Engine Oil Lubricant Discussion Thread

• Hey Joe! You had to replace your engine...no fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No real biggie, i heard it had something to do with the oil.
    I was running it through the 3 sisters in Kerrville, so in and out throttle in twisty's a lot.
    I have read a few here hit rev limits on their engines, but I keep mine below redline, close sometimes but not at it.
    I am fixing to change oil on it to what was recommended for this engine but since I saw this thread, thought I would ask about the weight of oil...

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• I might personally know someone who bounces it off the rev limiter on a regular basis. And if I remember correctly I he doesn't have a built motor.Knock on wood.
    Signed,
    (DDM s resident Idiot)

Oh yea, I beat my stock engine pretty hard with the SC on it, pulled it out with over 12k miles still running great, For some reason the new engine didn't do so well....
    All I know is it was recommended to go 10-30 this time, not sure what's going on as I have oil cooler and bigger radiator added at same time engine was installed so hard to believe just changing from 5-30 to 10-30 would make a difference. May have just been a fluke bad engine, it does happen.

• Oh yea, I beat my stock engine pretty hard with the SC on it, pulled it out with over 12k miles still running great, For some reason the new engine didn't do so well....All I know is it was recommended to go 10-30 this time, not sure what's going on as I have oil cooler and bigger radiator added at same time engine was installed so hard to believe just changing from 5-30 to 10-30 would make a difference. May have just been a fluke bad engine, it does happen.

You coming up to Eureka Springs?

• Thinking about it....that's pretty country up there!

I have about 200 miles on this engine, going to change oil this weekend and put a solid 200 more on it, if all is good I most likely will make that trip, it's not to long a drive and I could use some wind therapy...

• Thinking about it....that's pretty country up there!

I have about 200 miles on this engine, going to change oil this weekend and put a solid 200 more on it, if all is good I most likely will make that trip, it's not to long a drive and I could use some wind therapy...

Best therapy there is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I might personally know someone who bounces it off the rev limiter on a regular basis. And if I remember correctly I he doesn't have a built motor.Knock on wood.
    Signed,
    (DDM s resident Idiot)

I slam the limiter all the time when running hard. It is still in the safe zone when the limiter kicks in. Especially on track days, does that thing get a workout.

• I slam the limiter all the time when running hard. It is still in the safe zone when the limiter kicks in. Especially on track days, does that thing get a workout.

I did not want to derail this thread, I think this is a good topic. I was just interested in thoughts on 5-30 or 10-30 oil in these engines, I want mine to last as long as possible, I know quite a few are running more powerful setups than me and their engines are holding up just fine.

• I did not want to derail this thread, I think this is a good topic. I was just interested in thoughts on 5-30 or 10-30 oil in these engines, I want mine to last as long as possible, I know quite a few are running more powerful setups than me and their engines are holding up just fine.

I use Mobil One extended Milage Synthetic 5-30 along with the matching oil filter.

• Our most recent recommendation based on what we have been seeing with the turbo and supercharged engines is Valvoline VR1 oil in 10w-30. The VR1 oil is technically one of their race oils, but it also has a higher zinc/phosporus content. We have been seeing some wear on the rod bearings coming out of engines that have been ran hard with turbos/superchargers and the higher zinc will help, along with the slightly higher viscosity of the 10w-30 compared to the 5w-30. It is readily available and about the same price as Mobil 1 which is what we have typically used in the past.

More info on Valvolines site - VR1™ Racing Oil (VR1™) : Product Catalog - Valvoline®

VR-1 Oil Specs -
    Valvoline VR1 10W30 Racing Oil (Silver Bottle)
    Total detergent/dispersant (anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge) = 2787 ppm
    Total anti-wear = 3019 ppm

