Hood will not latch

• Was driving 5 hours to the Poconos when my hood started unlatching at highway speeds. I’ve had an issue with this for a while but a solid slam and it would always latch.

I would get it latched after 2-3 tries then drive again, only for it to happen in another 15 minutes.

Finally it just would no longer latch. The latches were fine and were not stuck. The hood would simply bounce back up. I tried being gentle, just pushing it down with my hands. Tried slamming it. Made sure no wire or obstructions were in the way. I worked on it for nearly an hour in a rest area before I gave up and turned around, limping back home on side roads where it continued to bounce around.

Stopped one more time figuring it must somehow be out of alignment. Pressed down on the latch area while also pushing inward on the hood with my body.

That got it to finally latch. Unfortunately, it also badly cracked the edge of the hood. The fiberglass just shattered and the paint immediately came off. If it wasn’t for bad luck with my sling I would have no luck at all.

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the hood, or should I just pay the dealership to do it?

Can fiberglass be patched?

• I looked up the warranty. It says one year only, original owner only. ????????

That would be the first I've heard of the one year time frame. I checked mine (a 2015) and it's a 24 month term and is transferable at time of sale but doesn't extend coverage (so by omission, it also doesn't reduce it).

The newer models may have changed the length of coverage but if so, I'm sure it would have been common knowledge to everyone and posted as such on the forums. Any chance you can copy and post that from your manual?

added:
    Even the new 2019 models have the 2 year warranty, so I don't know how it went to one year and then back to two.
    Specs: 2019 Slingshot S - Slingshot S White Lightning with Black S Wheels | Polaris Slingshot

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• The off road side by sides have a one year warranty. The 2015, 2016, and 2017 Slingshots have 2 year, unlimited miles warranty. The 2019 also lists that same warranty on their website. I can't imagine that 2018 is any different, but I haven't found anything on that year. I don't know what year yours is, but I'd bet it's 2 years from the original sale date, no matter how many owners have had it. Wrecked/stolen/burned/flooded could have bearing on this.

@mniron told me to try lifting the release handle before closing the hood. He also told me that if the latches are coming loose while driving, that is normally related to the release cables being out of adjustment. With all the hood buttons he has installed, he likely knows as much if not more about the hoods and latches than Polaris does....

• I have had an interesting warranty issue. I bought my slingshot in may of 2017. I also bought the extended warranty at the same time, wife insisted on it, Took my sling in for some work last June for some warranty work and recalls - At the time I told the factory warranty was over, they said it was only one year and showed me in their computer where it said that. fortunately at the same time they also said that everything would be covered under the extended warranty so I didnt argue with them - so long as things are covered which warranty is used I dont care. Anyway after I got home I decided to check, I was sure it was 2 years so I looked it up

here it is page 87 of the owners book - clear as day 2 years

At this point I dont really care because I do have the extended, But it is 2 years, and it does say on line 4 "original retail purchaser" but then states it is transferable through an authorized polaris dealer so to the OP I would take the book to the dealer and show them

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 3 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• as a side note, reading the page I posted above it seems to imply that there is some kind of official process that must be done by the dealer to transfer the warranty

• Thanks everyone. I did have the dealership transfer the ownership/warranty so we shall see if this is covered. I will tell them it should be...

And as someone mentioned above, I did learn through experimentation that if I gently closed the hood and pressed down and over where the front latches are, then lift up on the release latch, it helped. At least one side caught. That's enough for me to get is safely down to the dealership on Wednesday.

I really have had bad luck with my slingshot.

• Thanks everyone. I did have the dealership transfer the ownership/warranty so we shall see if this is covered. I will tell them it should be...

And as someone mentioned above, I did learn through experimentation that if I gently closed the hood and pressed down and over where the front latches are, then lift up on the release latch, it helped. At least one side caught. That's enough for me to get is safely down to the dealership on Wednesday.

I really have had bad luck with my slingshot.

Don't just tell them - take your owners book with you and show them

And yes, I agree that it does seem as if you have had some bad luck, but hasnt it mostly been with after market things like the stereo and tires before this happened?

• Don't just tell them - take your owners book with you and show them
    And yes, I agree that it does seem as if you have had some bad luck, but hasnt it mostly been with after market things like the stereo and tires before this happened?

I'm generally not big on extended warrantees---but I did get one for my Slingshot.
    One thing to remember is that thru Polaris is must be bought before the two year runs out. Also note that there is a great deal of flexibility in what the dealership charges for the 3 yr program. If you are keeping the Slingshot long term/miles I do believe that it's a good deal.

• I got my warranty extended through Polaris through 2020. My Slingshot is a 2015. You just have to extend the warranty before your two year warranty expires. On another note I am taking mine in and have an appointment on Wednesday morning for them to examine the front end alignment as my driver side tire is cupping on the inside. A dealership in orange county was passed on to me by Polaris and they do alignments. They also said they will have me in and out as I wait Wednesday morning. Wow! What a concept! Same day service !

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• @EjFord. There have been times when my latches refused to latch although seldom. A little WD-40 is all it took on the latch itself. Hoping and wishing that your issue is no more involved than that good luck!

@SoCal I have very little problem with the hood latches. My comment was meant more for the warrantee issue. 3.5 years with the Slingshot and 70,000 miles I am very happy. I have had a few issues but I also have a TOP notch dealer "Nielsen's Ent" in Lake Villa, IL they catch and take care of lots of things before they become problems. I did buy the 3 yr extended warrantee and have used it several time and has been well worth the cost. I do believe if you are into the Slingshot for the long term and miles it's a go value.