Rear tire

• At the point when I’ll be replacing my rear tire soon, and looking for recommendations. Should I stay with Kenda, or are there better options out there. Any thought/suggestions would be appreciated....

Latts

• @latts it depends a great deal on your driving style. I currently run the Nitto's noted and really like them on the front. I have the 20" rear rim and do like it back there but will be looking for something with a little more sticking power.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Many, many threads on this forum about tires, but the bottom line will depend on your driving style and how much you are willing to spend.

Search for "tire" on here and see all of the input from dozens of drivers with thousands of miles on their machines.

• I’m not burning rubber all day ....but I drive a little aggressively at times...I’m on my second Kenda and it’s about to crap out too...with under 12,000 miles. First one lasted 7,000 miles.

I just bought a Nitto 555 G2 model number 211010 20

My thoughts on tires period ...why not get as much tread as possible on a new tire...
    The Kendas start out with only 8/32” of tread and they wear out at 3/32”.

The Nitto starts with 11/32” new....basically the same money for each tire.

I do the same on all my vehicles, I just bought 4 new pickup tires and they start out with 16.5/32” tread. Deepest I could find that fit my truck without being a totally off road tire. Have the same tires on two vans also. Great snow tread.

• At the point when I’ll be replacing my rear tire soon, and looking for recommendations. Should I stay with Kenda, or are there better options out there. Any thought/suggestions would be appreciated....

Latts

Personally I think the Kendas are pretty much junk and I will not be buying them again. If you do buy them please do not pay Polaris's crazy price. The Kenda Kaiser is the exact same tire as Polaris sells without the Slingshot logo and it can be found for much much less money

Anyway - when my back tire needed replacement I read all of the tire info on here I could find and found that the Nitto 555 G2's seem to be highly regarded and I actually had one in my cart and was ready to buy it when I decided to try something different - -if you dont know my slingshot is my daily driver its not just a fair weather toy like it is for many others here as such I get caught in the rain several times a year and wet traction is very important to me - I figured that since the 555 G2 was so highly regarded I would stay in the Nitto line which is where I found the Nitto Motivo - Just like the 555 the Motivo is classified as an "ultra high performance" tire, but instead of being a summer tire it is an all season tire - its dry traction is a bit lower than the 555 G2, but its wet traction is much higher and it also is rated with a 60,000 mile tread life. Anyway I figured I would give it a try knowing that if it didnt work out switching to a 555 G2 was fairly affordable

I have now put about 3000 miles on the Motivo and I am extremely happy I have no clue how it would have compared to the 555 G2, but I can say it is much better than the Kenda. As an all season tire I fully expected it to be better in the wet, but much to my surprise I have found it to hold better than the Kenda even in dry summer conditions. I have absolutely no regrets and when it comes time to replace my front tires I will be replacing them with the Motivo as well

in case this interests you here are the charts from Nittos site https://www.nittotire.com/pass…ra-high-performance-tire/

555 G2

and Motivo

like I said a bit lower for dry traction in exchange for a bit better wet and hopefully some tire life

Now just to be clear, if the sling was not my daily driver and I only took it out on nice days for a ride I feel fairly sure that I would be getting the Nitto 555G2's all the way around. My choice of the Motive was totally motivated by my use of my slingshot

One bit of advice I will offer up - tire companies have their own testing methods this can be very useful when comparing tires made and tested by the same company like the above charts, but use caution when comparing ratings and numbers from one company to the numbers from another company there is a good chance that they were not tested the same way.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have a 2015 Base Slingshot w/ around 43000 miles on it and I'm on my 5th rear tire. I replaced my factory rear tire with another Kenda (same size and cost around $135 mounted) and I got around 10K miles from each one. I then went to a Sumtiomo HTR ZIII 295/30ZR18* ($200+ mounted) tire from which I only got around 7K miles. I then replaced it with a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18** (about $120 mounted) and got around 9K miles from it with some more tread left, but I wanted a wider tire after finally getting my turbo installed. I now run a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 (about $240 mounted) on an American Muscle 10th Anniversary Cobra Style 17 x 10.5" Mustang wheel ($149). (This wheel has a 28 mm Offset, so the wheel sits over 1" off-center, but I have not experienced any handling problems). The Nitto 555 G2 has a UTQG of 320, so I hope it will last a little longer than the Kendas, which had a 300 UTQG tread rating. The Sumitomo HTR ZIII also had a UTQG of 300, but the tire wore more quickly than the Kendas. The Nankang NS-20 has a UTQG of 360, so it should last a little more than the Kendas.

If your Slingshot has a 20 x 9" rear wheel, Nitto says you can use up to a 275/35ZR20 tire, which should give a true speed of a little over 66 mph at an indicated speed of 65.

* The Sumitomo HTR ZIII tire is a mildly asymmetrical tire as is the Nitto Motivo referred to above. Some people believe you should never use an asymmetric tire on a single wheeled axle such as we have on the Slingshot. I did not experience any handling problems with the Sumitomo HTR ZIII when I had it on the rear wheel. @edwardaneal has also not reported any problems with the Motivo either. If my Nitto 555 G2 doesn't give me a longer tread life than I got from the Kendas, I am considering using a Motivo 315/35R17 (also about $240 mounted) as a replacement since it is warranted for 60K miles and should hopefully provide longer tread life even when used as a single rear tire. If I could get 20K+ miles from the Motivo on the rear, I'd be very happy.

** Some people feel the Nankang NS-20 tire has a soft sidewall. I noticed when driving on the Interstate, that the rear seemed to sway slightly in response to minor steering wheel movements, but during quick lane changes from one lane to another and back again at Interstate speeds, I didn't notice any handling problems.

Using the Forum's Search feature, you'll find a seemingly overwhelming amount of posts about tires, but it can be worth the time to go thru everything. Some people firmly believe in not buying low-cost tires, others don't. A lot of the Ultra High performance tires offer great traction, yet they also seem to be pretty expensive. Personally, I look for the longest tread life with good grip at a reasonable price.

• Well said and thanks for the input. That is so where I will be at when it is tire time "Longest tread life with good grip at a reasonable price" :thumbup:

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Treadwear grade
    A government-required number that indicates a tire’s expected wear. A grade of 300 denotes a tire that will wear three times as well as a tire graded 100. But the numbers are assigned by tire manufacturers, not an independent third party.

So that means that number means nothing.

• Treadwear grade
    A government-required number that indicates a tire’s expected wear. A grade of 300 denotes a tire that will wear three times as well as a tire graded 100. But the numbers are assigned by tire manufacturers, not an independent third party.

The numbers do not mean nothing as you say - when comparing tires made by the same manufacture where the testing method used is the same for the tires being compared these numbers can be very helpful.

• The numbers do not mean nothing as you say - when comparing tires made by the same manufacture where the testing method used is the same for the tires being compared these numbers can be very helpful.

Even when comparing between manufacturers, just remember to see what actual users of the tire have to say as far as their tire life and traction for that matter.
    Here's what Consumer Reports has to say about the UTQG ratings system - Understanding the UTQG car tire-grading system - Consumer Reports. While each manufacturer may provide their own ratings, it is still against a government-set standard, old as the standard may be. As CR says, look at the manufacturer's mileage projection as a better indicator as to how long a tire should last. Generally speaking, a higher UTQG usually also means the tire will also have a longer tread wear warranty.
    Also,keep in mind that the Slingshot's rear tire is more stressed than it would be on a 4-wheel vehicle,so expect less than half the mileage a manufacturer may claim. When a tire is used in a non-rotated application like the Slingshot, most manufacturers will only warrant the tire for half the normal tread life warranty, or may not warrant it in that application.

• Even when comparing between manufacturers, just remember to see what actual users of the tire have to say as far as their tire life and traction for that matter.Here's what Consumer Reports has to say about the UTQG ratings system - Understanding the UTQG car tire-grading system - Consumer Reports. While each manufacturer may provide their own ratings, it is still against a government-set standard, old as the standard may be. As CR says, look at the manufacturer's mileage projection as a better indicator as to how long a tire should last. Generally speaking, a higher UTQG usually also means the tire will also have a longer tread wear warranty.
    Also,keep in mind that the Slingshot's rear tire is more stressed than it would be on a 4-wheel vehicle,so expect less than half the mileage a manufacturer may claim. When a tire is used in a non-rotated application like the Slingshot, most manufacturers will only warrant the tire for half the normal tread life warranty, or may not warrant it in that application.

I agree - Nitto says the Motivo is good for 60,000. on my Slingshot I am hoping that translates into something close to 20,000 - heck even if I get 15,000 I will be more than happy. Right now I have about 4,000 on it and it still looks new so I am optimistic. One thing nice is by sticking with the stock size these Nitto tires are only around $140 so it doesn't kill the wallet having to replace one.

• The numbers do not mean nothing as you say - when comparing tires made by the same manufacture where the testing method used is the same for the tires being compared these numbers can be very helpful.

It matters if you’re comparing other brands, which is more often the case.

I use those numbers to indicate how soft the tire compound is. Which in turn should give you an indication of the type of mileage you can expect. Just an indication. To me it also means how much grip the tire has. More grip less mileage.

• Treadwear grade

It matters if you’re comparing other brands, which is more often the case.
    I use those numbers to indicate how soft the tire compound is. Which in turn should give you an indication of the type of mileage you can expect. Just an indication. To me it also means how much grip the tire has. More grip less mileage.

So, which post are we supposed to accept? The first one where you say the rating is meaningless because it's assigned by the manufacturer or the second where you say it's useful when comparing different brands and you're then comparing one manufacturer's apples to another manufacturer's oranges? It can't be both ways. ?(

• And we all know the manufactures would NEVER fudge their numbers to make things look better than they actually are...to you and their competition...

VW didn’t really cheat on the POLUTION software to make their vehicles pass our government standards..... gee, why would they do that? Only because it involves millions of dollars...

Wait for it....”the checks in the mail”......

If they don’t get called out on it....it never happened ...RIGHT?

And if you noticed there aren’t any odd numbers just even....and it appears there is 25 points between each ....300-325-....no 321...

Sounds like there is a lot of leeway and they would never take advantage of that...

I’m not one to trust every manufacture to be totally above board.

How come everytime there is a data breach involving hacking of our personal information the first estimate isn’t even close to the actual number of people involved? Because they lied....deliberately....

Nobody wants the stock value to fall before they can dump it...and screw you.

By the way, I have a bridge for sale that’s in excellent shape...(wink) really...

At best those numbers are a loosely based guideline....I wouldn’t bet the farm on them.
    Fine print disclaimer.....your mileage may vary...

A 60,000 mile tire and were hoping for 10,000...??????

• I am totally sold on the Nitto 555 G2 for my rear tire and will stay with it.
    After logging almost 50,000 miles on the Continental DW Extreme Contact (Good in rain but a little “Slidey” in the twisties) , BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 (Great tire and would equal the Nitto) , I am running the Sport Comp 2 on the fronts and the Nitto 555 G2 on the rear and with the new alignment I finally can hang with @Slingrazor in the twisties..... until I chicken out!

• just replaced rear tire with Achilles ATR Sport High Performance Tire - 255/35ZR20 97W. Paid $68.00 for tire and 24.37 to mount & balance. Curious to see how it works out.

Got 21k from my Kenda.

Be careful with that tire, I have read nothing but stories about those self destructing themselves in high heat.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.