Hood will not latch

• I have an appointment for tomorrow for them to look at it. I also am going to make a warranty claim on the damage it caused. The hood literally bounces back up when trying to close it. It caused the corner of my hood paint to crack and start falling off. I am SUPER pissed off! I'm sure I will have a fight on my hands to get this damage repaired.

I am going to make a video tonight of the hood bouncing when trying to close to prove it happens and caused this damage.

• Based on this photo, it seems the hood is not aligned properly. If it is all the way down, the hood is too far forward.

Best of luck in getting this fixed. I really hate the hood and only once made the mistake of removing it. Nothing but problems until the dealer re-aligned it.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Based on this photo, it seems the hood is not aligned properly. If it is all the way down, the hood is too far forward.

Best of luck in getting this fixed. I really hate the hood and only once made the mistake of removing it. Nothing but problems until the dealer re-aligned it.

is this up at the windshield end of the hood near the mirror mounts? If so I would agree that it looks like an alignment issue which also makes me wonder if the hood has been removed before?
    If it had been removed and not aligned properly when reinstalled this would account for the latching issues as well as the damage

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• @studiopeg there are several things that cause hoods not to latch properly, the most common problem is the latch timing and cable tension on the latches. If there is tension on the cables the latch cannot fully latch and will “pop” right back up or open after you think it is closed. From the picture you posted above it looks like the hood “may” be a little forward, it also looks like damage that can occur from worn out hinges. If after you have the dealer work done and you have any problems feel free to get in touch with me.

• See Peg, that's the Phil we all know and love. I've seen him run out of product (hood buttons) at events and offer to take them off his personal slingshot to install on a customer's so they'd have a set without waiting. Most people don't go the extra mile like Phil (and most of the other vendors here)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Oppps!
    @EjFord I misunderstood the thread and thought it was you that had latch issues not
    @studiopeg. Must be getting old or something!

Me, I NEVER make a mistake like that.... LIke our Friend @Tripod always closed with "Slingshots make Kids out of Adults since 2014". I figure the more miles I ride the younger I get. If I keep up the miles pretty soon I'll have to turn in my license … be to young to drive.

• Thanks to everyone here with the posts and videos I found the problem! I was so focused on the latches nearest the cockpit that I didn’t carefully examine the ones nearest the front. Both tension hooks were totally jammed. Easy fix but who knew.

The dealership today told me they will submit a paint damage claim for me so we will see how that goes.

You guys here all rock!!

• I feel you @'studiopeg!

When I posted on this site with some break issues on a long tour I was absolutely amazed and grateful for all of the incredible responses and encouragement from this site.

This place does rock !

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• My dealership rocks too. This morning when I showed the service manager the paint damage, he said he would get it taken care of as it never should have happened. Sure enough, I am getting a new half a hood.

Damn. I'm grateful but now I will have to bling it again.......... :)

• No I haven't updated any latches... frankly I am getting terrified of updating anything. My luck is HORRIBLE. I don't want to touch anything on the sling anymore. Seriously.

• I actually snapped the head off my rear latch bracket bolt and had to drill it out and tap it for a bigger bolt. All that had to be done at an angle because I didn’t want to tear apart half the SS.

Everyone has upgraded those brackets because the factory ones flex too much which could cause locking issues.

• Three Slings and I haven’t replaced the brackets on any. Did DDM extended hinges on one and getting ready to put them on my wife’s.

There is a reason someone came up with the idea to beef up those brackets....just saying...many have been replaced.

Everyone evaluates every mod and decides if they need or want or have the money to pay for them.

• I have an appointment for tomorrow for them to look at it. I also am going to make a warranty claim on the damage it caused. The hood literally bounces back up when trying to close it. It caused the corner of my hood paint to crack and start falling off. I am SUPER pissed off! I'm sure I will have a fight on my hands to get this damage repaired.

I am going to make a video tonight of the hood bouncing when trying to close to prove it happens and caused this damage.

mine did the exact same thing on the drivers side....and I have no reason why or what caused it.

• This is so stupid, but just in case somebody else happens to be a lil slow in thinking like I was.................

.......................the hood on our 2015 started needing a extra an extra lil push to get the rear latches to catch so since it was raining today I was getting ready to try to adjust them when I spied the can of Tri-Flow on the counter......................give each of the latches a squirt...........................and now I am looking for something else to do! :P

Bill

• This is so stupid, but just in case somebody else happens to be a lil slow in thinking like I was.................

.......................the hood on our 2015 started needing a extra an extra lil push to get the rear latches to catch so since it was raining today I was getting ready to try to adjust them when I spied the can of Tri-Flow on the counter......................give each of the latches a squirt...........................and now I am looking for something else to do! :P

Bill

love Tri-Flow - - - -works great and smells good too

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The hood latches themselves have many adjustments.

The cables have many adjustments....they can be too long or too short.

A few of my cable ends on the latches where in the wrong holes....

The entire latch brackets have adjustments....front to back and side to side..

And they all need to snap open at the exact same time....one click should be heard when all 4 open...

Make sure the 4 catches on the hood itself are tight....they have no other adjustment..

My hood will not latch by simply using a gentle closing method.....it needs a good firm slam....I’m just saying that’s how I have to close mine...it will never latch being gently closed...or stay latched..

Also put lots of grease on the moving parts.....I used white lithium...swimming pool grease ...it’s waterproof..

You might have to put a video camera under the hood to watch what happens when you close the hood...

You might have to adjust the hood hinges too....to slide the hood forward or backwards and or side to side slightly...and up or down.

Or rotate it....left or right...

It’s highly complicated and extremely touchy. A little bit goes a long way...

One more thing....blue thread lock should probably be used on all the bolts....