Sneak Peak - The New Front Lip

• After my last 1/2mi event, I decided that aero was going to be one of a number of things I would focus on to prep for the next half mile in Ocala. In an effort to create a little more stability on the front end of my SS, I've already sorted out the rear, I came up with a basic design and sent it to our friends over at APR and they made a custom one off carbon fiber front splitter for me. Well, it came in today and now I just need to get it mounted. It looks amazing and is solid. It's pretty aggressive and sits 4.5" off the front of the SS and goes all the way back to the oil pan which I'm hoping will help stabilize some of the air flow going under the SS but testing after it is mounted will tell me that.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• very interesting - I look forward to hearing how this works out

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• sure would be great if someone got some wind tunnel time to play with things like this.

• Will be interesting to see how it works out. For your intended use, looks good.

For the rest of us...
    The further that reaches out at the front from the wheels, the quicker that 4.5" clearance is gonna dissappear on bumps, ramps, and incline changes...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Will be interesting to see how it works out. For your intended use, looks good.

For the rest of us...
    The further that reaches out at the front from the wheels, the quicker that 4.5" clearance is gonna dissappear on bumps, ramps, and incline changes...

We will also be doing a less aggressive version once we have mounting options sorted out. Also, unless your SS is bagged or has been significantly lowered on coil overs, clearance shouldn't be an issue. The SS doesn't sit that low and the suspension isn't that soft. I have mine lowered quite a bit and clearance with the stock front end has never been an issue even tossing it around on a road course. But I also do not live in places like Los Angeles where driveways to a lot of places tend to be pretty steep and I cannot speak to the road quality, bump size, or ramp inclines in Alabama.

• Okay Kyle - please tell us

in your OP your words "I've already sorted out the rear"

have you actually done something to help with that giant vacuum creating dead zone?

• I have been running a similar lower splitter since day one.
    It comes back as far as my inter cooler, I am sure yours will be much more effective on the track but I can tell you it will be a bear on street.
    Be extremely careful on every incline and driveway. the extra length up front is like having a cow catcher - entering and exiting the trailer is another challenge
    But I have smacked that thing 100 times and haven't broken it yet

Yours is beautiful piece of work I am jealous!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I got tired of having to readjust the lower front wing after what seemed to be all-too frequent critter encounters during night rides, so I replaced the lower wing with an eBay rear deck spoiler. The spoiler is about 42" wide and so far I attribute its narrower width (compared to the full width lower front wing) with being better able to avoid impacts with critters and road debris. Theoretically, the spoiler can also be adjusted to increase or reduce any down-force the spoiler might generate. Here's a pic -

@ericastar76 expressed some concern about the possibility of damaging the front frame extensions since the aluminum mounts are angled down and might leverage the extensions in an impact. I've come up with a bracket redesign that should hopefully allow the bracket to slide backwards in an impact and spread the force out timewise, but haven't gotten around to fabbing a set to check it out. The new bracket will mount above the spoiler and should also lower the wing so it's below or closer to the bottom of the intercooler and work with a piece I'm designing to enclose the lower area between the two frame extension boxes and better direct air to the intercooler and radiator.

• Okay Kyle - please tell us

in your OP your words "I've already sorted out the rear"

have you actually done something to help with that giant vacuum creating dead zone?

I've sorted out the needed down force on the rear. We have some ideas about that dead zone/back draft issue that we are going to be testing some theories on in the future. Hoping to get some answers this year but right now Ocala prep is the main focus and once Ocala is over we are going to Tail of the Dragon for a week and then back to MI where we will likely have snow or weather too cold to comfortably go out and do anything. That portion may have to wait until next year.

• Snow? whats snow?

• When do we get to see some photos of that front splitter all mounted up?

One of our Fab guys just drew up the brackets we are going to use for support in addition to the front support rods and sent the files to the laser cutters. Should have the brackets back in a few business days. Once mounted I'll post some pics.

• One of our Fab guys just drew up the brackets we are going to use for support in addition to the front support rods and sent the files to the laser cutters. Should have the brackets back in a few business days. Once mounted I'll post some pics.

Great
    I wish I could run with something that sits that far out on the street but I have learned from mine that won't be practical
    Hell I couln't even remove mine without a grinder there are no heads left on the bolts underneath the splitter. I even raised the front ground clearance to 4.5"

Looking forward to the final pictures

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• GreatI wish I could run with something that sits that far out on the street but I have learned from mine that won't be practical
    Hell I couln't even remove mine without a grinder there are no heads left on the bolts underneath the splitter. I even raised the front ground clearance to 4.5"

Looking forward to the final pictures

so true.... There is a street limit for sure.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Well I've finally gotten a chance to start this front lip project. Here are a few photos. It's mounted and solid but nowhere near finished or fully supported. The end game will be for it to have enough overall support for a 150# person to stand on it. However, I will be testing that with one of the lighter weight females here first. Momma didn't raise no fool. ;)

• Kyle D

Changed the title of the thread from “Christmas Came Early - Sneak Peak” to “Sneak Peak - The New Front Lip”.