Valvoline VR1 10W30 Racing Oil (Silver Bottle, lab tested 2011)
    This one does NOT have the API symbol, but its text says it exceeds API SM
    Silicon = 10 ppm (anti-foaming agent in new oil, but in used oil, certain gasket materials and dirt can also add to this number)
    Boron = <5 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Magnesium = 73 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Calcium = 2707 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Barium = 3 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Total detergent/dispersant (anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge) = 2787 ppm
    Zinc = 1472 ppm (anti-wear)
    Phos = 1544 ppm (anti-wear)
    Moly = 3 ppm (anti-wear)
    Total anti-wear = 3019 ppm
    Potassium = 6 ppm (anti-freeze inhibitor)
    Sodium = 380 ppm (anti-freeze inhibitor)
    TBN = 7.6 (Total Base Number is an acid neutralizer to prevent corrosion. Most gasoline engine motor oils start with TBN around 8 or 9. And in use, this becomes depleted over time as mileage accumulates)
    Viscosity (cSt at 100*C) = 11.0 (cSt range for SAE 30 is 9.3 to 12.4) And cSt (centistokes) in general terms, represents an oil’s thickness.

Mobil 1 Oil Specs -
    Mobil 1 5W30 API SN
    Total detergent/dispersant (anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge) = 1489 ppm
    Total anti-wear = 1755 ppm

Mobil 1 5W30 API SN (lab tested 2011)
    Silicon = 8 ppm (anti-foaming agent in new oil, but in used oil, certain gasket materials and dirt can also add to this number)
    Boron = 87 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Magnesium = 603 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Calcium = 799 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Barium = 0 ppm (detergent/dispersant, anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge)
    Total detergent/dispersant (anti-deposit buildup/anti-sludge) = 1489 ppm
    Zinc = 801 ppm (anti-wear)
    Phos = 842 ppm (anti-wear)
    Moly = 112 ppm (anti-wear)
    Total anti-wear = 1755 ppm
    Potassium = <5 ppm (anti-freeze inhibitor)
    Sodium = 6 ppm (anti-freeze inhibitor)
    TBN = 7.5 (Total Base Number is an acid neutralizer to prevent corrosion. Most gasoline engine motor oils start with TBN around 8 or 9. And in use, this becomes depleted over time as mileage accumulates)
    Viscosity (cSt at 100*C) = 11.5 (cSt range for SAE 30 is 9.3 to 12.4) And cSt (centistokes) in general terms, represents an oil’s thickness.

• Well, I am supposed to be working, but we really know what I am doing... Shhhhhhhhhh
    Local hub for Napa has it and filter in stock so I will be ready to roll come early Saturday morning!
    I have been reading the details on this oil, just was not sure why I needed it but you explained that well Dave, Thank you! Joe

• Thanks for the write up on the oil Doc. If you are recommending this I will start using on the next oil chance.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• I don't know if you'll have to drain my oil or not, but please refill with the Valvoline if you do.

• Does the valvoline racing oil comply with the Polaris recommendations for warranty purposes?

The Valvoline VR1 oil has not been licensed as Dexos certified. Just a guess, but I would not think that Valvoline would be worried about getting a race oil licensed as Dexos compatible even if it meets or exceeds the standards since they have plenty of regular oils that have been licensed as Dexos compatible.

The Valvoline VR1 oil is not something I would even recommend though for most Slingshots, this is something for forced induction Slingshots that are putting a lot more stress on the engine than a naturally aspirated engine.

Here is the complete list of Dexos compatible oils though if you want to check to see if one is on there -

dexos1™ Gen 2 Brands | GM dexos® Licensing Program

• I've read both in this thread and elsewhere about Amsoil and aviation with the same note about if it's good enough for airplanes. I've been deeply involved in aviation for over 40 years and have zero knowledge of any certified amsoil products for aircraft. There have been homebuilts, RCs and experimental aircraft using amsoil generally because their owners have drunk the kool-aid and also because they don't have normal aircraft engines in them.. Most certified piston aircraft use straight 50 weight dino oil, there are some multi weights and some of those have minimal synthetic oil mixed in. These engines still use (very) leaded fuel and it was found out the hard way that pure synthetics don't scrub lead deposits very well. The first and only certified pure synthetic (Mobil 1) paid for a lot of 40K aircraft engines.
    Moral of the story, don't think if amsoil is good for planes it must be for cars, etc---2 different beasts. Conversely, even though Mobil 1 destroyed many an airplane, I still use it in most of my vehicles.
    P.S..here's a clip from an Amsoil site:

WHAT THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

• AMSOIL lubricants used in any manned aircraft or aviation application.
    • AMSOIL lubricants that have been used for the purposes of racing.