Bad Mods - or, "don't do what I did"

• Last night I was thinking about how fortunate I have been to have the guidance of all of you here with the information that you have provided as I add mods and personalize my Slingshot. I can honestly say that thanks to you all I have been mostly protected from making any major mistakes as I have tried to personalize and improve my Sling and for the most part if I had to start over again there is very little I would change.

Anyway as I was thinking about this I thought it might be a good idea if there were a place where people could share the bad mods, the things you would change if you were starting over again.

The one mod I have made that I would do differently is my marine vinyl shift boot - in an attempt to save money I bought it from Amazon instead of getting from the vendors we all trust - The boot I got works and it isn't terrible, but the stitched seam that runs up the side does not run nicely up the back like it does on the slightly more expensive boots sold by slingmods & slingshotonly and it cant be positioned to do so and still fit in the shift well properly. It just does not look as finished as I would like and it buggs me. If I had to do it again I would spring the extra $10 and buy from a trusted vendor - so to anyone thinking about this mod - don't be cheep like I was, spend the extra $10 and buy the better boot.

So what are your bad mods?

what have you tried that if asked you would steer others away from?

no need to list the goods mods here there are plenty of threads for that already.

this is a place for the bad ones and the not so great ones

Please share - - the money you save - - - - - might be mine

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Wolo 619 Air Horn.

https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-619-Big-Bad-Horn/dp/B008J151H4

Took the time to make a custom bracket and wired it to only have 2 of them break on me. They are junk. For me, if you can mount a new horn in the stock location, it isn't worth doing.

I bought a six tone horn in Vietnam that is very similar in looks but slightly larger than the stock horn’s and I mounted them in the same position. They look great and sound even better with their multi tone and pitch that they emit!

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I bought a six tone horn in Vietnam that is very similar in looks but slightly larger than the stock horn’s and I mounted them in the same position. They look great and sound even better with their multi tone and pitch that they emit!

Thread derailed on the second reply to the original post. 'Bout par for this place. :P:00008172::00008172:

• Great topic

My generic imitation rear fender for half the price that was missing some hardware and I ended up painting it twice. And it hits my license plate holder and I had to make a shorter one and it still didn’t help and now I mounted it on the frame instead of the swing arm. And I’m waiting to see how this works.

That’s also why I bought the fiberglass grille gap fillers instead of making my own.

• had a feeling your fender might show up in this thread - good for people to know :)

• Clarion CMS5 radio / head unit - many, many issues, defects, and challenges for the cost.

Polk Audio speakers in the front speaker pods. Speakers are fine but the grills have sharp points that grind into you leg when driving. Changed them out after only a few days.

• I bought a used Twist Dynamics Flat-Bottom steering wheel and didn't realize the hub it came with was drilled with two different sets of mounting holes for different brands of steering wheel. I didn't pay attention when removing the hub from the steering wheel and when I went to reattach the wheel to the hub, I couldn't get the steering wheel mounting holes to line up with what I was sure were the correct mounting holes. I kept trying to use the incorrect set of holes and eventually decided I should just drill the holes a little larger so the steering wheel would fit. I got it on, but the mounting holes in the steering wheel were just large enough that the steering wheel would feel too loose if the screws loosened even a tiny bit. When I finally realized my screw-up, I took a chance and bought an unusual steering wheel that is designed slightly off-center so when turning the wheel, the perimeter of the wheel is not a circle.
    It works fine, but during tight turns, using the flat portion of the wheel does require more effort compared to normal steering via the top of the wheel.
    I bought a piece of aluminum and am considering drilling it to provide the correct mounting hole positioning and then securing the aluminum piece to the TD steering wheel so the mounting screw holes are firmly and properly positioned. This would then allow me to firmly secure the TD steering wheel and correct my screw-up.

Bottom line is simply make sure you're doing everything correctly and don't assume you're doing it correctly. All I needed to do in the first place was simply to have noted which set of the hub mounting holes I needed to use!

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Painting plastic pieces myself. I wanted to paint parts of the engine when I put in the red hoses to match. Then those famous last words: "While I'm at it..."

Krylon plastic paint just doesn't look good on the sling. And no matter my technique, I couldn't prevent every run due to the nooks and crannies everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Hats off to the original poster. Excellent thread.

Thanks - glad you like it. Just seemed reasonable that if people share the bad crap it would help me and others avoid doing the same things. hopefully this thread will make it easier to find for all of us

• Corbin Bags. That is all....

I take that back. I did get one of those "color matched" stick on frames that fit around the radio. It didn't match that well, and really to me was just too much. I took that off and have run the stock look since.

• By far this is the biggest mistake I have made since I bought my SS. Before I got on this forum, I got on a Polaris Razor forum on they said this paint was a dead on match for the lime squeeze paint on my SLR LE. Not even close. I was going to paint the black hood vent. Thank God I decided to paint the tag holder first just to make sure it matched. The picture doesn't even come close to representing how far off it is.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• painting my own sling,.... so I'm doing it again for the 4th time, ;( 1st time white, 2nd time white with pearl flake, 3rd time white with prism flake and air brushed graphics, 4th time,.... not white :D

Wait, wait, Dean, you're painting over those most excellent graphics you created? What the, what the...? Can't wait to see how you one-up yourself.