Double DIN - Splash Guard Installation

• Disclaimer - (The following DIY project is purely “at your own risk”. As with any DIY project, unfamiliarity with the tools and process can be dangerous. Posts should be construed as theoretical advice only.
    If you are at all uncomfortable or inexperienced working on these projects (especially but not limited to electronics and mechanical), please reconsider doing the job yourself. It is very possible on any DIY project to damage your ride, void your warranty, create a hazardous condition, or harm or even kill yourself or others.)

First things first - disconnect your battery!

Read through the installation manual that accompanies your particular model of stereo head unit and get familiarized with the wire schematic.

Next thing to do is to fit your new stereo head unit to the new double DIN enclosure. Some filing may be necessary on the inside corners, especially if you have a motorized face plate. Mount your stereo in the enclosure and verify the splash guard closes fully and does not hit the face of your head unit:

Next you will want to remove the upper dash and trim parts. I won't detail this as it has already been covered in another DIY thread. So, here is a link to cover that procedure:

Dash Removal

Get your measurements of the lip that will protrude through the aluminum section of the dash. Below you will see it outlined in green:

Start sketching out your cut lines on the aluminum. The bottom will start a 1/4" above the cutouts for your toggle switches. This will make sure that the splash cover does not hit the dash top covers and the head unit does not bottom out in the lower dash. You will cut through the thin aluminum plate and the plastic of the upper dash. Be very careful with the aluminum as it bends extremely easy and likes to lift away from the dash. Fit the double DIN in to your upper dash to test fit.

Next you will want to lay your dash back in place. Put the push pins back in place to hold the upper dash in place. You will notice that the remaining lower dash plastic will now need to be trimmed as well to match up with the new opening you made in the upper dash. Now you can go ahead and remove the upper dash again to make the installation of the splash cover to the lower dash plastic trim. Lay the splash guard in the section that you just trimmed out of the lower dash with the mounting holes on the engine side of the dash. Mark your holes and drill them for your mounting hardware. I recommend using these T-nuts:

They can be found at your local hardware/big box stores.

• Next you can find this plug in your dash area for your stereo power connections:

12v (tan/yellow), ignition (black/pink), and ground (black)

You can go the extra step to purchase the factory connector, pins, and seals to have a nice factory harness from the below websites or you can contact me and I can build you one:
    http://www.delcity.net/
    https://www.waytekwire.com/

The remainder of the wiring will depend on which model Slingshot you are starting with and what model head unit you are installing. Happy to assist in that as well if needed.

Now just put everything back together and enjoy your install:

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• Next you will want to lay your dash back in place. Put the push pins back in place to hold the upper dash in place. You will notice that the remaining lower dash plastic will now need to be trimmed as well to match up with the new opening you made in the upper dash. Now you can go ahead and remove the upper dash again to make the installation of the splash cover to the lower dash plastic trim. Lay the splash guard in the section that you just trimmed out of the lower dash with the mounting holes on the engine side of the dash. Mark your holes and drill them for your mounting hardware. I recommend using these T-nuts:
    wow this part sound difficult ... and i'm confused will this cover with the radio will sit in the body or do i need to screw it with the body panel ??

You cant see me !! or can you ??

• The splash guard will be mounted to the lower dash (body). The upper dash will essentially layover the splash guard.

is there any way you can attach pictures for that .. apart from that this look easy install !! im clear on what needs to be done . Thanks

• Bought following stuff finally :

1) Pioneer GM-A4604
    1 b) EFX PA4BX Wiring Kit 8 gage
    2) Alpine MRV-M500
    2 b) EFX PA4BX Wiring Kit 4 gage
    3) Alpine SWA-10S4 x2
    4) Rockford Fosgate PPS8-6 x2 = 4
    5) Alpine KTE-10PG (grill)

Hopefully i can make some good noise ;)

• is there any way you can attach pictures for that .. apart from that this look easy install !! im clear on what needs to be done . Thanks

I can take off the dash this weekend and get shots of it all. Then update the first post. That ok or did you need it sooner?

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• If you're serious I'll make time for a Cali trip. LOL

I don't have much for tools but I do have a Lowes credit card if we need to by things to cut with! If my guy here cant get it done or flakes on me then I will definitely be in touch...seriously! Plus it will give me a chance to meet more cool eastern folks like my brotha from anotha motha @Cameron Roberts !

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• The splash guard will be mounted to the lower dash (body). The upper dash will essentially layover the splash guard.

I can take off the dash this weekend and get shots of it all. Then update the first post. That ok or did you need it sooner?

NO PROBLEMO take you time .. meanwhile waiting for the stuff to come on ... if you have woofer attached instruction on that to and any advise can help ??

• How is the glare - that is why my double Din HU came out . i could not see it! (except at night)

So, what I did was a 2 part system.
    1- Installed an anti-glare cover made for an iPad and trimmed it down.
    2- Tinted the splash cover. If the glare is so bad that the anti-glare cover isn't helping then I just drop the splash cover and I can see again. The tint used has a matte finish to it which also helps with glare.

• NO PROBLEMO take you time .. meanwhile waiting for the stuff to come on ... if you have woofer attached instruction on that to and any advise can help ??

I do have a JL Audio sub in one of the SSV driver side sub enclosures. I can detail that if you want, but it has been covered pretty well in other threads. Totally up to you guys.

• I don't have much for tools but I do have a Lowes credit card if we need to by things to cut with! If my guy here cant get it done or flakes on me then I will definitely be in touch...seriously! Plus it will give me a chance to meet more cool eastern folks like my brotha from anotha motha @Cameron Roberts !

Please keep me posted. In all seriousness you really only need a drill, Dremel tool, small files, and a utility knife. The wiring tools I can pack up and bring along. Can also bring the needed plug, crimps, and seals to make a factory harness.

• I do have a JL Audio sub in one of the SSV driver side sub enclosures. I can detail that if you want, but it has been covered pretty well in other threads. Totally up to you guys.

This is so far ill be doing ... ill be covering both storage spaces with sound dandling and then fill in foam and then on the door ill do 4 holes ( i'm really good at that ;) ) and put in the woofer connect the wires and i'm good.

Am i missing something ??