Hawk Pads+Composite rotors= SPARKS!??

• I had the Polaris upgraded composite rotors with the Hawk pads from Slingmods installed a few months ago. The other night when it was pitch black I noticed sparks at hard stops...also they squeal like nobody’s business since install.
    Normal?

• No, you should inspect the rotors and pads for unusual wear. Which Hawk pads did you install, very aggressive pads are more likely to make noise and would not recommend them for street use. Another possible reason they are noisy may be that they were not properly broke in.

• I had the Polaris upgraded composite rotors with the Hawk pads from Slingmods installed a few months ago. The other night when it was pitch black I noticed sparks at hard stops...also they squeal like nobody’s business since install.
    Normal?

Are the rotors glazed....

I bought them also just haven’t worn out the old ones yet..

• Surprises me that these are now the recommended Slingshot pads ..... Under the previous designations they are the old "Race" pads and will never reach proper operating temperature on the street ....

Noise, dust, and heavy wear are expected with this compound ...... and who knows what alloy is used for the Polaris two piece rotors .....

IMO compounds like this should be used with slotted rotors to evacuate dust and keep the surface of the pads from glazing ....

.... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• @Orangeman so you’re saying it’s time for slotted rotors....

FOR SALE: Slightly used composite rotors from Polaris, all offers considered! :P

Those are the "wrong" pads for the slingshot unless using them for track days, the pad that you should be using is the Hawk 5.0 Street Pad.

As far as using slotted rotors again unless you are tracking your machine they won't provide better braking, all they will do is improve aesthetics.

Also remember that aggressive pads will be noisier than you would expect initially due to the slingshot being open and you listening to every single road bump but they shouldn't squeal like a pig about to be butchered.

The sparks are nothing to be concerned under hard braking, metal on metal hard friction.......we are bound to get a spark here and there , as long as you don't get the same amount as a roman candle then I think you should be fine.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Those are the "wrong" pads for the slingshot unless using them for track days, the pad that you should be using is the Hawk 5.0 Street Pad.
    As far as using slotted rotors again unless you are tracking your machine they won't provide better braking, all they will do is improve aesthetics.

Also remember that aggressive pads will be noisier than you would expect initially due to the slingshot being open and you listening to every single road bump but they shouldn't squeal like a pig about to be butchered.

The sparks are nothing to be concerned under hard braking, metal on metal hard friction.......we are bound to get a spark here and there , as long as you don't get the same amount as a roman candle then I think you should be fine.

You are so correct, just using the 5.0 Hawk pads is the difference in night and day with the stock rotors. Even on the track days for me and I have never had a problem with heat or pulling down my speed from 115 mph for a 60-70 mph corner. But unless totally necessary I use the brakes very little on the twisty roads

• Absolutely! I have no idea why they would be recommending these pads for the street, here is the graph of the Hawk Pads and the operating temps, the HT-10 doesn't really get into a good efficiency range until around 400F, which is really hard to get to in a Slingshot.

• This is a review comment from slingmods site about these shoes...

Tons of brake dust
    Before and while doing bed in there was a ton of sparks. After bed in have not see sparks. They do make lots of dust. Have to wash rims after every ride. Good stopping power over stock.

I’m assuming “bed” is a typo that should say the brake in period...

Appearently the sparking stops at some point....

That said are these metaling brake shoes? Grinding on aluminum discs could be the reason...just make sure you dont have a gas leak anywhere....and don’t forget the gas tank breather hose exits right in front of the swingarm...

Pads not shoes ....

"Bed in" is correct terminology ....

The rotors are not aluminum ....

There is plenty of distance between the rear caliper and fuel tank vent line .....

Brakes get hot .....

..... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......