HELP On The Road

• I have to assume because it has been 2hrs and no reply to @'KayTwo''s question that you have some help already. This is a good example of a situation where having a "SS Rescue" set up similar to the GWRRA's Gold Book would come in handy.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I have to assume because it has been 2hrs and no reply to @'KayTwo''s question that you have some help already. This is a good example of a situation where having a "SS Rescue" set up similar to the GWRRA's Gold Book would come in handy.

No help as of yet. I will cup thinking about this and then went back to bed. But now it’s almost 8 AM and hoping someone will message me soon

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• So is your Sling still on the side of the road and needs a tow, or you have it at home and need some assistance in fixing it, or...?

I am 200 miles from home and manage to hobble it to the next exit and a hotel.
    Besides other damage that is mostly superficial, the tie rod has a bad kink in it. I will try to watch this post while I am inquiring around to find a mechanic or someone with tools that I can straighten the tire rod for now. Then I will return all and miss the Oyster run at Anacortes Wa

• I am 200 miles from home and manage to hobble it to the next exit and a hotel.
    Besides other damage that is mostly superficial, the tie rod has a bad kink in it. I will try to watch this post while I am inquiring around to find a mechanic or someone with tools that I can straighten the tire rod for now. Then I will return all and miss the Oyster run at Anacortes Wa

Straightening it might be tough, and certainly not permanent.

@Slingrazor, @MACAWS (or anyone else), do you know if the tie rod for the slingshot is a readily available commercial product, or is it Polaris-only?

@silver fox, glad you're ok, that's the most important thing. Parts can be fixed.

• Unfortunately Lynnwood is 180 miles from me and farther from @BryanL. I have a houseguest today that just got out of the hospital from a major surgery and is convalescing here until he can drive home to the Oregon coast. I'm not sure what I can do to help. Without seeing the extent of the bend, straightening a tie rod could be a challenging roadside fix and risks breaking it. That's usually the result in the woods. I don't know if driving it home like that on the freeway would be my choice. I don't have a trailer that fits the Slingshot but perhaps a U-Haul with a wooden plank in the center like @Nemesis1701 has done would get it home. Keep us posted @silver fox. I wish I was closer.

Trailside fix with bailing wire - NOT freeway worthy!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Unfortunately Lynnwood is 180 miles from me and farther from @BryanL. I have a houseguest today that just got out of the hospital from a major surgery and is convalescing here until he can drive home to the Oregon coast. I'm not sure what I can do to help. Without seeing the extent of the bend, straightening a tie rod could be a challenging roadside fix and risks breaking it. That's usually the result in the woods. I don't know if driving it home like that on the freeway would be my choice. I don't have a trailer that fits the Slingshot but perhaps a U-Haul with a wooden plank in the center like @Nemesis1701 has done would get it home. Keep us posted @silver fox. I wish I was closer.

Trailside fix with bailing wire - NOT freeway worthy!

It has about 15° band I will try to post a pic

• My non-expert opinion is that it is likely to break if you fully straighten it and, if not, could break under power. If it were me, I would either replace it or trailer it home. The chances of a nearby dealer having that part in stock might not be too high. Does anyone out here on the west coast have a trailer? I could get up there tomorrow.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• @silver fox sorry for the bent TR. I'm on the opposite end of the country so can only offer some possible field repair suggestion. Unfortunately the SS does not come with a scissor Jack but if you can source one there is one possible method. Place the scissor jack under the bent section, and secure to the top of the Jack base with whatever is available. Cord, strap or even good old duck tape. The trick will be to keep the bent section from rotating and you start to Jack up. Unfortunately the SS does not have a lot of weight so I'm unsure if it will do much to straighten out. This is sometimes used on off-road trail rides on Jeep's. We usually have a lot more tools to make this work. Hell I always carried spares but that's not helping you, sorry. This may be worth trying if you are just sitting and have nothing else to do.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @silver fox sorry for the bent TR. I'm on the opposite end of the country so can only offer some possible field repair suggestion. Unfortunately the SS does not come with a scissor Jack but if you can source one there is one possible method. Place the scissor jack under the bent section, and secure to the top of the Jack base with whatever is available. Cord, strap or even good old duck tape. The trick will be to keep the bent section from rotating and you start to Jack up. Unfortunately the SS does not have a lot of weight so I'm unsure if it will do much to straighten out. This is sometimes used on off-road trail rides on Jeep's. We usually have a lot more tools to make this work. Hell I always carried spares but that's not helping you, sorry. This may be worth trying if you are just sitting and have nothing else to do.

I wish I could try that! But for some reason I have not found the jack on my slingshot yet!!

Stranded searching for a mechanic, none to be found I’m at the corner of 44th Ave., West and Alderwood in Lynnwood just north of Seattle my phone 971-301-3329

• Outside looking at mine now and you wouldn't be able to get the Jack in the correct spot anyway - A-Arm is in the way more than I remembered. I'll noodle a bit more.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Do you have any tools with you?

If you can remove the TRE from the knuckle you can try the same trick noted without a jack. Unfortunately this will require a long pipe. If disconnect you can push the wheel/tire back out of the way. Rotate the TRE tube so that the bend is facing up and then raise it until it hits your sway bar. Using the same strap, cord, duck tape method secure it to the sway day (bend up). The pipe would then be slipped over the end and you would pull up on the bar until it is as straight A's possible. Sorry because now the issue is getting a pipe. If someone can find a hardware store they usually have pre-cut black pipe in the correct ID and length.

(Slingshot Owners Group)