Houston Slingshot Accident - Brake Pin Recall

• Saw this posted on bookface. Not sure of the entire details and how/why this slingshot flipped. However the owner states it was not due to bad driving, but failure to get the brake pin recall performed. More details to come. Happened yesterday. Driver walked away with only a few scrapes, cuts and bruises. Glad he is ok.

@Storm and @DKF Texas might have further details.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Remember you have an Emergency brake if your pedal separates and you lose breaking ability. Still a crap shoot. For the 2017 & 2018 owners, run your vin and see if you are affected.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Hi guys! The owner is saying it is the brake pin recall. This Sling is also automatic. The owners brother was driving and according to his sister her is ok just scrapes and minor cuts. My best friend came up on it a few minutes after it happened and snapped these pics...most important things is the roll bars did there job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The one thing this also illustrates is that you should always wear your seat belts in the slingshot. Your chances of survival are greatly increased if you do and stay inside the cabin as opposed to being tossed out and dealing with anything and everything in or near the highway

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• wow very yl

I'm just curious how, so quickly after the accident, the owner who wasn't there can point at the brake pin recall, and say that that was the issue.

Truly curious, no snark.

guessing it is based on what his brother described as happening to lead up to the accident

So, you're the insurance company ..... how is this going to work with a known recall - are you paying as the insurer and seeking reimbursement from Polaris or are you throwing the owner or Polaris under the bus?

• wow very yl

guessing it is based on what his brother described as happening to lead up to the accident
    So, you're the insurance company ..... how is this going to work with a known recall - are you paying as the insurer and seeking reimbursement from Polaris or are you throwing the owner or Polaris under the bus?

I think that would depend on whether or not a 'stop ride' was issued. If it was, it's on the owner/driver. If not, the owner should have a reasonable amount of time to get it in for the recall. What's reasonable you ask? Good question but I'm just an armchair attorney and do not have that answer.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Damn... So sorry to see and hear. Glad everyone is okay and like you stated, roll bars did their job!

Whose Sling is it? I don't think I recognize it...

I don’t know her personally but suffice it to say her brother is lucky and ....we don’t know what caused it

• I'm just curious how, so quickly after the accident, the owner who wasn't there can point at the brake pin recall, and say that that was the issue.

Truly curious, no snark.

I agree...the brother said the brakes locked up. 2 different people have told me the pin issue would not cause brakes to lockup...we will just have to wait and see...who knows

• I agree...the brother said the brakes locked up. 2 different people have told me the pin issue would not cause brakes to lockup...we will just have to wait and see...who knows

It will be easy to check the pin to see if it failed. I don't understand how the pin failure would lock the brakes? It should keep them from engaging. An automatic transmission issue could lock up the rear wheel as well.
    Unfortunately lots of these questions will go unanswered as no data download will be available.

• So, you're the insurance company ..... how is this going to work with a known recall - are you paying as the insurer and seeking reimbursement from Polaris or are you throwing the owner or Polaris under the bus?

Polaris is easily out of this ... it's highly modified beyond the design parameters tested for use with OEM safety and control systems ...

....... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Glad no one was seriously injured.

What I see from the pics.

Damage shows Slingshot rolled up on driver's side...
    damage to left front fender, scrapes to left rear tub, scrapes to top left side of driver's roll bar...

It may be an illusion of the photo but it appears the left front wheel is pointing left while the right front wheel appears to be pointing more staight on...

What I find most curious is the right wheel damage of the outer rim to three of the spokes pointing aft with white chalky residue on the tire and what appears to be scrubbing of the sidewall in the same area but, only near the rim and not the full sidewall. I see no other damage to the right side of the Slingshot.

Not gonna speculate on what may have happened...

Unable to determine from the fuzzy photo how far it slid on the roll bars. Doesn't appear to be a high rate of speed rollover.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• If its an automatic and has the push button gear select, I would put my money on that might be the failure. I think there has been a few issues with this system especially if any water was involved.