Slingshot Prejudice

• In Ireland, at a Harley supported meeting - The Ireland BikeFest -
    I found the bikers (whatever they were riding) were very supportive of both Spiders & our SlingShot.

We even went on to win the :thumbsup: "People's Choice - Best In Show" :thumbsup: trophy, with the UK_Paul SlingShot. Much to the HD official's disappointment. It was clear to see Harley had a commercial view, of the event, where as the riders, just thought of riding & appreciating what had attended.

We all just need to keep pushing.

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().

• Fixed it....

• I sat back and read all the post on this thread. Told myself I was going to hold my opinion. I was actually waiting for someone to state the obvious. The Slingshot has a superior braking system, when compared to a motorcycle!! In other words, we can stop and steer out of most dangers with ease. Can you imagine a Harley, or any motorcycle behind a Sling , trying to stop and stay upright in the same distance we use to come to a screeching halt!?!?!
    Relegated to the rear? Sometimes it's the safest place in a ride. Think about it! (End Rant)

Do you seriously think “safety” was the real reason? They didn’t want to breathe SS exhaust. It’s like sucking the hind tit. Everyone knows a Harley is the only motorcycle ever built... everything else is just there. An imitation.

• Just get a nice Harley Davidson wrap for your slingshot - - then they might want to put you right up at the front

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• It is not uncommon to put trikes in the back, I often volunteer to block allowing the bikes to get on the road and fall in behind. I like being last and understand not wanting to ride a bike behind a slingshot due to road visibility. I would suggest putting together a charity ride then putting the bikes last if it makes you feel better. It's really about supporting charities not a dick measuring contest.
    So far all the shows I've been to put it in the motorcycle/trike class per the VIN plate.

• I have noticed in my area that the Harley guys are the ones that don't wave at us. My last bike was an 03 Electraglide. I've said this before on another thread. When the Harley guys don't wave, I just wanna go out and buy a Boss Hoss and give them the finger. :evil::evil:

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• How do you get something as low and sleek looking as the SlingShot look like a big fat hog? :S?(:rolleyes:
    Oops, did I actually say that?

Bill

the wrap wont make it look like a Harley - it will just make it look like a billboard advertising a Harley

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• It was an all inclusive ride. They included the Slingshots, but you didn't care for where they decided to put them. If I went to a Polaris Slingshot ride, I would expect them to put the Slingshots first. Sounds like this was more of a Harley ride, so I would expect those to be first. Besides, from what I've seen I would prefer to be at the rear of any group rather than the front or center. Too many that may be driving from the other direction tend to stare at the Slingshot and not really pay attention to where they are going while still moving. It happened right beside @av8ingtom in Maggie Valley this year when a pickup rear ended a Cadillac while checking out the Slingshots in our group.
    I don't know where you live, or what your local Harley promotes. We still have two Harleys in the stable. Around here, I've not seen any of the promoting of anything but the products, and they don't use half naked women to do it.

I'm a bit fat, goatee'd, tattooed. Not sure about gut busting or disgusting, opinions vary... but I think most that know me would say I'm a pretty good guy. Of the guys I see in the Harley shop around here, that described about at least half or more of them to look similar to me. We are the everyday riders, and that's part of what Harley's sales slump is due to. They aren't bringing in the younger riders as well as they once did.

I remember that morning Brent. @Ross was in front of me when the truck rear ended the Caddy.

• 1) It was an all inclusive ride. They included the Slingshots, but you didn't care for where they decided to put them.

2) I'm a bit fat, goatee'd, tattooed. Not sure about gut busting or disgusting, opinions vary... but I think most that know me would say I'm a pretty good guy. Of the guys I see in the Harley shop around here, that described about at least half or more of them to look similar to me. We are the everyday riders, and that's part of what Harley's sales slump is due to. They aren't bringing in the younger riders as well as they once did.

