gas cap gasket

• Is the rubber gasket that is in the gas cap important. stopped for fuel today and when I took the cap off the rubber gasket just fell out ie is all cracked up and pieces even broke out of the center. when I was done fueling I put the gasket back in the cap and it is intact around the edges so I suspect it it still sealing well, but I am sure it will deteriorate more and eventually will be useless.

What I want to know is can I just discard it and if I do am I going to start getting engine codes like you do in a car when you leave the gas cap off

also does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I looked on the polaris site and they dont list it as a separate part and I dont really want to buy a gas cap just for the rubber washer/gasket part

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• It isn't a sealed system. Mine fell out long ago.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• It isn't a sealed system. Mine fell out long ago.

thank you. I am in California and I noticed that on the polaris site under parts there is some evaporative crap specific to California only, but the cap seems to be the same for all

• Yeah it is only a capture tank under the fin. Can yank that too if you reroute the hose. I just left it there though when I moved. Doesn’t hurt anything.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Yeah it is only a capture tank under the fin. Can yank that too if you reroute the hose. I just left it there though when I moved. Doesn’t hurt anything.

Thank you very much for your help - I didnt think the gasket was a big deal, but its nice to have your confirmation

next time i fuel I will chuck it

:D

• Tell us more. Do you have a part number of which section it's in and what it's called? (plumbing, nut and bolt section, ect)

yes! I wouldnt even know where to start looking in my ACE

• No part number it was when I first got my sling. They have a section with plastic and rubbers gaskets and stuff related to them. It was probly 2 years ago I got a locking gas cap and shipped the original to someone on here who needed it.

• Is the rubber gasket that is in the gas cap important. stopped for fuel today and when I took the cap off the rubber gasket just fell out ie is all cracked up and pieces even broke out of the center. when I was done fueling I put the gasket back in the cap and it is intact around the edges so I suspect it it still sealing well, but I am sure it will deteriorate more and eventually will be useless.

What I want to know is can I just discard it and if I do am I going to start getting engine codes like you do in a car when you leave the gas cap off

also does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I looked on the polaris site and they dont list it as a separate part and I dont really want to buy a gas cap just for the rubber washer/gasket part

Mine started falling out once in a while...it appears it was once permanently connected and that connection broke.

The gasket serves a purpose or Polaris wouldn’t have bothered...

Gasoline evaporates and the gasket is to, #1 prevent that and #2 to keep evaporating fumes from entering the atmosphere....think pollution...and you might start smelling gas fumes.