Engine Oil Lubricant Discussion Thread

Not that it matters 'cause I don't care if you choose to run peanut oil in your ride however just for clarity Amsoils history with aviation is that its base was first formulated to stop the oil coking problems in military jet turbine engines. Nothing to do with piston driven aircraft engines. The companies founder, fighter squadron commander Lieutenant Colonel Albert J. Amatuzio, adapted the synthetic base to API approved formulas for consumer automotive use ......

........ ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Amsoil makes great products which can be backed by oil analysis, my issue with it is the almost cult/illegal/under the table type of BS that you have to go through to buy them.

In my case the closest distributor is "Bob The Oil Guy" who lives out in farmland WIs, he always wants you to buy a case and sometimes you guys want to buy 1 of something, they have many great products but there are many things that I would like to buy that I would not use a case in my entire "lifetime".....

Another issue I have with Amsoil is price, based on the fact that I do frequent oil changes I always switch my oil before it deteriorates, therefore Amsoil long life would never come into play for me.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• The Valvoline VR1 oil has not been licensed as Dexos certified. Just a guess, but I would not think that Valvoline would be worried about getting a race oil licensed as Dexos compatible even if it meets or exceeds the standards since they have plenty of regular oils that have been licensed as Dexos compatible.
    The Valvoline VR1 oil is not something I would even recommend though for most Slingshots, this is something for forced induction Slingshots that are putting a lot more stress on the engine than a naturally aspirated engine.

Here is the complete list of Dexos compatible oils though if you want to check to see if one is on there -

dexos1™ Gen 2 Brands | GM dexos® Licensing Program

some here have mentioned using 10-30 instead of 5-30
    The GM dexos list has no oil over 5-30
    So do you think it matters or not?

• @Bigdog - As I read Dave's recommendation, it is specific to engines that are boosted with a turbo or SC. I suspect it is because they run hotter than a naturally aspirated stock engine.

If you are stock, then it seems most recommend staying with a good 5w30 dexos oil.

• Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance (15,000 miles) API SN (lab tested 2011)
    Silicon = 5 ppm (anti-foaming agent in new oil, but in used oil, certain gasket materials and dirt can also add to this number)
    Boron = 89 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Magnesium = 666 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Calcium = 942 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Barium = 0 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Total detergent/dispersant (anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge) = 1697 ppm
    Zinc = 890 ppm (anti-wear)
    Phos = 819 ppm (anti-wear)
    Moly = 104 ppm (anti-wear)
    Total anti-wear = 1813 ppm
    Potassium = <5 ppm (anti-freeze inhibitor)
    Sodium = 0 ppm (anti-freeze inhibitor)
    TBN = 7.9 (Total Base Number is an acid neutralizer to prevent corrosion. Most gasoline engine motor oils start with TBN around 8 or 9. And in use, this becomes depleted over time as mileage accumulates)
    Viscosity (cSt at 100*C) = 10.5 (cSt range for SAE 30 is 9.3 to 12.4) And cSt (centistokes) in general terms, represents an oil’s thickness.

• Thinking about trying the Valvoline VR1 5W30 oil once I finish my turbo install. Is this oil still recommend to be changed at 3500 mile intervals in a boosted application, or can I trust its superior wear qualities to last 5000 miles between changes? When I change my own oil, I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and it bugs me to change a 15000 mile rated oil at 5000 miles, but I have due to warranty concerns, but the Polaris warranty has expired. With shipping factored in, the VR1 oil would be close to twice the cost of buying Mobil 1 locally, so costs can mount quickly over time (I tend to average about 400 miles per week).

• An oil change at my dealership is $115...either Mobile or Valvoline are significantly cheaper and I can change it twice for the cost of what the dealer charges.

If it helps keep the bearings and engine happy, I will be changing early and often.

• Thinking about trying the Valvoline VR1 5W30 oil once I finish my turbo install. Is this oil still recommend to be changed at 3500 mile intervals in a boosted application, or can I trust its superior wear qualities to last 5000 miles between changes? When I change my own oil, I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and it bugs me to change a 15000 mile rated oil at 5000 miles, but I have due to warranty concerns, but the Polaris warranty has expired. With shipping factored in, the VR1 oil would be close to twice the cost of buying Mobil 1 locally, so costs can mount quickly over time (I tend to average about 400 miles per week).

Since your turbo is directly cooled by the engine oil, I would never recommend over 3000 miles. Because of the heat from your turbo the oil will break down faster.

they recommend 10-30 for turbos

• I am aware the turbo is cooled by the oil. I just searched thru the PDFs of the Hahn and Alpha turbo install instructions and could not find any recommendation on oil change interval once a turbo is installed. In searching Slingshotinfo.com, the only reference to turbo oil change interval is this thread and none on the old forum. Maybe I used the wrong search phrase, but it seems odd that the major turbo kit manufacturers don't recommend a specific oil change interval.

• Here is Rotella T6 which is what @Turbosling has been recommending, quite popular among tuners here.

I even know of a bunch of people who use it on the bikes with wet clutch(Big no no)and one of them has 75000+ miles on his Versys and swears by this oil.

Physical Properties

Elemental Analysis
    Labeling

Note: Although laboratory tests alone cannot be used to establish if engine oil meets an API Service Category, they can be used to determine if it doesn't.
    [/b]

ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS-bAdditivesContaminantsa- Standards, shown in yellow are established by API, SAE and others.

b-Test Method for metal analysis is ASTM D5185.
    c - This specification is expressed to two significant figures, therefore results up to 13.5 are considered on specification.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Well, when @Turbosling (Henry) installed his turbo in my sling he used Rotella T6. He told me it was the best for turbos, and to change it every 2,500 to 3,000 miles.
    Methinks he knows just a wee bit more about turbos than I do so when he speaks.....I listen!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Well, when @Turbosling (Henry) installed his turbo in my sling he used Rotella T6. He told me it was the best for turbos, and to change it every 2,500 to 3,000 miles.
    Methinks he knows just a wee bit more about turbos than I do so when he speaks.....I listen!!!!

Thanks. I'm just surprised that neither Alpha or Hahn didn't specify an oil change interval in their installation manuals (searching the PDfs didn't find one).

• Thanks. I'm just surprised that neither Alpha or Hahn didn't specify an oil change interval in their installation manuals (searching the PDfs didn't find one).

Agreed!! I searched my Alpha manual several times thinking I missed that info somewhere, but it's not in there. Had I not been with Henry when they did the install, I wouldn't have known the frequency for changing oil. I actually video recorded that conversation so I wouldn't forget some of those details later.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi