Slingshot Prejudice

• Good advice Big Dog. I attend only one bike night, in Lowell MA, which is family friendly and always has been. Kids, dogs, and organized & secure. All bikes equally admired and welcomed. I don't go to any others.

Haven't found a good spot in my sling to carry yet so I keep it on me. But when someone gives me crap about the slingshot (Laconia bike week NH this year...), I keep my mouth shut. Don't want to argue with idiot drunks shooting off their insecure mouths because they are full on hatred inside them. For whatever reason, they have a need for something to hate.

When I had my pink breast cancer tribute Harley Softail Deluxe, I had the Manchester NH's Hell's Angels come up to me one day. I braced myself for some crap. Surprisingly, they gave it and me respect for the cause. I was very surprised. But then again, Manchester isn't Detroit!

• We took our SS to Cape Coral Florida's 1st Bike Night of the year. The event is huge and attracts I think over 20,000. They have 3 stages and vendors etc.. This year it was set up on the newly renovated street that widened the sidewalks and narrowed the streets. The event was approx seven city blocks long (maybe 8). We parked next to another sling on one end for easy access to leave. The police dept. found it necessary to have one way in and one way out. The "in" being where we parked and the "out" at the other end of the event. The SS had a large crowd around her the whole time we were there. We decided that is was too crowded the way they had it set up and departed early. Instead of letting us travel 1/2 block to get out, they made us drive through 20,000 plus people to get to the other side. So with bikes parked in one lane and vendors across from them on the side walks there was a single lane for foot traffic and bikes exiting and entering. It was a shit show. Most people were taking pictures and giving a thumbs up, but there were way too many disgruntled bikers screaming and yelling at us. My wife was freaked out and so was I a bit. It was almost to the point where I thought I might have to get out and defend us. Some guys really got in our face. It is was really disheartening to see this behavior. It took us almost an hour to get through the crowd. We won't be attending any more bike nights as a result.

My wife and I spend a little time in Florida in Jan/Feb … Last year one evening got together with several other Slingshots for a car/bike show in Coral Gables area...Lots of cars and lots of Bikes and 7 or 8 slingshots and every got along just fine and had a good time. I know several of the guys go to this weekly event several times during the winter months...………. Sorry you had a bad experience. For the most part since Feb 2015 I have had a very positive experience with the other bikers and car buffs. One of the guys near me drive a $80,000 + BMW and waves every times we pass each other.

• My wife and I spend a little time in Florida in Jan/Feb … Last year one evening got together with several other Slingshots for a car/bike show in Coral Gables area...Lots of cars and lots of Bikes and 7 or 8 slingshots and every got along just fine and had a good time. I know several of the guys go to this weekly event several times during the winter months...………. Sorry you had a bad experience. For the most part since Feb 2015 I have had a very positive experience with the other bikers and car buffs. One of the guys near me drive a $80,000 + BMW and waves every times we pass each other.

a guy I used to work with is in one of those aforementioned gangs....he’s seen my slingshot alone up close and likes it.....would he like it with a bunch of his friends?...

Would he keep me from getting killed if it ever came down to that?

Mob mentality rules usually....because you’re outnumbered and if you don’t go with the flow...you could be in trouble...

As a rule I generally stay away from large crowds of any type....to me it just ups the odds of running into an asshole....it only takes one to ruin your day....so why take the change by inserting yourself in a potential situation where it could mean life or death...

Again I know not every gathering turns sour, but you’re not watching enough evening news....drugs, gangs, turf wars...more and more senseless violence is popping up.

I’ve pretty much resigned myself to being the lone bigdog...it would be kinda nice to have a slingshot gang....to hang with...