SATX - Avoid Alamo Cycle Plex Service and Warranty Dept

• My review left on their Facebook page is included below. I know @Davezann has a story or two about this place as well. Do yourself a favor and head east if in SATX and hit up Woods Cyvle Country. Much better service there...

BookFace Review:
    Communication is key. This dealership totally lacks it and customer service... well they lack that too.

I took my Slingshot in for warranty work and 10K miles service in April 2018. Service was performed and they took notes in order to get the warranty work authorized (replace a few failing body panels, brake light failure and leaking angle drive) through Polaris.

After several emails from them (requesting additional photos) and not a single call I pretty much wrote them off. To my surprise 4 months later (early Aug) I get the call to bring it in. Unfortunately I was in the middle of some upgrades to the vehicle and awaiting some parts from Italy. I made mention that the Slingshot was not drive-able at the moment. I finally received parts and got the Slingshot back on the road in mid-Aug. I was itching to ride after being down for almost 2.5 months. I chose to drive the Slingshot and planned to deliver the vehicle to Alamo Cycle Plex end of Aug/beginning of Sep. To my surprise it rained... and rained... and rained! If you own a Slingshot you know you avoid driving in the rain at all costs due to the ease in which these hydroplane.

On the 13th of Sep. I took a call from the service dept. (Roger) who threatened to close out the warranty case and send the parts back to Polaris. Even though the call and tone was in poor taste, I agreed to bring it in right away. I mentioned that I store this vehicle indoors and was afraid they would toss it outside (Like they did last time they serviced it) in the rain that was projected to continue. He stated it would be stored indoors so long as I mention it to the reps when I drop it off. When I dropped off the vehicle, I mention to the rep that I'd like the vehicle stored indoors during its stay. It was written on the ticket for service and on my copy. I am told it has been sitting outdoors this whole time when it could have been picked up and stored appropriately until they were actually ready to do the work. The service rep claimed “oh we will detail it before we are done.” I’m not holding my breath on that one.

In my estimation, the warranty work should not take more than 3 days max... and realistically is a one day job. 8 days later, without communication from the service department, I initiated a call. Come to find out my Slingshot has been sitting outside for the past 8 days and no work has been performed. I received an excuse that a wrecked Slingshot was more important and their sole trained Slingshot Tech was working on that vehicle full time.

They will not hand over the warranty parts for me to install myself (I'm def qualified to install), but offer to have an "in training" tech perform the warranty repair only after I state I am on my way to pick up the vehicle. WHAT?

My demand that the in training tech only perform the panel swaps and not touch the leaking angle drive I am confident will not be honored. Fingers crossed they can get it right.

I really feel like my vehicle has been hi-jacked at this point!

Add my experience to the pile of other slingshot owners and avoid this service department at all costs. Take the drive East you'll find a dealership who the community rave about. Wish I had done my homework.

+++++++++++++++++++
    Update: 9/27
    The dealership made good on their promise to have the Slingshot back to me NLT Friday and that it would be detailed. They did a pretty good job on cleaning up the Slingshot and got it back to me on Thursday. Despite not completing all the warranty repairs (Reason unknown) the service representative Roger promise to order the missing parts and have them rushed.

They replaced my third brake light cover, fixed the brake failure and re-sealed the leaking angle drive. Still have a spider crack on the driver’s side outer panel and the right taillight housing is flaking.

Spent a good 10 minutes in Roger’s office discussing my review posted reference my experience and displeasure with the “hurry up and wait” game I went through. I do hope they can use this as a learning experience for the service team as he claimed. I believe my assessment of my experience was realistic and not fueled with emotion. It seems the GM wasn’t aware of my case and timeline, however they have email traffic and notes to validate my initial review.

Pending the two parts arrive in short order and are installed as I wait as promised, I will be content with the end result. I’d really like to see this dealer change a few things and work on their communication with their customers. Due to how close I am to this dealer, I’d really like for it to be my go-to place for service and parts.

While I was there last week, I noticed a flyer for a Slingshot specific ride put on by the dealer. I really would like to support the ride and future events, but would like to see better advertising of such. I gave Roger a few ideas to reach a larger population of riders and hope they consider them.

Will update when the last parts arrive.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

Edited 4 times, last by 2W2X1 ().

• Joey, when my angle drive leaked, Polaris replaced the entire unit. They said that since it is a liquid gasket, the source of the leak is likely poorly machined surfaces that do not properly mate up. I would hope they'd do the same for you. The replacement is a little quieter than the first one, which wasn't bad. Good luck getting out of there and back on the road. I'd be pissed too!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• if i did not allready pay for my service plan i would be going to Woods for my services. Unless Alamo will refund for service plan i paid for very unlikely.

By law they have to. It is a pro-rated plan. You can request it be cancelled. Much the same if you sell your vehicle, you can get a refund on the unused service plan and extended warranty.

"Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Joey, when my angle drive leaked, Polaris replaced the entire unit. They said that since it is a liquid gasket, the source of the leak is likely poorly machined surfaces that do not properly mate up. I would hope they'd do the same for you. The replacement is a little quieter than the first one, which wasn't bad. Good luck getting out of there and back on the road. I'd be pissed too!

I would love for them to replace it. I didn't realize this was the fix for a leaking angle drive. I'll report back on what I find the remedy to be when I pick it up Fri.

They just verbally stated what they were addressing, not what the fix was.

• I would love for them to replace it. I didn't realize this was the fix for a leaking angle drive. I'll report back on what I find the remedy to be when I pick it up Fri.
    They just verbally stated what they were addressing, not what the fix was.

Roger that. I expected new gaskets and was a bit put off when the Sling sat at the dealer for 10 days (8 'business' days) waiting for parts in the middle of summer. I was somewhat appeased when they sent me an entire, new unit which I was not aware of until I picked it up. I asked the tech to see the old unit and he had not even cracked it open. It was going back to Polaris intact - maybe to repair and send to you!

• It was going back to Polaris intact - maybe to repair and send to you!

:thumbdown:

• I got you covered... read section e. of this portion: Sec. 1304.003. Service Contract

Here is a link to the TX law: Service Contract Providers Occupations Code

Also read more here: Service Contract Providers Occupations Code

• Go get that money back @Davezann!!!

Shoot save a bundle and do your own oil changes. It is easy!

• Updated the original post to reflect the experience further. The Service manager (?) Roger was very apologetic and a bit miffed at my review on their FaceBook page. Seemed to have done the trick though.

@SlingLow Was a bit disappointing that they only replaced the seals and not the entire angle drive. But will watch it and see if it continues.

• As a side note to all. I recommend using email correspondence after every phone call. Simple send an email to your service rep or manager hitting all the high points of any phone conversation. Ask them to respond back if they find anything they do not agree with. It is an extra step but helps in two ways. (1) keeps a timeline record of all correspondence and (2) keeps a record of what was discussed, agreeded and disagreed on for both parties.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Great point @Ruptured Duck!

• Updated the original post to reflect the experience further. The Service manager (?) Roger was very apologetic and a bit miffed at my review on their FaceBook page. Seemed to have done the trick though.

@SlingLow Was a bit disappointing that they only replaced the seals and not the entire angle drive. But will watch it and see if it continues.

@2W2X1 I'm thinking yours has actual gaskets. If they are liquid gaskets applied directly to the surface, I guess there are no replacement gaskets. If there were, I would expect Polaris to install them at least once. What year is your Sling? Mine is a 16.5+