Remedy for a noisy belt

• The Grasshopper was bringing me to work this morning where it was reminding me once again that the belt needed cleaning. Getting on to a busy two-lane with a mostly blind corner I pulled out heavier on the throttle than usual and really put it up through the gears to get up to speed. Shortly after that I noticed that the belt had quieted down? :)

Bill

• What you are likely noticing is 1 or 2 things....

1. As the belt heats up during aggressive driving, the belt stretches and tension is reduced. This makes the belt quieter, on machines where the belt tension is on the tight range of the spectrum.

2. You knocked off a bunch of debris/dirt that was making the belt louder than normal.

Both are easy to validate...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

Edited once, last by TravAZ ().

• Number one is likely my reason I never hear the belt get noisy. I run my belt from Polaris's loose setting to looser by 1/4"ish. I've not had bearing issues in the swingarm, and my angle drive is quieter. I do run Redline Heavy Shockproof in the angle too, and I'm sure that helps with the angle drive being quieter.

• WHOA, boy am I having a major brain fart here maybe, I thought that as the belt heated up it got tighter?? :S

Bill

• WHOA, boy am I having a major brain fart here maybe, I thought that as the belt heated up it got tighter?? :S
    Bill

Not a brain fart on your end, it was on my end. The cold tension would be looser than the warm tension. Sorry for the confusion, I will edit the post that was backwards.

The belt will stretch overtime though slightly.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D