Engine Oil Lubricant Discussion Thread

• The first person to recommend Amsoil here will get sent to find Ocean frontage in Arkansas. I won't ever buy it just due to the multilevel pyramid scheme crap they use to sell it...If they found out tomorrow that it would increase you male anatomy by 5 inches just by owning a bottle I still wouldn't buy it.... :D:D:D

I guess if you like it then just use it..... but somehow I always end up in some debate over how versatile Amsoil is. And then they send me a link to how many engines they have saved by using it..... NOOOOOOO just say no....

I enjoyed the humor in your anti-Amsoil post. No one on the forum should be thin-skinned or without a sense of humor. Also, as an Amsoil fan, I appreciate the offer, but I don't need any additional ocean frontage in Arkansas.

It should be noted that most everything you buy comes to market through a multi-level pyramid scheme. Traditionally the levels are labeled manufacturer, distributor, retailer and customer. The same labels can be applied within Amsoil's distribution chain. It's just conventional versus non-conventional. Nothing else.

Regardless of your position about their product marketing, Amsoil produces great products! They begin with top quality base stock synthetic oil and combine it with application-specific additives. Combined with good base stock, everyone agrees that it is the additive package that makes the oil. Without argument, Mobil 1 is an excellent oil for automobiles, but Amsoil produces multiple products in this category: OEM, XL and Signature Series, each one with increasing levels of additives and durability. Z-Rod is there for older flat-tappet engines that need more ZDDP, or zinc. I use the Signature Series 5W-30 (ASL) in my Slingshot.

For gear boxes you can use their transmission fluid or step up to their series of gear lubes. Even small engines have their own oil. I'm only going into all of this to illustrate that with Amsoil you can more likely match a lubricant to your desired application.

Don't shoot me or send me to Arkansas in search of real estate. I'm not an employee of Amsoil, nor am I a dealer. I'm just a gearhead that has researched and formed my own opinions regarding lubricants and want to share them.

• I knew I could pull you Amsoil users out from the shadows with my post! :D:D:D .

Just messing with you guys.... I am sure its good oil. I just think they way they "want to set you up as a dealer" is a bit strange....

The one thing that impressed me was the way you can use one type of oil in everything oil replaced on a Harley. And Harley is ok with it!

That makes it easy to keep oil at home if your a Harley owner. Like I said I used the smiley faces in my post above with a little humor. I was hoping it wouldn't be taken to seriously. I was wondering how long before one of you guys busted at the seams to reply to it..... :*:*

I personally think most current oils work well if you service you bike or car on a regular basis. Im sure down at the core they are all the same anyway. Its just the proprietary additives that extends the life and functionality go each brand. I have a friend that buys his oil for his BMW motorcycle (one with the parallel cylinders) at Dollar General. I think it even says MOTOR OIL 30W on the plastic bottles. :D He changes his oil every 3000 to 4000 miles and I would bet that its probably as clean as any other high end oil. It runs perfect and he has been riding it for 2 years that I know of.....

Thanks for replying to the Amsoil bait I put out......... :D And for taking my post the right way..... :thumbsup:

P.S. I just want you to know that we go thru about 6 cases of oil a month with all the cars and bikes that frequent my shop here. (I can see you getting your dealer sign up sheet back out)..... Im just messing with you again.... This is way to easy..... :D

• I think Amsoil is a great product. I had some uses in past that have been excellent. However, like Rab brought out, purchasing it is a pain in the butt with their "Amway" of doing business. As most modern Syn oils are excellent there's no reason to go out of your way and pay top dollar for Amsoil to keep the pyramid going.

• Sadly that is the case for a lot of mlm companies. People invest a lot of money and get burnt. I was far from the foundation, actually got in about 8 years after the launch. I was lucky to have smart mentors and a awesome team. At our peak, my team was 750 strong doing about 88K in products a month.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• Sadly that is the case for a lot of mlm companies. People invest a lot of money and get burnt. I was far from the foundation, actually got in about 8 years after the launch. I was lucky to have smart mentors and a awesome team. At our peak, my team was 750 strong doing about 88K in products a month.

Nice.... I am for anything that keeps the dollars moving from hand to hand... Glad it is working well for you...

• Excellent input so far, and our current thread flavor does touch on an important part of the modern engine oil game that I'd like to expound upon a bit: Marketing.

Companies that are long on marketing are typically compensating for being short on something else. All too often, that something else is usually engineering and product development. That lavish marketing funding has to come from somewhere, after all, and R&D can be what suffers.

My strategy for both my own oil use, as well as what we advise customers, is fairly succinct: avoid the "boutique" brands (Amsoil, Royal Purple, the like) and rely on the larger well-known name brands like Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, the like. The name brands are much more likely to reflect state-of-the art chemical capability; the small brands, not so much. I have seen much carnage over the years that I have been able to directly correlate to use of boutique oils, and it's sharpened my sensibilities about who's offering what to us.

Now, I see we have an Amsoil fan here, and I will offer that of the smaller brands, I'd take Amsoil over many. Having been primarily aviation-based in its formative years has left Amsoil with a fairly competent product, as airplanes are certainly no place to cut corners. All the same, I still defer to the big players for being my preferred go-to. Probably because I don't make any money selling Amsoil :thumbsup:

• 5". I'll settle for 3.

My mechanic said taking the zinc out of oil is resulting in a higher rate of engine failures...he uses a zinc additive

My GMC pick up requires a mixture of half oil half synthetic or it voids the warranty. Same for the SS right?

If we add zinc will it void the warranty?

• So, what weight oil do you guys run in your SS?
    Here in Texas it's pretty hot, it was recommended to me to run 10w-30 synthetic. I like to run it hard at times but not abuse it, 1st built engine went out pretty fast, from what I gathered was an oil problem, rather not go through that again....

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

Here in Texas it's pretty hot, it was recommended to me to run 10w-30 synthetic. I like to run it hard at times but not abuse it, 1st built engine went out pretty fast, from what I gathered was an oil problem, rather not go through that again....

Joe,
    You know how funny that sounds.....funny. "I like to run it hard at times but not abuse it" then follow with "1st built engine went out pretty fast"
    You're killing me.
    Just having some fun.
    :POKESS::POKESS::POKESS::POKESS::POKESS::POKESS::POKESS:

Hey Joe! You had to replace your engine...no fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk