Worth the money??

• My dealer recommended that I let them do my first 500-mile oil change and service (I just cracked 500 miles today). Check that clutch, belt tension, and other systems are adjusted correctly and everything working properly. Their charge for this? $185.

Not that two hundred bucks is outta sight for a service call at a dealer these days - but I just wonder if anyone on the forum has to say on this one...

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Worth it to some - not to others. It's your call. I enjoy changing my own oil and save a ton on the dozen or so gas motors I maintain. Belt and systems checks are not difficult, and can be done quickly, but if you don't know what and how to check, it won't get done. The clutch shouldn't need anything more than keeping the reservoir topped off.. The belt tension is important but does not change rapidly under normal use and circumstances. Greasing the u-joint requires the proper equipment (grease gun and needle tip) but is not expensive to acquire. You could spend the money of one service on the service manual and do it yourself - if you want.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Worth it to some - not to others. It's your call. I enjoy changing my own oil and save a ton on the dozen or so gas motors I maintain. Belt and systems checks are not difficult, and can be done quickly, but if you don't know what and how to check, it won't get done. The clutch shouldn't need anything more than keeping the reservoir topped off.. The belt tension is important but does not change rapidly under normal use and circumstances. Greasing the u-joint requires the proper equipment (grease gun and needle tip) but is not expensive to acquire. You could spend the money of one service on the service manual and do it yourself - if you want.

Thanks, @Slingrazor that's pretty much what I thought. I think a trip to O'Reilly's Auto Parts for a filter, GM filter wrench, and some good synthetic oil is in order....
    Then spending some quality time with some Sam Owens videos and tools.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Before I got on this forum, I was fortunate enough to find "Sam the Man" Owens. Lol! on YouTube. He has been instrumental in allowing me to do ALL of my own maintenance. I am no mechanic by any means but I have always done my own oil changes and other stuff, brakes, filters, ect. Now this is the part I will take a beating for and leave some people scratching their head. I own 128 pieces of equipment/cars or trucks that take some type of oil and filters. I buy every single filter and oil from Wal-Mart, the house brand Super-tech. This is including the SS. I have NEVER lost an engine or had one smoking. Cheaper is not always better and you get what you pay for. I am a firm believer of that but this stuff has never let me down. Btw, I hate Wal-Mart. I just can't argue with what makes sense.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• You can buy the tools you need but don't have and still be money ahead.
    I actually pull the fluid out of the clutch reservoir with a might vac and replace it at service time. A bottle of DOT 4 isn't expensive.

• You can buy the tools you need but don't have and still be money ahead.
    I actually pull the fluid out of the clutch reservoir with a might vac and replace it at service time. A bottle of DOT 4 isn't expensive.

I just use paper towels for the clutch master cylinder and then refill. I do it about every oil change. I also bleed the brakes at the same time. (Gravity Bleed) for the brakes with clear tubing.

• I feel I have to share what happened at my dealer to make me want to do my own maintenance more than ever. I went in to my dealer one month after getting my SS. I was at the parts counter asking about an oil change. The lead mechanic was on a stool at the parts counter. I asked if they had ever put a turbo on a SS. The lead mechanic said; "yes and it took us like two weeks, I'm a motorcycle mechanic and not a car mechanic, I wish those things would have never came here". I wouldn't dare take mine to my local dealer for any work at all. I hated taking it in for a couple of small recalls. I will say this. Both recalls were while I waited. I don't want anybody working on any of my vehicles that doesn't want to. A little off topic but before some people decide to go to a dealer, maybe this might help them form an opinion. Not all dealers have this disposition I'm sure.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Any of us that have owned one for a while knows as much as most of the SS mechanics. Most of them are still learning...

If we had complete access to digital wrench...we could all be mechanics...
    Polaris sells mostly quads....not two wheelers so where did they come up with that guy?

• I did my first oil change leaning over the passenger front tire....I could reach the plug from there...since I installed the welter duel exhaust and had to move the metal water line closer to the motor it kinda blocked my view. I installed the fomoto drain valve last oil change.
    You also need the extension adapter....to make it stick out farther.

• yep - - its in my tool box waiting for the next oil change

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• How much smarter would you be and how much more could you do if you had access to the digital wrench when you want to work on your SS?

How many other SS mechanics are only motorcycle (2 wheel) mechanics? Most of them are learning as they go...just like us.

I’d sacrifice my left......for a digital wrench...

• how many of your posts quote the owners or maintenance manual with a bazillion questions - digital wrench does not provide you with the skill, detail, or knowledge on how to fix - it's just like an OBD where you get the code not the skill

Give it time future years will move to OBD

• Digital wrench won't make you smarter.

• 1. That's not true - so very far from it. A diagnostic tool can't make you a mechanic
    2. Victory

Not to mention:

3. Indian

4. Snowmobiles

5. Slingshot!

My brother-in-law has been a Volvo mechanic for 42 years. He say he's learned more in the last 5 than the 1st 37. So yeah, you learn or you become useless. Just like doctors and lawyers who are still 'practicing'.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)