Engine Oil Lubricant Discussion Thread

• If/When Harvey ever clears enough to let me resume the install of my Hahn turbo kit, I'll need to buy some new oil. Looking at RAT540's site, he isn't a fan of using Diesel oils in gasoline engines and seems to place the strongest rating on what he calls Wear Protection in terms of higher psi, listing Valvoline 5W30 Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology as # 5 on his list with a Wear Protection rating of 123,470 psi.

Assuming his rating system is valid (from reading his site, it would seem to be), the Valvoline at # 5 rates higher than Mobil1 5W30 Full Synthetic which he rates as # 9, with the caveat that under higher temps Mobil 1 also lost a significant amount of Wear Protection, so I'm leaning towards the Valvoline 5W30.

My question deals with using a "High Mileage" rated oil in an engine that has less then half the mileage used to qualify as High Mileage (36K miles vs 75K miles).
    - Anyone have any experience/opinion about using this High Mileage oil?
    My alternative is trying to find a well-rated 10W40 oil, but the highest-rated 10W40 on his list is quite a bit down the list at # 33 for Valvoline 10W40 High Mileage Synthetic Blend or # 52 for Pennzoil High Mileage Conventional oil. Based on their significantly lower rankings, I'm definitely leaning more towards a 5W30 unless folks can convince me not to.

Here's his description for the Valvoline opil - "5W30 Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved (silver bottle) = 123,470 psi
    Valvoline had a chart on their Website showing that this is their best oil for fuel economy and Horsepower. They also said this oil provided more anti-wear film strength than 5W30 Mobil 1, which is what I also found in my testing."

• I place a quote from his article. That Mobil one has enough to be listed in the high performance / racing group of protection.

"Racing and High Performance street versions of those engines are best protected by oils that provide 100,000 psi or higher film strength/load carrying capability/shear resistance"

• Search NAPA 5w30 full synthetic. It's made by Valvoline and is in the top tier of protection. I'm seriously considering it for my next change in all my vehicles.

Thanks

That is much less expensive than the oil I am pouring in every day!
    Definitely a more economical way to pollute the environment

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Getting ready for the 5000 mile oil change...The service manual says it holds 5 qt...is that if you change the filter or will it take more to be right on the dipstick?

I’m going with this...as per all the debate.

5W30 Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved (silver bottle

I don’t see how it could hurt anything..and reading the description does this have more in it than the regular 5w30?

• mine was 5 qt on the head replacing filter too.

Not sure I'd use the high mileage blend, but thats just me. I used regular 5w30 Valvoline dexos in mine, was first oil change.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• Does anyone know which company makes the oil for Polaris?

It's so top-secret that not even Polaris knows. I've been wondering this for years - just not enough to try to figure it out. I run Castrol in my quads and Mobil 1 in the Sling.

My understanding is that there is no disadvantage to running the high mileage synthetics (not blends).

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• lubetech.com

"• Lube-Tech (aka Lubrication Technologies, Inc.) in the early 1990s created for Polaris its first brand-exclusive, specially blended motor oil for Polaris 2-stroke snowmobile engines. Lube-Tech has since provided the company with specially formulated oils for engines in all Polaris vehicles, with each oil specially engineered for optimal performance and engine longevity. Lube-Tech has provided Polaris with exceptional customer service and breakthrough technology, including the first synthetic oil for a 4-stroke ATV engine, the first synthetic for 2-stroke engines, and the first smokeless 2-stroke oil."

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/c…s-item.aspx?articleID=263

........ ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Looks like the cat is out of the bag - no more secrets

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Ok I did my first oil change using valvoline full synthetic....not the high mileage one.

Before I did this I watched a video and the guy doing it had a horrible time filling it with oil because he had to hold the funnel with one hand.

So I invented a funnel and it holds itself. I dumped the whole 5 quarts straight in no stopping and it went in as fast as I could dump it without over flowing.

Sitting upright by itself

Started with this and cut off the end so I had about a 1” hole

Then I found a lid from a spray can cut the closed end to fit the hump in the valve cover fill hole.

Used super glue and baking soda trick to mate them together. I glued inside and outside.

It worked way better than I thought it would.

Make sure the cap you choose fits in the valve cover, first. Mine fit perfectly with very little play.

• I’ve been using valvoline high mileage synthetic oil for vehicles over 75,000 miles in my high mileage vans.....at Walmart you can get a 5 quart jug for $22.50.

Valvoline just changed that high mileage formula....or at least they changed the price....to a new high mileage synthetic that guarantees the motor for 300,000 miles if you register it before you hit 125,000 miles.

But they increased the price to over $36 a jug. That’s over $7.20 a quart.....

I just came back from Walmart with the last 5 jugs of the old stuff....

• Bigdog, the change in price from $22.50 to $36.00 is Valvoline's insurance escrow collection for their new 300,000 mile guarantee.

To me, it says their own faith in their product is not very high. From now on they are collecting a 60% insurance premium on every purchase. Most people probably don't think of their vehicle becoming high mileage until after 125,000 miles has passed and it's too late to register, but they want to use this magical product anyway. Doing so, they make the premium payments, even though they can't collect on the guarantee. Those discovering the guarantee early may begin using the product possibly from only 10,000 miles. Likely they will pay the premium many times over. Registered or not, the faithful will pay the premium multiple times as they use the product over the miles. Also, how many registered users will decide to sell or trade their vehicles early removing them from the pool?

With so many premiums that can be paid with so many exceptions against collection, the odds are well in Valvoline's favor to make this guarantee part of their advertising. It should stimulate many sales.

Nothing that I have opined in any way should suggest that Valvoline's High Mileage Full Synthetic oil is not a good product. I'm only stating my opinion as to why the price would make such a large jump coincident to the 300,000 mile guarantee being made.