1) I didn't care for two things:

a) that all trikes EXCEPT for Harleys were relegated to the back when we were clearly told we would be in the middle, and

b) I purposefully got up at 5 a.m. to be there by 8 a.m. so I would be in the front BECAUSE the back of the ride is extremely dangerous. The ride starts falling apart and very pissed off car drivers start cutting in and cutting us off, putting us in danger. There have always been accidents toward the back of the ride. I've done this ride numerous times and vowed never to put myself in such a dangerous position. And I ended up being forced into that position. I had reason to be pissed off.

2) I have found that when I had my Harley, I rode with the best bunch of people ever. Very giving, very watching out for each other, always willing to help. But sorry, my observations stand true - the pictures that Harley-Davidson more often uses to show "regular every day riders" are beautiful thin sexy women more often than not never dressed properly for motorcycle riding, and very fat scraggly bearded greasy haired men with scowls on their face. NEITHER are representative of every day riders - it's a sales pitch (Harley riding women are sexy! Harley riding men are tough!).

• I have noticed in my area that the Harley guys are the ones that don't wave at us. My last bike was an 03 Electraglide. I've said this before on another thread. When the Harley guys don't wave, I just wanna go out and buy a Boss Hoss and give them the finger. :evil::evil:

The only motorcycles so far to give us the finger are Harley riders, more than once. But that's not indicative of any one group - it's simply indicative of a few insecure brand-loyal a$$wipes.

• 1) I didn't care for two things:
    a) that all trikes EXCEPT for Harleys were relegated to the back when we were clearly told we would be in the middle, and

b) I purposefully got up at 5 a.m. to be there by 8 a.m. so I would be in the front BECAUSE the back of the ride is extremely dangerous. The ride starts falling apart and very pissed off car drivers start cutting in and cutting us off, putting us in danger. There have always been accidents toward the back of the ride. I've done this ride numerous times and vowed never to put myself in such a dangerous position. And I ended up being forced into that position. I had reason to be pissed off.

2) I have found that when I had my Harley, I rode with the best bunch of people ever. Very giving, very watching out for each other, always willing to help. But sorry, my observations stand true - the pictures that Harley-Davidson more often uses to show "regular every day riders" are beautiful thin sexy women more often than not never dressed properly for motorcycle riding, and very fat scraggly bearded greasy haired men with scowls on their face. NEITHER are representative of every day riders - it's a sales pitch (Harley riding women are sexy! Harley riding men are tough!).

Well, all I can say is that I'm sorry you had a bad experience. For what you stated as your answer in part 1)... both a) and b), the only thing that you state here that you mentioned before was that the Harleys weren't regulated to the back. You hadn't mentioned that you were told you would be in the middle, nor that you went extra early, nor that there were accidents in the back in the past nor that it was a dangerous position based on pissed off drivers. All of that may have stopped me from even making a reply. It really does help to have all the details.

As for your answer in 2).... I have ridden with good and bad riders and people that were on the HD brand. As for the models, maybe HD sends out different brochures to different locals. Yes, most of the women are thin, and most are wearing too thin of clothes for a ride..... meaning dress jeans and light/thin shoes that are more for looks than the slide if you were to go down. But you earlier stated "thin, almost naked, tight-assed large boobed "every day' women riders".... that's a long way from what you stated this time.

I have a brochure that's current. The ladies are generally thin, and some of them are showing a little cleavage or open upper back. Nothing any worse than a JC Penney catalog, in fact, much less skin. Maybe your brochure is different. There isn't one fat guy in it, however most of the guys look like they are sporting a trimmed week's growth of beard. Some of them have gel in their hair, but I'd never call any of the one's in this brochure "very fat scraggly bearded greasy haired men with scowls on their face."

With that, I'll just bow out of this thread and leave it be. Like I said, maybe your ad that you get is different from the ones I have here. I just find it difficult to believe that Harley would put out something to attract people to their showrooms like that in current day. Maybe back in the 70's, but not in today's ads. That would seem like suicide for the MotorCo, to forcefully alienate some of their base customers in today's market like they have alienated you.