The top edge of the plastic goes straight across because we found that provides better wind protection. Some of the sample photos show the old style and we want you to to be aware of the change."
    IIRC, MadStad sells replacement or second screens for pretty reasonable prices.

• I bought the 13" model shortly after it came out. I then drilled a second set of mounting holes about 1" higher to allow me to position it lower during cooler weather. I probably should've drilled them a little lower since the higher holes resulted in the windshield sitting so low that I need to lift the windshield from its lowest position before the hood can be opened.

• I have the adjustable Madstad windshield and its only a year old and it seems to have clouded up. When the sun hits it you cant see out of it. Wonder if I can use those headlight cleaners to clear it up. Anybody have issues with this shield clouding up. I only used paper towels and glass cleaner

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I have the adjustable Madstad windshield and its only a year old and it seems to have clouded up. When the sun hits it you cant see out of it. Wonder if I can use those headlight cleaners to clear it up. Anybody have issues with this shield clouding up. I only used paper towels and glass cleaner

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

Wrong, no glass cleaners and no paper towels. You may can bring it back with a LOT of ELBOW GREASE and Meguiar's Motorcycle PLASTIC cleaner/polish or some Plexus Plastic Cleaner Protectant & Polish..

• I believe that you just provided your own answer with using glass cleaner and paper towels. :(

https://www.motorcyclistonline…e-and-cleaning-mc-garage/

Bill

I agree, from what I have read traditional glass cleaners can really mess up acrylic / polycarbonate windshields like we have on our slingshots - - you need to use a product that is specifically designed for the plastic

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• [quote='Volley37','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/6869-madstad-windshield-differences/&postID=296185#post296185']

Thanks for all the tips. Who knew cleaning a windshield is now a second job. Lol

Iam now sure that windex clouded my shield!

[/quote]

Amonia and acrylic don’t play well together. Also, never, ever, rub a tree on your plastic anything! Leaves deep scratches in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I do believe that F4 recommends standard non-foaming glass cleaner and paper towels for their windshields. I'm not sure of the differences between them and Madstad as far as materials/coating/etc.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I have a F4 windshield --- 5+ tinted … really tuff coating that they use on this wind shield. 85,000+ miles and it still look real good. Couple of dings where a stone hit the shield and not my head. The ammonia in the cleaners is what will destroy most of the windshields. Learned a long time ago not to have any around the shop or home.